Help 5.1 Mix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
chescowx

Re: Help 5.1 Mix

Post by chescowx »

I can't thank you enough for this tremendous mix!! I am a huge fan of surround sound mixes and hope that the remaining early albums get this treatment. I hope you do the rest of the albums from Rubber Soul back to Please Please Me and heck throw in The Hollywood Bowl for good measure.
I really enjoyed the Help album mixes in surround. I would say they were all great....the only one that I thought wasn't as full/immersive sounding was Dizzy Miss Lizzy - seemed a bit front speaker heavy IMHO. That said keep up the great work and I hope to hear more of the earlier albums in surround.
Thanks again!!
Paul
Appleyard

Post by Appleyard »

chescowx wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:22 am I can't thank you enough for this tremendous mix!! I am a huge fan of surround sound mixes and hope that the remaining early albums get this treatment. I hope you do the rest of the albums from Rubber Soul back to Please Please Me and heck throw in The Hollywood Bowl for good measure.
I really enjoyed the Help album mixes in surround. I would say they were all great....the only one that I thought wasn't as full/immersive sounding was Dizzy Miss Lizzy - seemed a bit front speaker heavy IMHO. That said keep up the great work and I hope to hear more of the earlier albums in surround.
Thanks again!!
Paul
🥳
Thanks for those comments, Paul. Appreciate all you've said.
I'll have another look at Dizzy Miss Lizzy, see if I can bring anything else out on the rears.
If you listened to my 5.1 mixes I posted of Beatles For Sale and Rubber Soul I'd love to know your thoughts. I tried something different on each one depending on the MOGG separations but I might give em another shot one day so let me know what you think.
Cheers!
chescowx

Post by chescowx »

Fantastic! I will go back and download those 2 - looking forward to it!!
Thanks again for your efforts here!!
Paul
skynet

Post by skynet »

Appleyard

First let me mention i am a great advocate on surround sound, i take self proud on make sure i got a decent soundstage and sound gear on this purpose, hence i am tempted to give you some comments on your mixes, but overall is of my humble opinion that little Giles can use your advice in future surround mixes, and you make me wonder what you can do in case you have access the original multitracks, kudos to you.

Now on the review, i took the liberty on going track by track, for each so here it goes (first is Beatles for Sale):

Beatles for Sale

- No Reply - Nice sound stage, i love what you did with the guitars on the rears on this one, and the LFE signal picks up really nicely, no distortion, also the elements on the left, right and center channels are nicely used, the voice placement is on point and the drums kick ass and wisely positioned in the soundstage. The piano shines is an outstanding piece which is more clear now
- I'm a Loser - The tremolo in the guitar in the rears is a nice touch, is a nice contrast on George Licks in the front, and what was that a "pea shaker"? before the middle eight? wow is as clear as if it is in the middle of the room, the harmonica coming from rear and front nice work
- Baby's in Black - I got surprised and in awe on this, i liked the song before, but somehow the placement on the sound stage make the song sound more "dirty" heavy and bleak (in a good way) upon the subject matter, the accousting Gibson's and the twelve string in the back helps with the song contrast, and the drums, man... you make Ringo sound like a heavy metal drummer and the LFE on my system can testify about that
- Rock And Roll music - Is everything you expect to hear on a 5.1 soundstage on a straight forward Rock and Roll song, Kudos to sir George Martin on the Piano, i mean, wow, is the highlight of the song along with Ringo Drums and Paul's bass and the cherry on top, John's Voice coming from the center... The best Rock and Roll singer of his time
- I'll Follow the Sun - A nice contrast against the first 4 tracks, the acoustics surrounds you from the rears and then the lead on front, highlighted by Paul's voice
- Mr. Moonlight - That 3 part harmony is killer for a really mediocre song (i would rather prefer they had chose "Leave me Kitten Alone" instead) and John's initial scream made my skin tingle, the way you handle the Hammond was a nice touch, is not too dominant in the soundstage and in the bridge is really smooth, again i enjoyed the way you used the guitars on the rears, it allows you to enjoy the refrain they made with the lead guitar ("twang, twang, twang twang..." :) )
- Kansas City (hey, hey hey hey) - Not too much to say here pretty straight forward Rock, but Paul's voice, damm Paul McCartney along with John the best rock voices, and the answer coming from the rears nice touch, the drums from Ringo, i can't but thank you for the way you mixed them, Ringo Star was a kick ass drummer
- Eight Days a Week - Clever use of the soundstage, the handclaps with the Rythm guitar in the back, John and Paul's voice coming from the front, again an intelligent use of the LFE which mostly highlight Paul's use of the bass, you made me wish the intro and the outro lasted longer
- Words of Love - I loved this mix so much, because it highlights the vocal harmonies, the guitar and bass work, very well balanced mix, it makes you wonder what Buddy Holly would have think on this version,... he may be jealous, it highlights how good were the Beatles as a vocal group, but also as instrumentalists
- Honey Don't - The lead guitar coming from the rear, did not expected that, then the Gibson's, very well balanced mix, it sounds as if Ringo was hitting the cymbals directly in your living room, this place you in the middle of the action as if you were in a live presentation.
- Every Little Thing - I always loved this song, and was looking forward to hear your 5.1 mix, in all honesty while i think is a good mix, i was expecting more of it, although is well balanced, for some reason it sounds a bit muddy on the percussions section also the vocals sound a little convoluted to me (maybe is just my perception)
- I Don't Want To Spoil the Party - again clever use of the rears in this one, also the elements are nicely balanced on the mix, the vocals mostly coming from the center helps in maintaining the focus on the song while allowing you to enjoy the rest of the instrumentation elements
- What You're doing - This mix sounds angry, in a hurry, dirty, nice touch on the vocal placement in the center and the "responses" coming from the rears, it helps the song overall mood, and again Ringo Drums and Paul's bass are a highlight... but guess what, not so much as George lead guitar, it is the real highlight in the mix, nice work
- Everybody's trying to be my Baby - Straight forward Rock on an Straight Forward? ;) 5.1 mix you can close your eyes with this one and try to imagine what it would have been to be on the Star Club while they were playing this, that is how powerful the mix sounds

GILES IF YOU ARE READING THIS HAVE A LISTEN AT THIS MIX! you could learn a lot!
Last edited by skynet on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
skynet

Post by skynet »

Help!

- Help! - The placement on the instruments, the lead and the Rythm guitar coming from the rears and the vocals in the front is it cleaver as usual in your mixes, but i have a problem with this one... is too heavy on bass and it distract from the appreciation of the rest of the instrumentation, and in cases takes over the vocals, the instrument placement is nicely handled but the "bassy" sound is too distracting, is of my opinion that maybe you were looking for the song to have the sense of urgency that the lyrics convey but instead is buried on the LFE
- The Night Before - Not sure about the mix decisions you took on this one and why are so different from the title track, in here instead, the instrumentation is given is proper place and highlights the overall sound of the song, the vocal and harmony coming from the front offers a nice contrast against the bass and Ringo drums, i is a pretty straight forward mix, which highlights the use of the Hammond as part of the Rythm section, nice work here
- You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - Pretty Nice Mix, with the Gibson's coming from the left and right, with John's vocal and the bass on the center an the tambourine and the shaker from the back and the flute in the center coming from the front sounds great
- I Need You - Nice work in the mix placing George's voice in the center with the volume-tone pedal answering from the right and the vocal harmonies while the cowbell coming from the back, very well balanced mix, loved how it highlights George voice and the use of the acoustic elements in the song
- Another Girl - Nice discreet mix, which highlights the vocal harmonies, one thing i did noticed is how the lead guitar licks coming from the rears highlights the flaws on them (was that Paul on the lead guitar? i do not recall, need to check Lewisohn and Winn) i mean you can specifically tell that is not George playing, i mean George was far from being the perfect lead guitar, but you can tell is not him here :) )
- You're Gonna Lose that Girl- Loved this mix, the bongos and that piano section i can tell is there for sure now on the rears, the way the Rythm guitars are placed in the mix, help to highlight the vocal harmonies and John's vocal lead in this one
- Ticket to Ride - Your mix highlights that heavy drum sound that John loved to talk about this song, and the cymbals coming from the rears are a nice touch, really discreet and good use on the rhythm guitars here, nice mix i cranked the volume of my system with this one, which in similar fashion of "Eight Days A Week" makes me want that the final coda lasted longer
- Act Naturally - Pretty straight forward country song, very well balanced with the Rythm guitars (Again, not that is a bad thing) coming from the rears, and the lead guitar licks now sounds powerful and make a good contrast with the bass and you can hear the "sticks" Rythm from Ringo :)
- It's only Love - the acoustic guitars and the tambourine "envelops you" from the very beginning, neat sound for a gentle (although a bit Chessy) song
- You like me too much - The Hammond in the rears? and everything else coming from the front? nice touch, a pretty simple but powerful approach, loved the way it works in the instrumental "dialog" section with the lead guitar coming from the center :)
- Tell me what you see? - This was one, of the other mixes i was looking forward to... and loved it placing the tambourine in the rears and the drums in the front have powerful effect along with Paul's bass and that 12 string guitar.. man i find myself tapping along :)
- I've Just Seen a Face - Ok, i was looking a head on this one as well... i mean, is not a bad mix, but i think it suffers from the same points as the title track, very heavy handed on bass (in particular at the beginning and the acoustic guitars sounds a bit muddy), is of my opinion that the highlight of this track should have been the vocal harmonies and the guitar work, but the "bassy" sound detracts from the experience
- Yesterday - Ok, what can i said of 'Yesterday' that has not been said before, you did a an amazing job, you can almost feel as if Paul is in your living room with the string quartet, loved how it highlights his guitar playing and also the strings from the quartet and man... that "bluesy section" that John always loved is really noticeable here, it made me tingle and almost cry, nice work, thanks for that
- Dizzy Miss Lizzy - Pretty Straight forward mix, not too much to say about this, i loved that you did not went crazy in the usage of the channels with this one, you keep it simple, the highlight for me on this is the lead guitar, you make it shine, without overusing it on the mix, you were right, not a lot of use in the rear, but that does not mean is a bad thing
Last edited by skynet on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skynet

Post by skynet »

Rubber Soul

- Drive My Car - Placing the piano and the lead guitar over the solo on the rears is a nice touch, and leaving the rest of the instrumentation on the front added to the experience, the vocals are a bit "dry" to me but nothing that affects the mix, overall a nice mix
- Norwegian Good (This Bird has flown) - Loved what you did here, from the start is a great mix, your decision on keeping the mix mostly up front is a nice one, the guitar from the center and then the bass and acoustic came from the left and right, sweet, also was that a rhythm box on the rears along with the tambourine? loved the sound of that in the rears
- You Won't See me - Really good mix, you made good use of the rears by placing the backing vocals there and keeping the rest of the instrumentation and main vocal in the center, also the LFE signal pretty much shines through your mix, loved your work on this one, although again the main vocal sound a bit artificial (maybe is just me)
- Nowhere man - Please correct me if i am wrong in this one, but did you placed and divided the vocals in the mix using the 3 front speakers (or is just how they "came" from the steams from rock band?), love the clean sound on the mix, and the way you placed the instrumentation was really cleaver use of the soundstage, you did a great mix without going crazy :)
- Think for Yourself - Again loved this one, by placing the fuzz bass and organ in the rears, and the rest of the elements in the front allow this song to sound so powerful and open, and those vocal harmonies, also nice use of the LFE very well balanced mix, i have always enjoyed this song, now i enjoyed it more :)
- The Word - mainly centered mix, nicely done with some of the instruments, like the maracas and the shaker very subtly added in the rears was a nice touch until the end with the organ coming from the rears which was also nice sounding
- Michelle - The only thing that i did not liked about this track was that at the beginning (around the first 2 verses) it seems to me the song it is louder than the rest of the mix (not sure, but need to check the wavelength), loved the placement of the backing vocals in the rears, and the cleaver way you mixed the guitars, as well as the bass, very well balanced mix
- What Goes on - Now for a change the lead guitar licks are in the background while the rest of the instrumentation in the front, the bass and drum work from Ringo shines in this mix, i actually enjoyed the song this time (in difference to the stereo or mono version) the mix sounds fuller and well balanced here, i find myself dancing with this one :)
- Girl - Guitars, bass, drums coming from the center, other than the widespread stereo "effect" and the good use of the LFE at the initial verses is a nice touch, then during the middle eight the guitars counter point in the rears surprises you, really great and fabulous use of the soundstage, loved it!
- I'M Looking through you - WOW, and i mean WOW you mixed this one as one hell of a pro, the bass is pretty clear, the counter point with the drums is great but also the Rythm guitar, the placement in the rears and the voice of Paul McCartney, almost a perfect mix, you can actually hear how John, Paul and George slide their fingers over the strings, excellent mix
- In my Life - in this one you choose to left the stereo image as intact as possible, nice decision, then you left the piano in the middle eight flow through the rears, a fine choice of mix, you did great justice and paid a lot of respect to this song, but also improving on subtle details in the mix
- Wait - This "Help!" Left over shines trough the mix, mostly everything on the front channels, but leaving the cymbals and the volume/tone pedal in the rears was a nice decision, great work on this one
- If i needed Someone - Now George's guitar work on this track is the highlight here, it highlights the 12 string, the tambourine sounds pretty wide and clean, again mainly using the front channels leaving subtle details and the lead guitar solo in the rears was nice, this tracks breaths a lot in this incarnation
- Run for Your Life - Really clean and wide well use of the resources here placing the guitars all over the sound stage gives this track new life, leaving the subject matter aside it is a fuller mix, that makes the instrumentation shine, the bass from Paul sounds great in this one with this one i find myself wanting for more

All my opinions aside, i can tell you that i can consider this mix among my favorite multichannel mixes, as well as the one you did for Beatles For Sales, hope you keep going with the rest of the catalog
Appleyard

Post by Appleyard »

Skynet, Wow!
Thank you so much for giving me the most constructive, detailed feedback I've had from any of my 5.1 mixes. I really value your comments.
You are right about everything you say. So pleased you spotted what I did with the vocals in Nowhere Man, for example. Great listening!
You spotted 3 of the songs which gave me most trouble. I also feel that Every Little Thing could be more powerful, Help is indeed too bassy and more work is definitely required on I've Just Seen A Face so I'll have another look at all of those.
I'm especially pleased with the 'floating' bongos on You're Gonna Lose That Girl!
Cheers, mate!
chescowx

Post by chescowx »

chescowx wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:06 pm Fantastic! I will go back and download those 2 - looking forward to it!!
Paul
Rubber Soul 5.1 is great again!! Thanks!!
However, for some reason on my system it picks up the 1st 2 seconds of all songs on Beatles for Sale and then goes to the next track. The only exception is Rock and Roll Music (sounds great!!) I can change the output to surround stereo and it works but not surround sound. I wonder if it's just my system? But the other 2 Help and Rubber Soul are great!! My AV system is a Maranz.

Thanks again!!
Paul
Appleyard

Post by Appleyard »

Glad you're enjoying them!
Shame about the Beatles For Sale tracks. Are they the correct size you would expect?
Just in case there was a download error, try this link instead:

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r72bChJc48L2b5wkvVirbuS7axy-9jvy?usp=share_link

Good luck and let me know if that's fixed things.

Edit: sorry, just re-read your post and the surround stereo bit implies it's not a download errror. So strange. I can't think what the issue could be at all.
skynet

Post by skynet »

chescowx wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:19 pm
chescowx wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:06 pm Fantastic! I will go back and download those 2 - looking forward to it!!
Paul
Rubber Soul 5.1 is great again!! Thanks!!
However, for some reason on my system it picks up the 1st 2 seconds of all songs on Beatles for Sale and then goes to the next track. The only exception is Rock and Roll Music (sounds great!!) I can change the output to surround stereo and it works but not surround sound. I wonder if it's just my system? But the other 2 Help and Rubber Soul are great!! My AV system is a Maranz.

Thanks again!!
Paul
Maybe is just the way you "burned" them? normally, DTS files are 44,100 Hz, so they should be burned on a CD. There are exceptions at 48,000 Hz and those should be burned on a DVD. In my case i just copied the files to a thumb drive and then plugged the thumb drive directly to my system (mine is an MHT300)

Usually ou have a cue file and one long .wav file. Follow the instructions here to burn this type of CD:

http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17.

If you have individual flac files (one per track, like in the case of these mixes), the same above guide explains how to burn them with ImgBurn.

Hopefully this helps

Regards