The 1992 CD EP box

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Re: The 1992 CD EP box

Post by Lord Reith »

Muzair wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:48 am Those EP and Singles boxes were great. In fact they still are great. I believe they were the only way to get the mono mixes of stuff from 1965-1968 on CD until the 2009 remasters, unless I'm misremembering that.

My understanding was that the EP box had been transferred from lower generation tapes than the singles box... but my memory is that both sets sounded excellent.
I've got the teeny 2 inch cd singles, with the mini artwork. I love them. Such a novelty item, and they do sound awesome.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Tex

Post by Tex »

Muzair wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:48 am My understanding was that the EP box had been transferred from lower generation tapes than the singles box... but my memory is that both sets sounded excellent.
As Hoffman would point out, a good mastering of a 2nd gen source can beat a poor mastering of a 1st gen source. Just listen to the original version of "Past Masters 1" which is from the 1st gen sources.
The Milky Bar Kid

Post by The Milky Bar Kid »

I bought a lot of the three inch singles when JB Hi-Fi were throwing them out: some for $1.00 and some for $2.95 / $3.00.
I didn't get a complete set but I've got twenty one singles covering thirteen different singles. Three copies of "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", two copies of "Hello Goodbye", "Ticket To Ride", "Help!", "I Feel Fine", "A Hard Day's Night", "Love Me Do". All still sealed in the outer plastic case they were sold in. (Not looking to sell or trade - the thread made me curious and do a stocktake of what I have).
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:34 pm In 1992 EMI released a CD version of the late 1981 EP box. Apparently this release was ignored or dismissed as redundant by most fans. What is desirable about the CD release is that mastering is often superior to what was done in 1986/1987 of the same material.

Although most of the EPs are 2nd gen tapes the "Bonus" EP was possibly a compilation of 1st gen stereo masters. The most important track is "She's A Woman" on the "Bonus" EP which retains Paul's count-in and sounds radically better EQ-wise than what was transferred for "Past Masters" (aka Trashed Masters). The mono "Hand" is also a knock out that will have you ditching every stereo version.

Here is the CD version of the "Bonus" EP:
hxxps://we.tl/t-kX4N3WnqD4

Here is the CD version of the "Million Sellers" EP:
hxxps://we.tl/t-ZCsRvYgsh7

Here is the CD version of the "The Beatles Hits" EP:
hxxps://we.tl/t-PjJDfieCz2

These transfers are worth the price of the CD EP box in my opinion. Get these now. Also get the box on Ebay.
Thank you very much, Engonoceras! :D
Ale.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The Milky Bar Kid wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:03 am I bought a lot of the three inch singles when JB Hi-Fi were throwing them out: some for $1.00 and some for $2.95 / $3.00.
I didn't get a complete set but I've got twenty one singles covering thirteen different singles. Three copies of "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", two copies of "Hello Goodbye", "Ticket To Ride", "Help!", "I Feel Fine", "A Hard Day's Night", "Love Me Do". All still sealed in the outer plastic case they were sold in. (Not looking to sell or trade - the thread made me curious and do a stocktake of what I have).
Oh, you were lucky. I paid full price for mine.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

After the EP box, must include

Baby It's You [BBC EP]
Free As A Bird [EP]
Real Love [EP]

From the Anthology Series, still 6 songs that are not on any Album

I bought the EP set,in early 2000's...I missed out on the Singles Set

I made 2 or 3 CD-R's of the EP set songs....
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
r9453

Post by r9453 »

jpgrcat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:18 am Baby It's You [BBC EP]
Thanks for the tip, I did not know that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_It%27s_You
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

The 3 songs from Baby It's You [EP] are on 'Live At The BBC-On Air-Volume 2', & remastered
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
magoocus

Post by magoocus »

I believe the mastering on the 3" singles is different from the 5" set.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

magoocus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:03 pm I believe the mastering on the 3" singles is different from the 5" set.
Can you continue on that? I'm trying to remember the source, but I'm pretty sure the consensus has been the masterings are the same. I have both, but inquiring minds want to know.

Dave in Nashville