Fan created remixes and rare variations
beatlescollectors

Re: VET SOUNDS

Post by beatlescollectors »

Thank You Lord !!! :) :) :)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thankyou, fellow veterinaries. Your kind words are better than doggie treats!
stereoman33 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:19 pm I already have abracadabra and I can't work out what is different about the other 3 songs
Please tell me
cheers
Mostly it's just the quality of separation and the actual audio quality. Spleeter was okay but didn't really handle high frequencies very well so I would have to fudge that part of it to get a decent result. Also Spleeter got really confused by all the weird sounds they were using in 1967. Demucs seems to have an extraordinary ability to define an instrument even when it doesn't sound quite right. And what occasional mistakes it makes can be easily fixed. So these are closer to my ideal of what the mixes would have sounded like if they'd had 8 recording tracks in 1967. The difference is probably more noticeable on headphones where you are close up to the music. Clearer cymbals, no instruments wandering back and forth across the sound field, clearer bass guitar. All good stuff.
ennolenno wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:04 pm Thankyou for the VET SOUNDS EP.
Well, I've got a question concerning I Am The Walrus:
At a first listen, it sounds like the American single - in S T E R E O. Great!
But what do you mean by "Das Kapitol mix"? Is it Marx' "Das Kapital"? (and therefore only a typical bootleg typo? ;) )
Please let me know. Otherwise I don't know how to interpret this track :shock: :lol:
It's meant to be the US capitol single yes. The mono mixes all had ADT on the vocal unlike the stereos, plus they had the drums muted twice during the first half of the song and shorter intros. The Capitol one had that extra bar in the middle which I've always loved so I put that back too (actually if you listen to Anthology you can hear this extra bar was a mistake, but they overdubbed all the stuff on top of it anyway). "Das Kapitol mix" is just a jokey nod to Marx. I'm always amused by the weird names deejays give to their remixes on commercial releases.
Kwai Chang wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:11 pm They shoot electric sugar cubes don't they?
I'm always happy to hear Baby You're A Rich Man become more and more intimate. It sounds very nice. What is the 2nd instrument at the beginning? That and the guitars are liberated here!
Apparently it's John rolling an organge (!) over the keyboard of a Clavioline. I've not played a Clavioline so I don't know if that's possible or whether it's just a folk legend. The instrument also has a touch strip for making a sound a bit like a Theremin, which you can hear on the instrumental hit "Telstar", but it doesn't sound quite like what John is doing so maybe it really is played with an orange after all. I should have called it "Clockwork Orange Mix" :lol: And yes the guitar is quite interesting isn't it. Normally it's mixed up with some percussion but I pulled the latter over to the left so that the guitar and clockwork orange can be heard better.
apesrfools wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:56 pm I support the idea that Kwai Chang write liner notes for all future LR releases
I agree wholeheartedly. He is our very own Derek Taylor.
StephenLofty wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:57 am Thank you so much, sounds great! I’m loving the sound of the drums on ‘Hey Bulldog’
Yeah, I struggled with that one on Abracadabra and was never happy with it. The record sounds thin even though the bass guitar is quite loud, and that's because the drums have no low end on them. Was that deliberate? I don't know. The YS Songtrack mix addressed this, but I think they just boosted the low end on everything. So I fiddled around with the eq on the drums a bit to make it sound more like Ringo's usual drum sound, and I think when you can hear the bass drum, that locks in much more effectively with Paul's bass and the whole thing just has more life, but it still sounds close to the original.
alphabeatles wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:58 pm This brings up a question I wanted to ask LR:

Which of your earlier work(s) would you consider "replaceable" at this point?
All of them! They're all rubbish. I hate anything I've done older than a year.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm
alphabeatles wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:58 pm This brings up a question I wanted to ask LR:

Which of your earlier work(s) would you consider "replaceable" at this point?
All of them! They're all rubbish. I hate anything I've done older than a year.
Well then! Clear the decks!

Thanks for the clarification ;-)
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm All of them! They're all rubbish. I hate anything I've done older than a year.
Funny, that's just what John said when chatting to George Martin in the mid 70's.

GM: Even 'Strawberry Fields'
JL: Especially 'Strawberry Fields'
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Thank you very much, Lord! :)
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Thank you, another winner.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm
apesrfools wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:56 pm I support the idea that Kwai Chang write liner notes for all future LR releases
I agree wholeheartedly. He is our very own Derek Taylor.
Here, here! I rise to applaud his Lordship's proclamation. Let the House's typesetter be so advised.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME - Thank you M'Lord .....
DaVa-67

Post by DaVa-67 »

I'm really enjoying these alternative mixes. It's an exiting time for us Beatles fans with all of this new technology.
Imagine how more refined the technology will be in the near future.
Thanks so much Lord Reith for taking your time to give us so much enjoyment! :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks guys. Glad that people enjoy them.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene