FABRACADABRA!

Fan created remixes and rare variations
alphabeatles

Re: FABRACADABRA! (V6)

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:57 am
Krussell2021 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:39 pm Please could you post the fixed version of Day Tripper.
https://tinyurl.com/pwbfxyjc
Thanks for this!

I always thought the dropout was a tape issue, not a performance one. Listening to the 1988 Past Masters version, the drop-off note seems to end naturally but the resumed note fades in. But the US stereo mix (from Rubber Soul Recording Sessions Reconstructed) sounds more like an actual start and stop.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:42 pm Actually I unfixed it! I used the 1+ stereo as a starting point rather than the 65 mix and it is already fixed on that. But I know that this missing note is a sore point with many people who are used to a gap in that spot, so I undid their fix. But I can also post the "fixed" version if you want.
Wonderful, thanks a bunch!
Me, I prefer it with the note missing, same as I like the weird "was in vain" bit in If I Fell. That kind of stuff reminds me that they were human.
I have the same thing with the false start on ILTY :D Although not with the missing note in Day Tripper, for me it stands out like a sore thumb.
- Run For Your Life starts with two "mic thumps" in the right channel?
Not sure what you mean. I don't hear any thumps.
My bad, I should have verified with Audacity first, and of course it shows nothing on the track, as you would expect. After some checking I found the effect is only there on my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones, so I'm guessing it's some kind of bug in its audio processor. Even weirder, if I swap the channels in Audacity the effect disappears :shock: I should maybe ask Santa for the XM5 series.
HannibalTwin8

Post by HannibalTwin8 »

Thank you, Lord Reith! Season's Greetings!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:29 pm I always thought the dropout was a tape issue, not a performance one. Listening to the 1988 Past Masters version, the drop-off note seems to end naturally but the resumed note fades in. But the US stereo mix (from Rubber Soul Recording Sessions Reconstructed) sounds more like an actual start and stop.
Well actually if you listen to the boot of the raw tape then ISTR there is a squelchy noise at that spot, which would indicate they stop/started during overdubbing of the guitar, and tried to mask this noise in mixing by fading in.
harrylime wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:25 pmMy bad, I should have verified with Audacity first, and of course it shows nothing on the track, as you would expect. After some checking I found the effect is only there on my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones, so I'm guessing it's some kind of bug in its audio processor. Even weirder, if I swap the channels in Audacity the effect disappears :shock: I should maybe ask Santa for the XM5 series.
Sounds like one side of your cans has a defect.
HannibalTwin8 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 pm Thank you, Lord Reith! Season's Greetings!
Ooo ta! I like a lot of seasoning in me soup!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:53 pmWell actually if you listen to the boot of the raw tape then ISTR there is a squelchy noise at that spot, which would indicate they stop/started during overdubbing of the guitar, and tried to mask this noise in mixing by fading in.
OK, good point! I checked different versions of the takes 1-3 session and hear what you describe at take 3. Oddly enough, the guitar continues playing just fine, except there is that tape swipe sound on both channels. Maybe this was a punch-in on the vocals instead? Or some sloppy backwards-tape experiment gone astray...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 pmOr some sloppy backwards-tape experiment gone astray...
Ha! Day tripper with backward guitar and tape loops. Actually you've just given me an idea...
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:53 am
alphabeatles wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 pmOr some sloppy backwards-tape experiment gone astray...
Ha! Day tripper with backward guitar and tape loops. Actually you've just given me an idea...
What have I done? I've set off the Mad Lord!
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Yet another fine installment from the man himself. Excellent job
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:17 am Yet another fine installment from the man himself. Excellent job
Thankyou suh!
alphabeatles wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:55 am What have I done? I've set off the Mad Lord!
It was an idea to distort the guitar in Day Tripper like Paperback Writer. It worked, but sounds horrible!
Tex

Post by Tex »

alphabeatles wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 pm Maybe this was a punch-in on the vocals instead?
Correct. A punch in that deleted a bit too much.