A Big Request...

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
yymca6

Re: A Big Request...

Post by yymca6 »

mitchellmichael wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:32 pm
Track06 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:57 pm :shock: Thank you, Mrbeatleg!

Not only it has the all 4 rolls, it also is a rip of yellow dog's "day by day". A/B Road uses a folddown of it.
But what is "what we had"? it looks partially lossless while it shouldn't, noise level is lower and it runs at slightly different speed. I'm puzzled. Anybody got a clue?

What do I have to do to get the other 75 from that GOOD source? You wouldn't send the set to me for doing some exact audio copies, would you?
It's such a shame this important release isn't circulating in the quality it deserves. :cry:
I noticed the file size difference with the new Vol 29 folder vs the old. Should we beg MrBeatleg for an upload of his entire "old school" copy of this set? :D :D :D
That would be the quality we'd be looking for, right?
I definitely agree with you on this request.
And I shall re-tag this eventual upload with great pleasure since I already tagged the previously downloaded set.

I checked MrBeatleg's Volume 29 disc 1 and noticed it was not tagged, thus my offer.
Yves
r9453

Post by r9453 »

But what is "what we had"? it looks partially lossless while it shouldn't, noise level is lower and it runs at slightly different speed. I'm puzzled. Anybody got a clue?

I see what you mean, its almost as if those three tracks (aka rolls) come from a lossless transfer.

For those wondering WTF, notice there is a distinct cut-off at 15k in the Mrbeatleg version which is how I imagine it should appear. Whereas the "what we had" version goes right up to 22k (lossless).
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

r9453 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:57 pm For those wondering WTF, notice there is a distinct cut-off at 15k in the Mrbeatleg version which is how I imagine it should appear. Whereas the "what we had" version goes right up to 22k (lossless).
Why should the proper DBD have the 15k cut-off? it should be all lossless. Russian-made silvers of almost all DBD volumes have the cut-off. Mr Beatleg says his set is original, and that is puzzling, how come there's a cut-off.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

from A/B Road's notes:

This set has long been the subject of debate… is it lossy or not?

Basically the two arguments go like this:

1) Uncompressed: These thousands of 16 minute reels were recorded on a set of Nagra recorders for possible film use. The tape and recorders used likely didn't reproduce the entire spectrum from 20 Hz to 20kHz – these were not the tapes used for the albums. The lack of dynamic range on the equipment and media would produce high-end roll off around where we see the MP3 codecs of today roll off, and that makes these tapes appear lossy, when they simply were not recorded full-spectrum.

2) Compressed: Regardless of the frequency reproduction range of the recorders and media (tape), a lot of this set exhibits characteristics of ATRAC compression on a graphic frequency analyzer, like that found on MiniDisc recorders. Old analog equipment wouldn't produce these kinds of characteristics, so it is likely these tracks went through a MiniDisc recorder at some point.

The dilema: No one… NO ONE seems to have these tracks in any other quality. They all seem to be the same, no matter where you get them from, and now that the original reels have been recovered (see the story above (you were reading, weren't you ? :) ), it doesn't seem that we'll ever see a cleaner, more pure transfer.

It is my opinion that this set was archived from reels to MiniDisc and the source for the splicing was those MiniDisc transfers. I'd be surprised if a lossless transfer to digital was ever done of this 98 HOURS of audio. Since this seems to be all there is to have, The Traders Den has made a special exemption for this set, to allow it to be posted – just like if a concert was only recorded to MiniDisc and that's the only way it exists.

It is very rare to notice any of the ATRAC artifacts when listening to these recordings. ATRAC is much more pleasant than MP3, even at high rates, and doesn't exhibit any obvious "swishy" aliasing on this particular set, at all.
r9453

Post by r9453 »

Is it possible that DBD (Yellow Dog) predates A/B Road (Purple Chick) and therefor is from a different earlier transfer without MD in the lineage? From what I could find after a quick google search, YD was released in 2000 and PC in 2004.

Also, I'm not sure if DBD was released as a complete set, or over an extended period, maybe years. During which time fakes began to emerge.

For example, when you search the wayback machine for YDD001 you get:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190327014 ... ame=ydd001

But for YDD057 (which is Vol 29 CD 1) you get this one labelled as fake:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190327013 ... ame=ydd057

Beatleg historians wanted :!:
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

Mrbeatleg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:44 pm are there any other Volumes needed?
I don't believe 27, 28, 29 (disc 2) & 30 were shared. I would love it if you could share those, pretty please.
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

here's 27, 28 and 30 as requested

hxxps://we.tl/t-4D5Lmqvbj9
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

Mrbeatleg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 pm here's 27, 28 and 30 as requested

Would you mind uploading your older version of the complete set? Even if you have to break it out over a few days or a week or a month?
Cheers
Mike
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

Track06 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:08 am from A/B Road's notes:

This set has long been the subject of debate… is it lossy or not?

Basically the two arguments go like this:

1) Uncompressed: These thousands of 16 minute reels were recorded on a set of Nagra recorders for possible film use. The tape and recorders used likely didn't reproduce the entire spectrum from 20 Hz to 20kHz – these were not the tapes used for the albums. The lack of dynamic range on the equipment and media would produce high-end roll off around where we see the MP3 codecs of today roll off, and that makes these tapes appear lossy, when they simply were not recorded full-spectrum.

2) Compressed: Regardless of the frequency reproduction range of the recorders and media (tape), a lot of this set exhibits characteristics of ATRAC compression on a graphic frequency analyzer, like that found on MiniDisc recorders. Old analog equipment wouldn't produce these kinds of characteristics, so it is likely these tracks went through a MiniDisc recorder at some point.

The dilema: No one… NO ONE seems to have these tracks in any other quality. They all seem to be the same, no matter where you get them from, and now that the original reels have been recovered (see the story above (you were reading, weren't you ? :) ), it doesn't seem that we'll ever see a cleaner, more pure transfer.

It is my opinion that this set was archived from reels to MiniDisc and the source for the splicing was those MiniDisc transfers. I'd be surprised if a lossless transfer to digital was ever done of this 98 HOURS of audio. Since this seems to be all there is to have, The Traders Den has made a special exemption for this set, to allow it to be posted – just like if a concert was only recorded to MiniDisc and that's the only way it exists.

It is very rare to notice any of the ATRAC artifacts when listening to these recordings. ATRAC is much more pleasant than MP3, even at high rates, and doesn't exhibit any obvious "swishy" aliasing on this particular set, at all.
The Nagra III is likely the model used in 1969 as the next model in the line (Nagra IV, which had a built-in limiter) was introduced in 1970. The Nagra III had a frequency response of 30 to 18,000 hz ±1 dB at 15ips. We can deduce from the length of the reels that 15ips was the speed they used, as was standard. These were excellent machines, generally considered to be the best portable decks you could buy and used in film production all over the world. There is no reason to believe they would not have used standard tape stock. The mini-disc theory is much more likely.

Dave in Nashville
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

mitchellmichael wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:01 pm
Mrbeatleg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 pm here's 27, 28 and 30 as requested

Would you mind uploading your older version of the complete set? Even if you have to break it out over a few days or a week or a month?
I'll upload a few each day. I'll start with Vol 1