Good Day Sunshine (Vocals Only)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Tex

Re: Good Day Sunshine (Vocals Only)

Post by Tex »

millerTEK wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:25 am So it makes you wonder - what was the bootleg's source as when that appeared in the 90s, they didn't remix and reconstruct a Take 1 and then a Take 2 with vocals..right, why would they do that? I now think the bootleg source having the vocals on THEIR Take 2 meant their source was probably the recording of Take 3 with vocals - in which that take also included the queuing of the false start from Take 1, too.
The released song is take 2 with overdubs. Overdubs did not get new take numbers once they went to 4-track.

The bootlegged version is a rough stereo mix of take 2 with all four tracks of the 4-track turned up.

The Revolver DE version is simply just track 1 of the 4-track turned up (other 3 tracks muted).

The first draft of the Anthology 2 CD was actually going to include a vocals only mix of "Paperback Writer" but they dropped that.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:10 pm
millerTEK wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:25 am So it makes you wonder - what was the bootleg's source as when that appeared in the 90s, they didn't remix and reconstruct a Take 1 and then a Take 2 with vocals..right, why would they do that? I now think the bootleg source having the vocals on THEIR Take 2 meant their source was probably the recording of Take 3 with vocals - in which that take also included the queuing of the false start from Take 1, too.
The released song is take 2 with overdubs. Overdubs did not get new take numbers once they went to 4-track.

The bootlegged version is a rough stereo mix of take 2 with all four tracks of the 4-track turned up.

The Revolver DE version is simply just track 1 of the 4-track turned up (other 3 tracks muted).

The first draft of the Anthology 2 CD was actually going to include a vocals only mix of "Paperback Writer" but they dropped that.
Thank you for the clarification of the session! I examined the various releases of these takes and overdubs in my collection and finalized on these versions:

Paperback Writer (tk1, w/stereo chat) (Four Sides Of The Circle, Revolver-Valkyrie Records VAL-013)
Paperback Writer (tk2, backing) (2022 Super Deluxe Edition)
Paperback Writer (tk3) [tk2+overdubs] (Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 3-Unique Tracks)

The 2022 SDE cuts off most of the pre-tk1 chat, does not let the ending play out and does not include the bleed from the other tracks, so you need all three versions.

Tracks duplicating this same material that went into the crapper (201MB ;-) ):

Paperback Writer (tk1-2 (S2S+UT) (Great Scott! It's... The Beatles-MasterJedi).flac
Paperback Writer (tk1-2) (Entomology, upgrade).flac
Paperback Writer (tk1) (4/13/66) (Four Sides Of The Circle, Revolver-Valkyrie Records VAL-013).flac
Paperback Writer (tk1) (Complete Recording Sessions-coltturkey 2017).flac
Paperback Writer (tk1) (Revolver Super Deluxe Edition, RalseiDeltarune).flac
Paperback Writer (tk1) YD SS Vol4 (stereo) (Revolver Studio Sessions, Back To Basics-V1 Beta, Helter Skelter).flac
Paperback Writer (tk2 [fake] Instrumental) (Revolver Super Deluxe Edition, RalseiDeltarune).flac
Paperback Writer (tk2) (Anthology Expanded Edition-VooDoo Records).flac
Paperback Writer (tk2) (Ultra Rare Trax-2010).flac
Paperback Writer (tk2) YD SS Vol4 (stereo) (Revolver Studio Sessions, Back To Basics-V1 Beta, Helter Skelter).flac
Paperback Writer 3 (4/13/66) (Four Sides Of The Circle, Revolver-Valkyrie Records VAL-013).flac
Paperback Writer 7 (4/14/66) (Four Sides Of The Circle, Revolver-Valkyrie Records VAL-013).flac
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

I see a Valkyrie version listed as a keeper, I cringe painfully...
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:16 pm I see a Valkyrie version listed as a keeper, I cringe painfully...
I hear you, there may have been others but they were exactly the same (seemingly). I can revisit ;-)

OK I see, Valkyrie brought up the R channel of the stereo chat while the others left it weak. Some boots inverted the channels for some reason.
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

at first i passed, but now i'm having non-buyers remorse. could some kind soul please re-up the vocals only good day sunshine? thank you in advance!!
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

millerTEK wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:25 am
WOA76 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:58 pm
millerTEK wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:49 am Thank you! Because no takes from this song were included in the session discs - I looked up the session in the Mark Lewisohn Recording Sessions bible and saw there were only a few takes and then mainly overdubs after. I guess Giles didn't like what he heard in that production form.
from what was said there wasn't a lot of music in those takes and the official takes only complete one....
He said we want everything but he has to make it for the general public.......

I agree to alot that with the Anthogy tracks on it is a bit off rip off getting the same take we got on but new technology so they do more to them...

also with Paperback Writer 1/2 it so odd not hearing "tape bleed" we heard one bootleg from them tape over themselves and bit extra chat....and it REAL take 2
I liked how they kind of updated us with those items that were on Anthology to give us more complete and better sounding versions. Good Day Sunshine of course was not on Anthology and YES - I guess they must have made a really basic and complete ONE TAKE knowing more would be added to it later. Appears Take 1 was Drums and Paul singing (or guiding) from what I interpreted from the ML Recording Sessions book.

Paperback writer was interesting - as AT FIRST I was pissed because Take 1 and 2 have been available for years...but I noticed the ML Recording Sessions book does state Take 2 was actually THE COMPLETE RHYTHM track...which I never noticed before. So this official release is more accurate in presenting the Take2 without vocals...as vocals were overdubbed onto Take 3 which was the mixdown of Take 2. So it makes you wonder - what was the bootleg's source as when that appeared in the 90s, they didn't remix and reconstruct a Take 1 and then a Take 2 with vocals..right, why would they do that? I now think the bootleg source having the vocals on THEIR Take 2 meant their source was probably the recording of Take 3 with vocals - in which that take also included the queuing of the false start from Take 1, too. Since Take 1 was so short as a false start, and they all knew this, they just decided to let the track continue to Take 2's rhythm...and they added the vocals.

This is just speculation and I'm sure folks will chime in a disagree - which is fine, because nobody has speculated on that reasoning before...
Paperback is from Bartlett tapes or Roger Scott the DJ who did vocal over for the 1983 Abbey Road Video Show
so with techogy as said they able remove the bleed thought old bootlegs

as i said i miss it after hearing for nearly 40 years but the new version on DE has few sec Ringo talking not there before and unlike bootlegs this 1st Gen tape no hiss
Chris
quitefancy12

Post by quitefancy12 »

unwantedman wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:29 pm at first i passed, but now i'm having non-buyers remorse. could some kind soul please re-up the vocals only good day sunshine? thank you in advance!!
Good for one week:
hxxps://we.tl/t-HCi4Uqsl61
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

thank you! you are, indeed, quite fancy.
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.