10 animated photos with artificial intelligence (DeOldify)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Tex

Re: 10 animated photos with artificial intelligence (DeOldify)

Post by Tex »

The animations are fun but as Doug points out the animations are still not quite there yet. It's great for making animated GIFs though. The tool actually has 10 different animations in the settings but animations 1-4 seem to be the most natural or believable the rest are too exaggerated.

Here's an example of the photo enhance tool improving a lower resolution digital image.
enhance-sample.jpg
enhance-sample.jpg (136.11 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Last edited by Tex on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybermedios

Post by cybermedios »

2021-07-05_083821.jpg
2021-07-05_083821.jpg (96.46 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
ANIMATED
Cybermedios (a.k.a. lappin7 in bootlegzone)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Doug wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:12 am At first, I reacted positively to the animations ("Wow! That's my great-grandmother, and she's MOVING!"), but when you do that to faces of people you actually KNOW you can tell how far off the mark it's going ("Why does my sister look Chinese all of sudden?!").

The very BEST thing, though, is when it reads stuff like bits of landscape or hair ribbons and thinks it's a face, so suddenly tree bark will have a mouth and maybe an eye or two. And THEN animate that. Just keep the kids away - they'll have nightmares. :)
I found that by choosing different animations rarther than the default you can get better results. The default made my grandfather look like a lunatic, but changing to a different preset produced a far more pleasing result. With the backgrounds you can generate a matte of the person in a different program and add it to a more plain background that won't get confused with the face.

But, yeh, you don't want to use it on people who are still alive and who you know. It can be seriously creepy then.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Great technology. Just think where this is heading...fast. The next "Birth of the Beatles" film might not need to search for lookalike actors. We'll have Marilyn Monroe making movies again, and she'll probably be cheaper, more reliable and a lot easier to work with this time too!
Last edited by Choking Smoker on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Choking Smoker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:17 am Great technology. Just think where this is heading...fast. The next "Birth of the Beatles" film might not need to search for lookalike actors. We'll have Marilyn Monroe making movies again, and she'll probably be cheaper, more reliable and a lot easier to worth with this time too!
Also raises some major privacy concerns though, with videos being made of adults and children from just a photo which could come from anywhere. And what about when it can inevitably animate entire people from just a bad photo? We'll be living in a world where nothing can be believed or taken on face value. It won't be "fake news", it'll be "fake life". There'll be a shadow world on the internet, of entirely fictional beings who appear to be real.

And what about when you can power human animations with AI personalities? Will people be best friends with intelligent animations on their phones? Will they shun real friendships in favour of safe, perfect, conflict-free relationships with digital people who will never hurt, challenge or upset them? That is a freaking scary thought.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Doug

Post by Doug »

Choking Smoker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:17 am Great technology. Just think where this is heading...fast.
I've processed hundreds of family photos this way, so when I saw the "Get Back" teaser I couldn't help thinking that Peter Jackson is using similar (but more sophisticated) technology on the 16mm "Let It Be" footage. There's the same visual characteristics. No film grain. Everything just a little too perfect and clean.

A new phase Beatles. :)
cybermedios

Post by cybermedios »

Another A.I. scenario that I don't think has been touched on in the forum:
Taking songs and making new songs out of them.
-
In 10 years, when this is perfected, many people will no longer know the difference between the original and the clone.
I'm sure new fake bootlegs will appear for unwary people.
Beatle bootlegs will be collected as well as A.I. bootlegs about the Beatles.
-
"BEATLE BOOTLEGS" WILL CONTINUE TO EXIST FOR A LONG TIME TO COME.
-
The era of the simulacrum, which Jean Baudrillard warned about, will arrive.
-

Cybermedios (a.k.a. lappin7 in bootlegzone)
KitsuHitsuyy

Post by KitsuHitsuyy »

Doug wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:07 am
I've processed hundreds of family photos this way, so when I saw the "Get Back" teaser I couldn't help thinking that Peter Jackson is using similar (but more sophisticated) technology on the 16mm "Let It Be" footage. There's the same visual characteristics. No film grain. Everything just a little too perfect and clean.

A new phase Beatles. :)
Believe or not, not everything is AI based, in fact the methods Jackson's team is using is a traditional noise reduction (or NDR/DeNoise).

There are also plenty of traditional upscaling methods like WarpSharp for videos.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KitsuBeatles/
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/qaCPu9VrsY

Saw Paul on November 30th, 2023 at the Mané Garrincha Stadium, Brasília, Brazil!
KitsuHitsuyy

Post by KitsuHitsuyy »

cybermedios wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:38 am Another A.I. scenario that I don't think has been touched on in the forum:
Taking songs and making new songs out of them.
-
In 10 years, when this is perfected, many people will no longer know the difference between the original and the clone.
I'm sure new fake bootlegs will appear for unwary people.
Beatle bootlegs will be collected as well as A.I. bootlegs about the Beatles.
-
"BEATLE BOOTLEGS" WILL CONTINUE TO EXIST FOR A LONG TIME TO COME.
-
The era of the simulacrum, which Jean Baudrillard warned about, will arrive.
-
I think you guys are looking way beyond, it’s obvious AI will never replace everything on earth and has a lot to develop, this technology is like 5-7 years old.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KitsuBeatles/
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/qaCPu9VrsY

Saw Paul on November 30th, 2023 at the Mané Garrincha Stadium, Brasília, Brazil!
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:16 am
Choking Smoker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:17 am Great technology. Just think where this is heading...fast. The next "Birth of the Beatles" film might not need to search for lookalike actors. We'll have Marilyn Monroe making movies again, and she'll probably be cheaper, more reliable and a lot easier to worth with this time too!
Also raises some major privacy concerns though, with videos being made of adults and children from just a photo which could come from anywhere. And what about when it can inevitably animate entire people from just a bad photo? We'll be living in a world where nothing can be believed or taken on face value. It won't be "fake news", it'll be "fake life". There'll be a shadow world on the internet, of entirely fictional beings who appear to be real.

And what about when you can power human animations with AI personalities? Will people be best friends with intelligent animations on their phones? Will they shun real friendships in favour of safe, perfect, conflict-free relationships with digital people who will never hurt, challenge or upset them? That is a freaking scary thought.
I sometimes think that we're already there Good points though.