Definitive Masters (PPM Final Revision... finally!)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Garrett

Definitive Masters (PPM Final Revision... finally!)

Post by Garrett »

This is a big project, so I'll be moving this series to a new thread focused on it.

I'll be doing a remaster campaign of the entire stereo catalog, along with the associated singles for each album, as well as alternate mono and stereo mixes I deem essential. Sources will be the 2009 stereo CDs for the first four albums, Disque Americ for the next three, 30th Anniversary for the White Album, and the 1987 CDs for Pepper, MMT, LIB and Abbey Road. Singles and alternate mixes will be sourced on a case-by-case basis.

My ears are going to be put to the test here, but I will be referencing and EQ matching using vinyl rips I find over the web which will dramatically help me reach the desired sound.

I'm just a guy with no formal experience but a burning desire, so hopefully these remasters will be as enjoyable for you as me.

I'll try my best to get it perfect first time, but having other ears on the project will help dramatically, and I'm not afraid to go back and make some changes if necessary, as hopefully the result will end in something special.

VOLUME ONE: PLEASE PLEASE ME (Definitive Masters): (UPDATE: FINAL 9/14/23 REVISION)

hXXps://mega.nz/folder/vd4HUJ6Y#eF-bbCC3vaRARraRT0jt9g

Stereo album remastered using the 2009 24 bit USB for the stereo files, and the 2009 mono CD for the two mono tracks. I referenced an original tube-cut pressing.

VOLUME THREE: LONG TALL SALLY EP (Definitive Masters): (Original Release)

hXXps://mega.nz/folder/2RgmmAgI#TRsf31X0WwdHxF9PZ7d5VQ

Stereo EP remastered, along with the mono mix of I Call Your Name and the stereo mixes of the two German singles.
Last edited by Garrett on Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Antonio218

Re: Definitive Masters (Vol2 With The Beatles)

Post by Antonio218 »

Thanks Garrett.
mcbeat2010

Post by mcbeat2010 »

Thanks a lot!
Jay

Post by Jay »

Thanks for Vol. 2, Garrett. I will give this some concentrated attention tonight :D
inglis

Post by inglis »

thank you for the continuation
Jay

Post by Jay »

"She Loves You" is now as good as seamless. Great job Garrett.

Enjoyed the album tracks very much, although "Till There Was You" sounded slightly veiled/murky compared to the surrounding tracks. Ditto for "Don't Bother Me", but to a lesser extent. Maybe they could use a touch more sparkle? Or maybe it's just my system?
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Jay wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:29 pm "She Loves You" is now as good as seamless. Great job Garrett.

Enjoyed the album tracks very much, although "Till There Was You" sounded slightly veiled/murky compared to the surrounding tracks. Ditto for "Don't Bother Me", but to a lesser extent. Maybe they could use a touch more sparkle? Or maybe it's just my system?
Thank you for the feedback. I think they are mastered right though. When I remaster an album, I apply the same EQ to every single album track to keep it consistent, so I think the darker sound on those two may be intended. Also, "Till There Was You" is a little quieter than the surrounding tracks, so that may be influencing you as well.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Garrett,
I admire your courage. I keep falling behind with forum treasures.
I haven't checked any of these out but I wanted to wish you luck, anyway.
Rule 1: Only if it's fun, educational or fun!
Rule 2: Confidence in yourself is important...(to know when it's good enough)
Rule 3: Confidence in criticism...(to maintain vulnerability)
Rule 4: It's not about perfection...(They simply made it the best that they could)
Rule 5: Man, I'm tired of reading...(there really AREN'T any rules. Good Luck)
and, and, and...
KC
Jay

Post by Jay »

Garrett wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:03 pm
Jay wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:29 pm "She Loves You" is now as good as seamless. Great job Garrett.

Thank you for the feedback. I think they are mastered right though. When I remaster an album, I apply the same EQ to every single album track to keep it consistent, so I think the darker sound on those two may be intended. Also, "Till There Was You" is a little quieter than the surrounding tracks, so that may be influencing you as well.
Yeah, my ears were probably fooling me. That happens sometimes. Think I'll play this again tonight and really crank it. Thanks again Garrett.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

can't wait to hear to Don't Bother Me; this song has a unique guitar tone that I never found on other Beatles albums. And this is one of my favorite Beatles song.
I can't wait to hear more; especially "Rubber Soul"; I have been totally hooked by your mix of "Michelle" : it's warm and beautiful; I have never heard the guitar and especially the bass like that. It's beautiful and a bit sad, because if a SDE of Rubber Soul comes out, I highly doubt this will sound as natural as your mix.