Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Tex

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Post by Tex »

I don't know about all this I'm not sure the differential EQ thing works correctly from this and other things posted. They all sound rather dull and lifeless compared to my live rips from 20+ years ago out of a first generation CD player. I would be doing these by ear if I had a good system and if I trusted my 50 year old ears.

Here's my 20 year old MP3 of "Something". It's louder because I recorded it live from the analog outs there might be some saturation going on :-)
hxxps://we.tl/t-loTOG7aEjr

Here is the MP3 of "Here Comes the Sun". I recall at the time I DID route this through the EQ just to reduce the treble a couple decibels because it's a bit brighter than the rest of the album.
hxxps://we.tl/t-q7ny8EuyQw

Sorry, I don't have WAVs for these because they were done when hard drive space was an issue.

From this I still don't think the digital pre-emph thingies or any other method are properly decoding. We are still not hearing the Toshiba correctly... correction, y'all aren't. Someone else should do a live Analog-to-Digital rip out of their oldest CD player and post so we can compare the tonality.
Last edited by Tex on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael_charles

Post by michael_charles »

paul62 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:29 pm Toshiba may well have wanted the Black Triangle CD to sound very similar to the Pro Use LP (so, a consumer with a CD player, playing the Black Triangle CD, would hear the album in the same quality as heard when playing the Pro Use LP on a turntable plugged into the same amp / speaker setup the CD player is plugged into): none of us here has access to documentation passed on to the Toshiba employees involved in preparing either disc, so we can only guess at what the intentions were, but my gut instinct is that they'd want the Black Triangle CD to sound very similar to the Pro Use LP played in like circumstances. Remember, too, that Toshiba made faithful facsimiles of album artwork et cetera: the attention to detail, the focus on quality and the desire to be faithful to the original would tend to support what my gut instinct tells me.
Paul,

WOW!!! 1st of all THANK YOU so much for doing this, 2nd of all it sounds fantastic like all of your work.
I appreciate everyone one of your contributions.

Michael
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:42 pm I don't know about all this I'm not sure the differential EQ thing works correctly from this and other things posted. They all sound rather dull and lifeless compared to my live rips from 20+ years ago out of a first generation CD player. I would be doing these by ear if I had a good system and if I trusted my 50 year old ears.

Here's my 20 year old MP3 of "Something". It's louder because I recorded it live from the analog outs there might be some saturation going on :-)

Here is the MP3 of "Here Comes the Sun". I recall at the time I DID route this through the EQ just to reduce the treble a couple decibels because it's a bit brighter than the rest of the album.

Sorry, I don't have WAVs for these because they were done when hard drive space was an issue.

From this I still don't think the digital pre-emph thingies or any other method are properly decoding. We are still not hearing the Toshiba correctly... correction, y'all aren't. Someone else should do a live Analog-to-Digital rip out of their oldest CD player and post so we can compare the tonality.
This is Something that has been correctly de-emphasised...

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1wd9ykz ... thing.flac

Sorry if download is slow for anyone with a premium account on filefactory
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

ianbuckers wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:04 pm
Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:42 pm I don't know about all this I'm not sure the differential EQ thing works correctly from this and other things posted. They all sound rather dull and lifeless compared to my live rips from 20+ years ago out of a first generation CD player. I would be doing these by ear if I had a good system and if I trusted my 50 year old ears.

Here's Mean Mr Mustard for anyone wanting a smaller and quicker to download sample track...

https://www.filefactory.com/file/1f4yad ... stard.flac
Last edited by ianbuckers on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael_charles

Post by michael_charles »

ianbuckers wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Here's Mean Mr Mustard for anyone wanting a smaller and quicker to download sample track...

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting. I see the above are in flac, did you re-rip the cd becasue the 1st two songs you posted were in mp3, just curious. I think you accidentally included the "Something" link for Mean Mr Mustard.

Thanks,
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

michael_charles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:16 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting. I see the above are in flac, did you re-rip the cd becasue the 1st two songs you posted were in mp3, just curious. I think you accidentally included the "Something" link for Mean Mr Mustard.

Thanks,
Apologies for duplicate link. I have now edited my post above.

The mp3s aren't my uploads. Mine are the two flacs.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

@ianbuckers and @Engonoceras, thank you guys for the original de-emphasized rips for comparison! I downloaded both versions of "Something" you uploaded. When I line them all up with Paul's, I hear that Engonoceras' file is louder, ianbuckers' file is quieter, and Paul's file is right in the middle (between loud and quiet)... otherwise they all sound the same to me; what am I missing to complete the picture -- should I be hearing big differences, or subtle?

NOTE: I am only listening through iMac computer speakers, so maybe the differences have to be heard on a good high-end player?
—Keith
Tex

Post by Tex »

Downloading Ian's "Something". Wetransfer is also free but much faster d/l speed by the way.
Last edited by Tex on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

powerPC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:33 pm @ianbuckers and @Engonoceras, thank you guys for the original de-emphasized rips for comparison! I downloaded both versions of "Something" you uploaded. When I line them all up with Paul's, I hear that Engonoceras' file is louder, ianbuckers' file is quieter, and Paul's file is right in the middle (between loud and quiet)... otherwise they all sound the same to me; what am I missing to complete the picture -- should I be hearing big differences, or subtle?

NOTE: I am only listening through iMac computer speakers, so maybe the differences have to be heard on a good high-end player?
The volume level is superfluous. Normalise all three so they are on a level playing field. And listen on headphones.
Tex

Post by Tex »

powerPC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:33 pmI hear that Engonoceras' file is louder.
Yes, mine is louder because it was recorded from the analog outs at the max volume I could get without clipping. The CD was probably mastered a bit too low. Yes, listen on headphones not computer speakers.