The Beatles Play For The Royal Family - 2023 Stereo Mix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
DocRobert

The Beatles Play For The Royal Family - 2023 Stereo Mix

Post by DocRobert »

I’ve been taking a look at another TV performance by the fab four, and this 1963 show presented me with quite a challenge to clean up the original substandard audio and remix it into stereo.

SOME BACKGROUND INFO
On 4th November 1963 the Beatles were invited to appear at the Royal Variety Performance from London’s Prince Of Wales Theatre, attended by HRH The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret. The Fab Four’s arrival drew more attention than the arrival of the Royal Family - after all, the Liverpool mop-tops had already achieved four UK hits with the last three reaching the top spot on the charts. In less than 12 months Beatlemania had swept the nation like a ferocious gust of wind (and their fourth number one, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, was released a few days after this show aired). The group, seventh on the bill of 19 acts, wowed the upmarket theatre audience with an energetic 11-minute set, and prior to ripping into a rousing rendition of their closing rocker, Lennon made a sarcastic suggestion to the audience that would go down in the annals of pop history. One news commentator said "Never in all my years of observing Royal Variety audiences have I known this usually starch, 'on their best behaviour' audience, unbend so quickly and so completely”. This concert - and Lennon's now-iconic comment - won rave reviews in the UK and garnered the group its first bit of US press, planting seeds for their milestone Ed Sullivan appearances three months later. This full show aired on ITV across the UK on 10th November 1963 attracting the highest viewers of all time for a Royal Variety Performance - a record that still stands 60 years later. 21.2 million Brits tuned in to see the fab four on a small black & white television set and to hear their songs through its tiny lo-fi speaker. But history was being made.

The original mono broadcast sound was poor so I cleaned it up to improve fidelity. I then remixed it into stereo for a more immersive, dynamic presentation of the night “When The Beatles Played For The Royal Family”. Here’s video of the surviving black & white footage which now features my new 2023 stereo mix hxxps://we.tl/t-yGnHjypp82

Interview clip two weeks before the show
From Me To You
She Loves You
Till There Was You
Twist & Shout

Playoff Music by the Prince Of Wales Theatre Orchestra

Here's four audio-only flac files of some of my recent stereo mixes of Beatles live TV performances. Click the following link and then click the "download at high speed" box. Enjoy! https://easyupload.io/p7fnur

DocRobert
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (375.48 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (164.43 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Last edited by DocRobert on Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
alphabeatles

Re: The Beatles Play For The Royal Family - New Stereo Mix

Post by alphabeatles »

Very well done, thanks for this! Can you also provide lossless audio of the show? If not I can pull it out of the video.

I was just thinking, Paul conquered post-war Britain with his German bass and John with his German-sounding American guitar brand...
DocRobert

Post by DocRobert »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:37 pm Very well done, thanks for this! Can you also provide lossless audio of the show? If not I can pull it out of the video.

Thank you alphabeatles! Here's a lossless audio file of my new stereo mix without the video: hxxps://we.tl/t-mXTkyvZfGS

DocRobert
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks for the audio!

BTW, it was fun to see Paul make his little joke, which paved the way for John to make his even bigger one! I had not made the connection before.
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank You!!
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME DocRobert - thank you.....
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Thank you very much, DocRobert! :D
Ale.
Claude_de_Faux

Post by Claude_de_Faux »

Great job !

Thank you.
MoltenJackass

Post by MoltenJackass »

Very cool! Thanks.
DocRobert

Post by DocRobert »

Thank you BeatleGuy1949, BTL1210, Alessandro, MoltenJackass, and Claude.

DocRobert