Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Fan created remixes and rare variations
paul62

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Post by paul62 »

07 - Here Comes the Sun (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/jnT211
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
paul62

Post by paul62 »

08 - Because (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/VQFzW9
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

09 - You Never Give Me Your Money (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/IRZN7Q
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

paul62 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:23 am I found a folder on one of my HDDs called Abbey Road (Toshiba): there's a "track" (an .m3u file, in fact) called 00 - The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969) [FLAC] {De-Emphasized Black Triangle}.m3u, so that gave me a better idea of what I had in the folder. I imported track 01 (Come Together) from this folder into Audacity.

The "upside down smiley face" EQ curve makes me think that the CD wasn't properly de-emphasised, alas.
Without spending time doing a lot of research on the matter, I'm prepared to say that I think that the .m3u file tells the media player to apply de-emphasis when playing the tracks: it could be the case that some media players may not follow the instruction, though, so the EQ-matched tracks I'm sharing are probably at least as good as any other version given the de-emphasis treatment. There is a consistency in the shape of the EQ curve, from one track to the next, which confirms to me that I'm on the right track, at any rate (so, download with a degree of confidence that these sound excellent!!).

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

10 - Sun King (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/crwiLJ
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Paul surely you just need a correctly de-emphasised copy of this? If you download a copy and it doesn't sound like it has been de-emphasised (it should be easily apparent as it will sound too bright) you can do it yourself with a plug-in. I use one for/in Foobar. You can't say the plug-ins don't do it correctly unless you put it to the test yourself...
paul62

Post by paul62 »

ianbuckers wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:07 am Paul surely you just need a correctly de-emphasised copy of this? If you download a copy and it doesn't sound like it has been de-emphasised (it should be easily apparent as it will sound too bright) you can do it yourself with a plug-in. I use one for/in Foobar. You can't say the plug-ins don't do it correctly unless you put it to the test yourself...
The aim of this exercise is twofold:

i) I want to create a tape-to-digital clone of the legendary Pro Use LP (using its younger brother, the Black Triangle CD) without any of the usual clicks, pops and other groove noise (and without using the de-clicking / de-noising software needed to remove these),

ii) I want to have a Black Triangle CD that has had the pre-emphasis removed completely/comprehensively/correctly, something that can be played in any player (physical/hardware or virtual/software players, alike).

Sure, doing the job the way I'm doing it might be the hard way to do it, but doing it this way gives me the most confidence that the pre-emphasis has been removed. The pictorial content on display in this thread tells me that the pre-emphasis has been removed. The sound of the .wav files being shared in this thread tells me that the pre-emphasis has been removed. So, I'm quite happy with the results. :D :lol:

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

11 - Mean Mr. Mustard (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/k3qJc8
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

paul62 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:46 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:07 am Paul surely you just need a correctly de-emphasised copy of this? If you download a copy and it doesn't sound like it has been de-emphasised (it should be easily apparent as it will sound too bright) you can do it yourself with a plug-in. I use one for/in Foobar. You can't say the plug-ins don't do it correctly unless you put it to the test yourself...
The aim of this exercise is twofold:

i) I want to create a tape-to-digital clone of the legendary Pro Use LP (using its younger brother, the Black Triangle CD) without any of the usual clicks, pops and other groove noise (and without using the de-clicking / de-noising software needed to remove these),

ii) I want to have a Black Triangle CD that has had the pre-emphasis removed completely/comprehensively/correctly, something that can be played in any player (physical/hardware or virtual/software players, alike).

Sure, doing the job the way I'm doing it might be the hard way to do it, but doing it this way gives me the most confidence that the pre-emphasis has been removed. The pictorial content on display in this thread tells me that the pre-emphasis has been removed. The sound of the .wav files being shared in this thread tells me that the pre-emphasis has been removed. So, I'm quite happy with the results. :D :lol:
With respect Paul all you can be sure you have correctly achieved is (i). For (ii) you need a correctly de-emphsised CD rip to be sure you have the EQ that Toshiba EMI intended.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Toshiba may well have wanted the Black Triangle CD to sound very similar to the Pro Use LP (so, a consumer with a CD player, playing the Black Triangle CD, would hear the album in the same quality as heard when playing the Pro Use LP on a turntable plugged into the same amp / speaker setup the CD player is plugged into): none of us here has access to documentation passed on to the Toshiba employees involved in preparing either disc, so we can only guess at what the intentions were, but my gut instinct is that they'd want the Black Triangle CD to sound very similar to the Pro Use LP played in like circumstances. Remember, too, that Toshiba made faithful facsimiles of album artwork et cetera: the attention to detail, the focus on quality and the desire to be faithful to the original would tend to support what my gut instinct tells me.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing