Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
ianbuckers

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

Post by ianbuckers »

beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:19 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:53 am
beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:33 pm

yymca6
Thanks for posting these to Abbey Road Japan releases.
I am not familiar with these releases.
Is the Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle) de-emph in sox _ norm in izotope
the one with the with Pre-Emphasis removed?
Mike
Mine is the one with the pre-emphasis removed so that it plays back correctly in all situations I.e. On your computer. Digital music player or burnt to disc and played on any but the very early CD players. If you want to hear it sounding as it should however you play it download just mine as other versions will just seek to confuse.

If you want all possible versions however also grab yymca6's first one. But remember it will need de-emphasising when played back to sound right.
ianbuckers
Thanks for your response.
I am downloading your version since I can just listen to as is.
I have no idea what de-emphasising is.lol
Mike
"Pre-emphasis was a noise reduction technique used in early CDs. They increased the treble on a CD, and the CD player would lower the treble back down to normal levels. Almost all CD players properly de-emphasize a CD that has had pre-emphasis applied. Most computers WILL NOT do so. Most ripping software WILL NOT do so.

There are even some CDs that have pre-emphasis applied that are not properly tagged as such, so the CD player will not properly de-emphasize."
Tex

Post by Tex »

hogshead of hellfire wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 pm Anyone with the actual disc should try to locate a 1985 Carver model DTL-600 cd player (while having the dtl circuit engaged) for the best possible, direct reproduction of playing early Toshiba Japan discs without resorting to computer app futzing.
I would actually like to hear another stab at a live analog rip to WAV using a quality CD player. Mine from 20 years ago are just MP3.

By the way "Abbey Road" is actually not that great sounding to start with despite what people think it's brittle and grainy in the high end (early transistors). It also lacks some lower mid-range warmth I think but that can be fixed with EQ. The Toshiba version also has a great fluidity in the bass guitar I never heard on the other versions.

I think the best version of "Abbey Road" would involve a careful remastering of the Toshiba disc and maybe even some good digital noise reduction if it exists. No one has done this yet I would love to see it.

With that I am done with this topic have a nice one...
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:27 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:53 am

Mine is the one with the pre-emphasis removed so that it plays back correctly in all situations I.e. On your computer. Digital music player or burnt to disc and played on any but the very early CD players. If you want to hear it sounding as it should however you play it download just mine as other versions will just seek to confuse.

If you want all possible versions however also grab yymca6's first one. But remember it will need de-emphasising when played back to sound right.
ianbuckers
Mike
"Pre-emphasis was a noise reduction technique used in early CDs. They increased the treble on a CD, and the CD player would lower the treble back down to normal levels. Almost all CD players properly de-emphasize a CD that has had pre-emphasis applied. Most computers WILL NOT do so. Most ripping software WILL NOT do so.

There are even some CDs that have pre-emphasis applied that are not properly tagged as such, so the CD player will not properly de-emphasize."
ianbuckers
Thanks for your response and help.
You worded so that I can understand it better since my knowledge of audio is very limited.
i never would have known that pre-emphasis is a noise reduction technique.
Your Abbey Road audio file has the pre-emphasis removed and yymca first Abbey Road audio file
has the pre-emphasis.
I always thought there were no CDS released before 1987 until I heard about the Japan releases such as Abbey Road and a
version of the Star Club.
Mike
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:48 pm

ianbuckers
Mike

ianbuckers
You worded so that I can understand it better since my knowledge of audio is very limited.
Your Abbey Road audio file has the pre-emphasis removed and yymca first Abbey Road audio file
has the pre-emphasis.
I always thought there were no CDS released before 1987 until I heard about the Japan releases such as Abbey Road and a
Mike
A noise reduction technique that was only necessary on early players...14 bit players. Hence the practice died out reasonably quickly when oversampling and then 16 bit players arrived.

Well there was no 'semi-official' Star Club CD ever. All bootlegs. 'semi-official' LP, cassette and even 8-track. Not CD.
Last edited by ianbuckers on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

thanks for these,
I'm only listening on computer speakers at the moment, but so far this version (Toshiba Black Triangle) de-emph in sox _ norm in izotope) wins hands down!
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

ianbuckers wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:02 pm

ianbuckers
has the pre-emphasis.
Mike
A noise reduction technique that was only necessary on early players...14 bit players. Hence the practice died out reasonably quickly when oversampling and then 16 bit players arrived.

Well there was no 'semi-official' Star Club CD ever. All bootlegs. 'semi-official' LP, cassette and even 8-track. Not CD.
You are right,I just checked on discogs,and it's an unofficial release from 1985.
I was right that it was available before 1987.
Here is the link.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Liv ... se/4685550
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:18 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:02 pm
ianbuckers
has the pre-emphasis.
Mike

You are right,I just checked on discogs,and it's an unofficial release from 1985.
I was right that it was available before 1987.
Here is the link.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Liv ... se/4685550
Hardly unique in being a CD bootleg available before 1987. The lack of official product fueled that.
hogshead of hellfire

Post by hogshead of hellfire »

Japan site with embedded audio comparing samples of "Come Together", from the original Toshiba analog source TAPE vs. a U.S. copy:

https://reallygood-blog.com/us%E3%83%BB ... %E3%81%9F/
hogshead of hellfire

Post by hogshead of hellfire »

Info on a cdr transfer available from Japan of the Toshiba 1969 A.R. reel (essentially: the same thing as the Black Triangle, for only $26 and --- from a source, theoretically, then-having 15 years' less age on it). :arrow:

hxxps://www.discjapan.com/product/beatl ... non-label/

(more pictures)
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b530943728
r9453

Post by r9453 »

Beatles, The-Abbey Road Original Japanese Reel To Reel (1CD) Non Label:
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud