Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Fan created remixes and rare variations
paul62

Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Post by paul62 »

Thought I'd create a new thread for this (and EQ-match each track, with pictorial content displayed herein):

Most people with the famous Black Triangle rip of Abbey Road have downloaded it from the 'net (and most of these people can't tell if their rip was properly de-emphasised or not).

I found a folder on one of my HDDs called Abbey Road (Toshiba): there's a "track" (an .m3u file, in fact) called 00 - The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969) [FLAC] {De-Emphasized Black Triangle}.m3u, so that gave me a better idea of what I had in the folder. I imported track 01 (Come Together) from this folder into Audacity.

I then opened a raw, unprocessed 24 bit 192kHz 'drop I'd recently done of my Pro Use LP, copied Come Together from that and appended it to the Black Triangle version: Audacity took its time and converted the 24 bit 192kHz file to a 16 bit 44.1kHz file. A new blank stereo track was opened underneath, the copy I'd appended was cut away and pasted into the blank track. The two tracks were lined up, a minor speed adjustment (-0.023%) was made to the file sourced from the LP. The LP file was volume matched to the Black Triangle version and then an EQ match was done (which shows that the following EQ curve would need to be used to make the Black Triangle CD version I have sound more like the LP version I'd 'dropped). The "upside down smiley face" EQ curve makes me think that the CD wasn't properly de-emphasised, alas.

01 - Come Together (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/HKAkxd
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
paul62

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Post by paul62 »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 pm
paul62 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:15 pmThe "upside down smiley face" EQ curve makes me think that the CD wasn't properly de-emphasised, alas.
My digitally de-Emphasized version doesn't sound exactly like my old live-to-WAV captures from a vintage player so the De-Emph plugin thingy may not be 100% accurate versus actual hardware. That would be the REAL test. In the end people probably just have to digitally tweak the files anyways to their liking. I honestly don't think Abbey Road is that great sounding. It's grainy and somewhat brittle to my ears. Must be that solid state desk they switched to.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

paul62 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:26 am
Engonoceras wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 pm
paul62 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:15 pmThe "upside down smiley face" EQ curve makes me think that the CD wasn't properly de-emphasised, alas.
My digitally de-Emphasized version doesn't sound exactly like my old live-to-WAV captures from a vintage player so the De-Emph plugin thingy may not be 100% accurate versus actual hardware. That would be the REAL test. In the end people probably just have to digitally tweak the files anyways to their liking. I honestly don't think Abbey Road is that great sounding. It's grainy and somewhat brittle to my ears. Must be that solid state desk they switched to.
I've used the Differential EQ Python-scripted program written by csnyfan to match the CD version to the LP version: using that is a bit like having a 510 band equaliser, enabling a good correlation of the EQ of one track to the EQ of another track.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

02 - Something (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/7TEK0K
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

03 - Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/AyxL08
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

04 - Oh! Darling (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/W75mdm

These are sounding smooth, like a silken obi sash worn with a kimono...!!!
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

paul62 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:54 am These are sounding smooth, like a silken obi sash worn with a kimono...!!!
Now that IS smooth! :lol: Really appreciate the shares Paul!
—Keith
paul62

Post by paul62 »

05 - Octopus's Garden (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/tJ0NeR
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

powerPC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:07 am
paul62 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:54 am These are sounding smooth, like a silken obi sash worn with a kimono...!!!
Now that IS smooth! :lol: Really appreciate the shares Paul!
Glad you're liking these, my friend!! :lol: :D

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

06 - I Want You (She's So Heavy) (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/ChHt4u
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing