Stereo Classics' Beatles Mixes (Lovely Rita)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
alphabeatles

Re: Stereo Classics' Beatles Mixes (NEW Definitive Masters)

Post by alphabeatles »

Garrett wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:03 am
alphabeatles wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:42 amFirst, thanks so much for undertaking this project! I am excited about gathering a full set of your work on these, in addition to all of the other mixes of yours already in my collection.

Now, some questions about AHDN:

You mentioned a "mid 80's pressing". Is this the 1982 MFSL BC-1 "The Collection" or perhaps the 1986 BC-13 Blue Box? In the US there was the 1980 Original Motion Picture Sound Track LP SW-11921. I happen to have these FWIW.

Then you said you had "no other option" but to use the "neutered" 2009 – what about your "mid 80's pressing"?

No big deal, just trying to understand what you said and what you meant.
Apologies for being vague. The standard UK issue printed in the mid 80's or yes, what was likely used in the Blue Box. It must have some variant of YEX-126-3-1-1 on side one. Some pressings from the 80's use YEX-126-2, which is a tube-cut.

Ironically though, the pressing that seems to be more helpful for my AHDN project is the Japanese EAS needle-drop by Millennium Remasters. The highs on this pressing are very much recessed, but otherwise, the tonality is what I'm looking for.

And my source must be digitally sourced, or it kind of defeats the purpose. I don't want to just be releasing needle-drops, especially ones that I have not made.

The 2009s are not really bad anyway. The only issues are non-perceptual peak limiting, some small edits like lip-smacks and de-plosiving, and the not great EQ; the last of which can be completely reversed. And the EQ is 99% of the reason why the 2009s are not good.

I'm almost tempted to ONLY use the 2009, I'll have to do some comparisons on remasters using the 24 bit 2009 and the original 1987 CDs.
Thanks for the clarifications! It gives me even more of an appreciation for what you're doing.

It's great to be able to selectively access the material from several different sources to skillfully construct a definitive mix. Giles and those before him just provide you and other remixers with the necessary raw material;-)
Bianju

Re: Stereo Classics' Beatles Mixes (NEW Definitive Masters)

Post by Bianju »

Looking forward to hearing what you can do with WTB and AHDN, Garrett! The revised PPM has a sparkling high-end, and you did manage to tame it vs the slightly grating first version.
dmh84

Re: Stereo Classics' Beatles Mixes

Post by dmh84 »

May we please have a PPM re-up? Can't believe I missed it! Life sometimes gets in the way of Beatles.
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

dmh84 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:59 pm May we please have a PPM re-up? Can't believe I missed it! Life sometimes gets in the way of Beatles.
hxxps://we.tl/t-fpzKwxpMiH
Here you are.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
dmh84

Post by dmh84 »

Thanks so very much!
Garrett

Re: Stereo Classics' Beatles Mixes (Lovely Rita)

Post by Garrett »

New stereo mix of "Lovely Rita" using the .mogg Rockband mix! It was a bit of a challenge since the multitracks combine the piano and guitar during the solo and the ending, but I think I made it pretty smooth.

hXXps://mega.nz/file/CFA0WZaZ#uyZHCojT4P8Fnz0eI4nvimX4Qgei6MpNdjMz6d8K2rE
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME - Thank you Garrett ....
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks for yet another great mix!

At the end I was hearing a bit of Cold Turkey and Revolution #9! Maybe there'a segue or mashup waiting to happen...
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen:
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

alphabeatles wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:12 am Thanks for yet another great mix!

At the end I was hearing a bit of Cold Turkey and Revolution #9! Maybe there'a segue or mashup waiting to happen...
great mix Garrett! yeah I did notice that too (more like Cold Turkey and a lot of ending of John Lennon's song); this is not just John; there is Paul too (and it's a bit odd to fantasize for what we used to call in France a "pervenche")- they even are selling in SM shops in Paris some special "pervenche" outfits. I was wondering if "Lovely Rita" is the first Beatles song was an end like that or if they did a kind of orgazmic ending before (Long, Long, Long has some weird some near the end, but it sounds more like a theremin when it was used for the frightening movies from the 50's...)
And the piano near the end of Lovely Rita reminds me the part on piano during the coda of Magical Mystery Tour (which is one of my favorite coda; which it last longer)