Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
Tex

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

Post by Tex »

The digitally "de-emph'd" one I have doesn't tonally match my analog-to-digital rips from 20+ years ago. My rips are more open and alive sounding is the only way I can explain.
Norm Deplume

Post by Norm Deplume »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:02 am
ianbuckers wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:28 am Hardly unique in being a CD bootleg available before 1987. The lack of official product fueled that.
The first CD bootleg was Sessions. I remember because there was a big stink about it. The record companies had been saying that the arrival of the cd format would see the end of bootlegs, because they were so much harder to manufacture. They were really staggered to see boot cds come out of Europe.
The first bootleg Beatles CD's didn't come out of Europe though, they came out of the US according to this article:

http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg3/firstcds.htm

Norm
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

https://www.discogs.com/release/6641819 ... uly-2-1966

This one is the first I ever saw - and bought :) . It appeared in 1987 as well.
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

My Dears, can any of You share a fresh rip of "Abbey Road" Black Triangle in a full original (not computer edited and not cut at the same time) version in a lossless format? Preserving the original sound with increased dynamics? The deemphasis version posted above allows you to compare the differences but (unfortunately) it has errors between the tracks clearly audible on the "B" side, for example between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polyethene Pam".
gonchichi

Post by gonchichi »

applebonkerz wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:38 am Thank you beatlesnyttigt for the re-up, I must have missed this thread the first time around.

Totally confused now though of what versions these two current download discs actually are. When I play both sets of files on my iMac thru VLC player, I can't hear any real difference between them. I was expecting the pre-emphasis version to sound terribly treble but it doesn't to me. More oddness, if these are supposed to be from the same original Japan discs, only half of the track timings match up between these two sets. The files marked pre-emphasis total out 47:26, and the other set totals out at 47:24. I would have thought the track sectors would always match up on every track from the same mastering when the logs included claim they were both accurately ripped.

Is the second set in this re-up still the "Abbey Road (1983, Toshiba-EMI, CP35-3016, JP, Pre-Emphasis) (Toshiba Black Triangle) de-emph in sox _ norm in izotope" shared earlier? There is no info included indicating that. I'm guessing that was the same files of ianbuckers that was deemed one of the best conversions? This "Abbey Road (1983 Japan Toshiba Black Triangle) CD" set of files included in the re-up is ianbuckers conversion, or no? Hopefully someone can clear this all up so I/we know for sure what exactly these files are now. Thanks again to all.
Beatlesiak wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:12 am My Dears, can any of You share a fresh rip of "Abbey Road" Black Triangle in a full original (not computer edited and not cut at the same time) version in a lossless format? Preserving the original sound with increased dynamics? The deemphasis version posted above allows you to compare the differences but (unfortunately) it has errors between the tracks clearly audible on the "B" side, for example between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polyethene Pam".
As far as I've checked tracks 01 and 02, 'Abbey Road (1983 Black Triangle Japanese "pre-emphasis" version) CD' and 'Abbey Road (1983 Japan Toshiba Black Triangle) CD' posted by beatlesnyttigt are binarily the same and they both seem to be pre-emphasis versions. Difference is flac files of the former CD are all faulty and those of the latter CD are OK. If you burn the .wav files decoded from the faulty flac files onto a CD-R, small click noise can occur between tracks, depending on the burning software used. The flac files of the latter CD shouldn't cause such problems. At least I don't notice any noise between 'Mean Mr. Mustard' and 'Polyethene Pam' when I play both CDs with foobar2000 on my PC.

Hope my two yen help... :) :) :)
Last edited by gonchichi on Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
longoeduardo

Post by longoeduardo »

Hi, I'm very confused, I want to have the correct cd, could you upload it again? it would be... the black triangle that has no errors, I think saving a faulty one doesn't make sense thanks
gonchichi

Post by gonchichi »

longoeduardo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:55 am Hi, I'm very confused, I want to have the correct cd, could you upload it again? it would be... the black triangle that has no errors, I think saving a faulty one doesn't make sense thanks
Flac files of 'Abbey Road (1983 Japan Toshiba Black Triangle) CD' are all OK. If you want a second opinion, you can download another rip from Appleyard's link found in viewtopic.php?f=27&t=602&p=34183&hilit= ... gle#p34183
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

:-) but I don't think that's the point, I, like płucoeduardo we are looking for the original copy with preemphasis, i.e. with increased dynamics - or in other words: better: the iso file from the original cd copy :-)
(not a copy of Vinyl Pro or a processed Black Triangle)
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Beatlesiak wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:28 pm :-) but I don't think that's the point, I, like płucoeduardo we are looking for the original copy with preemphasis, i.e. with increased dynamics - or in other words: better: the iso file from the original cd copy :-)
(not a copy of Vinyl Pro or a processed Black Triangle)
I agree. If someone just made an ISO rip from the actual original Japan disc instead of individual files (and instead of a version they have later made themselves that may, or actually may not be an exact copy)--wouldn't that insure that all the proper flags were already pre-set in the file when burning a disc? If so, it would seem that is a far superior way to share this original mastering than trying to figure out how, or if, those flags are set properly in each individual song before burning a CD from any of the individual files shared here. Personally, I don't have a clue how to check flags, or manually set flags in any Burn software.

I think all of us technical neophytes need either an ISO version of the actual original, or a detailed instruction sheet written to explain how to properly burn these individual files onto a CD so the result actually exactly matches what the playback of an original Toshiba black triangle disc would be outputting. It has been mentioned in other Black Triangle threads that not all burning software sets the flags properly from the individual track files.

Thank you to all who have been sharing. I will gladly host an authentic ISO file on my google drive with no expiration date to download, if it shows up here. :)
hardcandytim

Post by hardcandytim »

Would someone be kind enough to reshare a properly deemphasized version of the album to a server that does not delete files too quickly? Reading through this thread it sounds like ianbuckers’ version was considered high-quality. Though his link has already expired. Thank you!