X-minus website extractions

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Tex

Re: X-minus website extractions

Post by Tex »

Mixerrog wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:49 pm In my tests, the stem separations of the new Open-Unmix is better than what you can get from the X-minus files + you don't have to send any files anywhere. The output stems are 32 bit also which they do not provide.
:shock:
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I've registered and applied the X-minus interface to the rare soundtrack by The Doors, "Love Thy Customer" (1966) - this music, which is entirely instrumental, is their very first studio recording with the complete line-up. Well, the software took away the film narrative fantastically. As for the music, it turned out not so - basically, X-minus as per the provided free option is not able to treat the quiet background passages, even at their mildest "aggressivity" option of 1. I have doubts that the FLAC output option would turn out better. Hopefully in a few more years there will be something really outstanding.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

zaval80 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:56 pm I've registered and applied the X-minus interface to the rare soundtrack by The Doors, "Love Thy Customer" (1966) - this music, which is entirely instrumental, is their very first studio recording with the complete line-up. Well, the software took away the film narrative fantastically. As for the music, it turned out not so - basically, X-minus as per the provided free option is not able to treat the quiet background passages, even at their mildest "aggressivity" option of 1. I have doubts that the FLAC output option would turn out better. Hopefully in a few more years there will be something really outstanding.
Yes it's a big ask to try and isolate faint music from behind speech. I would love to get rid of Brian Matthews' intrusions over the intros to some BBC tracks. Unfortunately the result is always crud. I did however use UVR to remove Dizzy Miss Lizzy from behind a section of the Dibbs Mather interview on the last volume.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

This software turned out to be useful with regard to "subliminal messages". I have no idea what rock musicians think when they record these, but they do exist. One album which has a few is, unexpectedly, "Other Voices" by The Doors. At 3'30" of "I'm Horny, I'm Stoned" song, X-Minus has detected a phrase "call the neighbor" in the more-or-less understandable gibberish with which the song ends. The impression from this phrase can be noted during normal listening, but only separation by this software allows to hear the words.
ToddS

Post by ToddS »

Deleted
Last edited by ToddS on Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

ToddS wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 pm hxxps://mega.nz/folder/VVogWJQC#x2OjisfE57E7xCa8RXZCLw Elvis Presley Isolated Vocal Tracks + Isolated Backing Tracks . Mostly the Early Sun Studio Songs: thats alrite mama / good rockin' tonite / blue moon of kentucky / i don't care if the sun don't shine / baby lets play house / i'm left your right shes gone / tomorrow nite / i'll never let you go darlin' / just because . Sun Studios 1954 + 1955.
Thanks! those are cracking :)
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I love the Twin Track Lord Reith Extractions of

How Do You Do It
She Loves You
Soldier Of Love
Sweet Little Sixteen

& Darth's
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five

I'd start with Decca, Tony Sheridan ATCO Mixes [if that's possible], the BBC recording & EMI mono only recordings
Soldier Of Love & Sweet Little Sixteen Gives the EMI recordings a run for their money...lol

Using Cool Edit 2.1, I made personal Copies of the 4 tracks, & switch the left to right & vica versa..
to where the Vocals on the left & Instruments on the right..to match my official stuff

Thank you Lord Reith & Darth, for your lossless ... :mrgreen:
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
rfwood1

Post by rfwood1 »

Just curious...What would this software do for the Nagra tapes? could this not be used on some of those songs that are missing vocals, or just victims of poor sound, or poor mic-ing. I'm not a technical wizard, so I have no idea what can or cannot be done. But it would sure be interesting to hear what might be improved upon through the use of this system.
tymime

Post by tymime »

rfwood1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:48 pm Just curious...What would this software do for the Nagra tapes? could this not be used on some of those songs that are missing vocals, or just victims of poor sound, or poor mic-ing. I'm not a technical wizard, so I have no idea what can or cannot be done. But it would sure be interesting to hear what might be improved upon through the use of this system.
The vocal separation would do wonders on tracks where someone's talking over someone singing (hopefully).
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

ToddS wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 pm hxxps://mega.nz/folder/VVogWJQC#x2OjisfE57E7xCa8RXZCLw Elvis Presley Isolated Vocal Tracks + Isolated Backing Tracks . Mostly the Early Sun Studio Songs: thats alrite mama / good rockin' tonite / blue moon of kentucky / i don't care if the sun don't shine / baby lets play house / i'm left your right shes gone / tomorrow nite / i'll never let you go darlin' / just because . Sun Studios 1954 + 1955.
Todd, thanks for doing these! Neil Young sounds just like Elvis! ;-)

Once you have these splits you can do various stereo remixes. Here are two I just did, one by simply panning the tracks of Good Rockin' Tonight apart by 50%, the other by duplicating and offsetting the backing track for a stereo effect while keeping the vocal centered:

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1u7dvWzltmYmWZqnJV-fGIix9QAV7Jbf8/view?usp=sharing