THE MOVEMENT YOU NEED

Fan created remixes and rare variations
slane

Re: THE MOVEMENT YOU NEED

Post by slane »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:39 am Image

It's time to crank up the old hand-wound gramophone and revisit the beloved Extended Play format!

On this occasion we have a fresh packet of Birdy Num-Nums to tempt even the fussiest eater. Please find in your feeding tray:

* Hey Jude - take 9 (the one in the film Music!) with the plumage unfolded to reveal its full stereo potential.

* Step Inside Love - when I included this Cilla/Paul/George Martin demo on a recent EP, someone commented that we needed to get Paul's vocal into it somehow. Well, I asked Paul but he was busy, however Ringo was more than happy to pop over with his coconuts and give them a good rapping. In fact, he did an amazing reproduction of the White Album outtake.

* Revolution 1 - this new mix has everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. All the original tracks, plus the overdubs from the mono mix, plus the electric guitar and horns from the album. It's long, it's turgid, it's more garish than a flamingo and it's packed with enough little bitties to keep you guessing for a week.

* You Know My Name - the song that George wrecked specially for Anthology. But have no fear, the missing Cuckoo/ocarina section has been restored in stereo as well as the pointlessly curtailed ending. And the rest of the band put into stereo instead of mono too. Cuckoo!

Enjoy with a feathered friend, and please remember to wipe off any movements on your shoulder afterwards.

https://tinyurl.com/expires-29th-nov

ImageImage

parrot2.png
First time post for me, after lurking here for a long time.

That version of Revolution is great! It gave me an idea, why not throw Revolution 9 into the mix as well?

I used your version as the basis (hope you don't mind) and layered Rev 9 on top. I know the official Rev 9 was edited down by nearly a minute, but oddly that seems to help it fit over the long Rev 1 better than it would otherwise do. The couple of points where you hear 'Right!' or 'Alright!' are roughly in the same areas, though I stopped short of trying to get those perfectly in sync, Instead, I matched up the 'You become naked' sections at the end and just let it run before that.

It took a couple of passes using different methods to try and get some of the quieter bits of Rev 9 heard without letting the louder sections overwhelm everything else, I then combined both attempts into a final mix.

It's chaotic (maybe too chaotic at times), but some of the transitions in Rev 9 almost seem designed to fit.

hxxps://1drv.ms/u/s!ApnBxRqYwftnk0rYBrXVsE678dsQ?e=PLIgvy
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Cool. I tried this myself too a long time ago, and it does indeed fit very well over the top. Lewisohn said that Rev9 was based upon the final part of Rev1, whatever that means.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
RLester

Post by RLester »

Respectfully submitted: a revised cover.
Attachments
tumblr_ofgfimPiu61tga28so1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ofgfimPiu61tga28so1_1280.jpg (253.57 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

The Movement You Need reminded me more of this photo:

[img [/]
etidel

Post by etidel »

Hello All
Does this ''parrot'' photo exist in color?
slane

Post by slane »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:36 pm Cool. I tried this myself too a long time ago, and it does indeed fit very well over the top. Lewisohn said that Rev9 was based upon the final part of Rev1, whatever that means.
Yeah, whatever that means :D

It was only when I did this combination that I realised that I'm not entirely sure how Rev 9 was made. Was it recorded on top of a tape (or copy) of the long Rev 1 (which was my assumption), or was it built on a new tape with bits from Rev 1 dropped in? And were (all) the tape loops recorded onto the 4-track (as with TNK) or fed in live during mixing?

The released Rev 9 does fit well over Take 18/20. But the alternate mono mix of Rev 9 that circulates includes several segments of material that was edited out of the released version (sometimes very small bits, for instance there's more of a pause between 'Take this brother' and 'May it serve you well' that was tightened up on the finished version).

I did consider trying to put the edited-out parts back into the Rev 9 master before I synced it with Rev 1, but it just wouldn't have fitted as well. For instance, the first 'Number 9' announcement comes in right at the turnaround before the last verse, which seems perfect. Using a full-length Rev 9 would mean it would appear much (nearly a minute) earlier.

So in a nutshell, I'm not sure how Rev 9 was made or if it was ever completely 'linear' with Rev 1. But it's weird how the edited-down master fits over the long Rev 1 much better than the full-length version would. Almost as if it was designed to (it probably wasn't, but to my ears a lot of the transitions work out very well with the underlying music tracks).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

JoeWadley wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:18 pm The Movement You Need reminded me more of this photo:

[img [/]
Yeah, that was my alternate paper-insert "retro" cover for Why Don't We Do It In The Bowl. But I believe it is actually a bidet (they were in Paris 1961 oo la la).
slane wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:06 am So in a nutshell, I'm not sure how Rev 9 was made or if it was ever completely 'linear' with Rev 1. But it's weird how the edited-down master fits over the long Rev 1 much better than the full-length version would. Almost as if it was designed to (it probably wasn't, but to my ears a lot of the transitions work out very well with the underlying music tracks).
I think maybe John used just the vocal track as a starting point and added stuff to that. But it seems like an odd thing to do unless he was intending to lay it back over the song.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
vinylwall

Post by vinylwall »

Dang! I just missed this. Any chance of a re-up?
vinylwall

Post by vinylwall »

Shoot, it appears I missed a whole series of EPs by Lord Reith (at least 6?). Can anyone help me out?
vickrose777

Post by vickrose777 »

:arrow:
Last edited by vickrose777 on Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.