ABBEY ROAD SOURCE SHOOTOUT!!!

Fan created remixes and rare variations
FerBeaT

Re: ABBEY ROAD SOURCE SHOOTOUT!!!

Post by FerBeaT »

To me, as always, Japan Black Triangle cd 1983 (de-emphasised). Absolutely.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Audiophil and Ebbetts are neck and neck for me.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I never cared for the late 80's cd versions of most Beatles music, because the volume of the discs was always so low and muffled. I'd prefer the longest fade outs, then EQ to match them up.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Here are 20 year old live Analog-to-digital rips from an old CD player. MP3 (320 bit) only sorry didn't have the space at the time to store WAVs. They sound fine regardless of the compression.

This should represent actual analog circuitry de-emphasis. I think this is more accurate to what it's supposed to sound like. The digitally de-emphasized one I downloaded years back didn't sound as good to me and the more recent one is VERY muffled and dead sounding no "breath of life" at all.

I recall when I ripped these I DID route "Here Come's the Sun" through the EQ just to reduce the treble a couple decibels because it's a bit brighter than the rest of the album. "I Want You" may have a slight treble boost since it was duller sounding. Otherwise I just went from CD player audio out to line in on the audio card and raised the recording level as loud as I could without clipping.

"Come Together"
hxxps://we.tl/t-mGEcjyza1M

"Something". Listen on headphones so nice :D
hxxps://we.tl/t-loTOG7aEjr

"Here Comes the Sun".
hxxps://we.tl/t-q7ny8EuyQw

"Because"
hxxps://we.tl/t-C4MuBhERc4

"I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
hxxps://we.tl/t-2SwG5BEIpy

Here is the 2nd half of the Medley. I have to upload the whole thing because that's how I recorded it and my MP3 splitter won't split a track that long.
hxxps://we.tl/t-8FcuncmCvi
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thanks. You are right Something is wonderful with headphones and so are the rest of the tracks.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Alright, I'll have a go.

All of these sound fine as far as EQ goes. Some have a bit more bass, some have a little more HF, but all are subjectively fine.

1. Russian Blue Box has a lot of clicks
2. Ebbetts has dropouts (assuming from over-aggressive pop removal) - PC uses this exact same source, so you may have it in lossless and not even know it. Ebbetts kicks in an HP filter at the end, which ruins the fade-out.
3. Black Triangle has the cleanest long fade-out
4. Japan Pro-Use has a fair amount of noise reduction applied throughout. Listen to the end, yuk! Assuming this is the fault of the vinyl ripper.
5. Audiophil seems to be the cleanest and least post-processed of the vinyl rips.
6. 1987, 2009, and Black Triangle all sound good to me, but because of the premature fades in 1987 and 2009, the Black Triangle wins, hands down.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

LR, I can also confirm that the de-emphasis on your Black Triangle is within a dB of what I get when I manually apply de-emphasis to a rip that I have that obviously doesn't have the de-emphasis applied.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

masterjedi wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:32 am LR, I can also confirm that the de-emphasis on your Black Triangle is within a dB of what I get when I manually apply de-emphasis to a rip that I have that obviously doesn't have the de-emphasis applied.
Cool. That's good to know. I used an audacity xml file.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:02 pm Here are 20 year old live Analog-to-digital rips from an old CD player. MP3 (320 bit) only sorry didn't have the space at the time to store WAVs. They sound fine regardless of the compression.
I compared your analogue rip of Come Together to the Toshiba cd which I de-emphasised myself with audacity and they are essentially the same except yours has a 3.7db peak at 20 khz (which is probably above the range of the recording and might be distortion or noise... whatever the case it is beyond the hearing of 99.9% of humans).

The analogue de-emphasis circuit was a simple thing made from a few capacitors and resistors. Back in my analogue electronics days I used to make these sorts of analogue filters all the time and they are not very accurate. The parts commonly have a 5% tolerance, which means when you combine a bunch of these together the end result can be a total crap shoot. I would not trust the playback of an old cd player over a modern software filter which is designed to exactly invert the pre-emphasis curve. At any rate your rip shows that the audacity xml script is basically correct.

Here is the xml script for loading into audacity's equaliser: https://tinyurl.com/4pvky4p3
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Tex

Post by Tex »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:32 am Here is the xml script for loading into audacity's equaliser: https://tinyurl.com/4pvky4p3
Thanks!!. OK, took awhile but figured out it doesn't actually go in the Program or Program/plugins folders where most of the plugins are it goes in 1/Appdata/Audacity.