Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
powerPC

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

Post by powerPC »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:14 pm
yymca6 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm Here are both versions. Your move.
[url]hxxps://we.tl/t-wPuobqxTTS[/url]
We need a new thread with a full on Toshiba Abbey Road decode shootout using just one song. We should be able to get maybe 5 different decodes/conversions. Ian's is fine by the way. I'd also like to see a thread where people try to remaster the same song from the Toshiba. The Toshiba sounds fantastic but I think it's a little deficient in the lower mids at least compared to other reference material.
Agreed -- this would make for a very good thread Engonoceras. Quite a few sources out there it seems like. I thought LR had done something like this earlier, but it may have been a different CD...
—Keith
longoeduardo

Post by longoeduardo »

many thanks!!! :D
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

yymca6 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:17 pm
yymca6 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm Here are both versions. Your move.
[url]hxxps://we.tl/t-wPuobqxTTS[/url]
Which versions? Which decodes? Whose move? Is this a chess game? The last thread I don't recall a many bystanders giving an objective opinion on any version. That's what I'd like to see. We need a new thread with a full on Toshiba Abbey Road decode shootout using just one song. We should be able to get maybe 5 different decodes/conversions.
Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle)
+
Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle) de-emph in sox _ norm in izotope
yymca6
Thanks for posting these to Abbey Road Japan releases.
I am not familiar with these releases.
Is the Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle) de-emph in sox _ norm in izotope
the one with the with Pre-Emphasis removed?
Mike
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:33 pm
Which versions? Which decodes? Whose move? Is this a chess game? The last thread I don't recall a many bystanders giving an objective opinion on any version. That's what I'd like to see. We need a new thread with a full on Toshiba Abbey Road decode shootout using just one song. We should be able to get maybe 5 different decodes/conversions.
Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle)
+
Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle) de-emph in sox _ norm in izotope
yymca6
Is the Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle) de-emph in sox _ norm in izotope
Mike
I always understood the de-emph was the version with Pre-emp removed.
Yves
hogshead of hellfire

Post by hogshead of hellfire »

Anyone with the actual disc should try to locate a 1985 Carver model DTL-600 cd player (while having the dtl circuit engaged) for the best possible, direct reproduction of playing early Toshiba Japan discs without resorting to computer app futzing.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

hogshead of hellfire wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 pm Anyone with the actual disc should try to locate a 1985 Carver model DTL-600 cd player (while having the dtl circuit engaged) for the best possible, direct reproduction of playing early Toshiba Japan discs without resorting to computer app futzing.
That would be excellent.
—Keith
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

hogshead of hellfire wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 pm Anyone with the actual disc should try to locate a 1985 Carver model DTL-600 cd player (while having the dtl circuit engaged) for the best possible, direct reproduction of playing early Toshiba Japan discs without resorting to computer app futzing.
The sure way to correctly apply the curve is with computer. Not even the best pre-emphasis CD player with apply it as accuracy or as consistently.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

+
yymca6
Mike
Mine is the one with the pre-emphasis removed so that it plays back correctly in all situations I.e. On your computer. Digital music player or burnt to disc and played on any but the very early CD players. If you want to hear it sounding as it should however you play it download just mine as other versions will just seek to confuse.

If you want all possible versions however also grab yymca6's first one. But remember it will need de-emphasising when played back to sound right.
beatlesfanfromsop

yymca6 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:39 pm

+
yymca6
Mike
I always understood the de-emph was the version with Pre-emp removed.
Okay,thanks for your response.
Mike
beatlesfanfromsop

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:53 am

+
yymca6
Mike
Mine is the one with the pre-emphasis removed so that it plays back correctly in all situations I.e. On your computer. Digital music player or burnt to disc and played on any but the very early CD players. If you want to hear it sounding as it should however you play it download just mine as other versions will just seek to confuse.

If you want all possible versions however also grab yymca6's first one. But remember it will need de-emphasising when played back to sound right.
ianbuckers
Thanks for your response.
I am downloading your version since I can just listen to as is.
I have no idea what de-emphasising is.lol
Mike