Sour Milk Sea c/w Step Inside Love

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Sour Milk Sea c/w Step Inside Love

Post by Lord Reith »

I've been adding some stuff to the last volume of abracadabra, so here is a new preview single .

Okay, I know I've done both of these before but this is way better than that early attempt!

Sour Milk Sea has:

- George's rhythm guitar from the demo on the left, along with another rhythm guitar from the Jackie Lomax single
- George's demo vocal plus drums and bass from the single in the centre
- Lead guitar and organ from the single on the right

All fully synched and demixed to make it sound like an actual White Album outtake. :)

Step Inside Love is an edit of various takes made while filming Paul, Cilla and George Martin. Here Priscilla's vocal is in the centre, Paul's guitar is on the left and George's piano is on the right.

Enjoy with a glass of FRESH milk.

https://tinyurl.com/expires-20th-nov
Image Image
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
rcmachin

Re: Sour Milk Sea c/w Step Inside Love

Post by rcmachin »

Excellent.
Rondordrecht193

Post by Rondordrecht193 »

wow ... thank you!!!
MorseMoose

Post by MorseMoose »

Thanks for this. Sounds great!
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Another stab at this classic remixer's challenge! Really cool to sync the electric guitar from the demo with the band take. Not bad, but:
- tape delay effect on George vocal is too long
- onset of some vocal lines is buried, not sure if there's much to be done about that...
- a bit of the original vocal remains in places, particularly high frequencies (5-10 kHz)

Your mix's backing is sonically superior to my 2018 attempt, which suffered from having to pitch shift to get close enough to the key of the SDE demo. The bootlegged demo is just a better fit to the band take. I wonder if anyone has attempted to make a mashup with the ATMP SDE demo?
MorseMoose

Post by MorseMoose »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:27 pm I wonder if anyone has attempted to make a mashup with the ATMP SDE demo?
I was just thinking this. Might have a stab at this later or tomorrow - if the results are good, I'll share it.
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank You LR!!
Antonio218

Post by Antonio218 »

Thanks a lot for this
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:27 pm Really cool to sync the electric guitar from the demo with the band take.
Yeah I was surprised how much it added to the song. Sounds more like John on guitar and gives it more drive.
- tape delay effect on George vocal is too long
Well that was deliberate, I was going for a more psychedelic effect than ADT. His voice sounds very weedy in those parts so it needs something to bolster it.
- onset of some vocal lines is buried, not sure if there's much to be done about that...
Yeah I guess the problem he is not projecting enough because the demo backing was fairly quiet. I wish he'd just sung louder. But I think it is okay because he was constantly burying his vocals in that period (think Old Brown Show, Not Guilty, Blue Jay Way, It's All Too Much) so it is not that different to how he might have done it anyway.
- a bit of the original vocal remains in places, particularly high frequencies (5-10 kHz)
I think that's a bit of guide vocal on the left channel. Very difficult to get rid of when it's so faint. Also, some of it is actually George's guide vocal so i didn't really want to lose that.

Thanks for the constructive comments!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

I don't think the second voice bolsters it in this way. Have you tried ADT? I used ADT in the verses of my version. But i think ADT doesn't work well with the offline (and already reverbed) demo vocal. Or, closer to what you have, how about slap back tape echo? That could actually work since it's meat to be a rocker!

Agreed about the vocal performance! I'm not sure but I would assume there are ways of improving the vocal isolation. I'll run some tests when I can.

There is a guide vocal, and it is likely George, but the phrasing doesn't match up with the flown in vocal, so it is distracting. When I made mine (before ai vocal removers), I did a center removal and then spectrally removed the traces of vocal that remained, manually.