Revolver French Odeon release 1969 - Taxman

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Yellowwhale456

Revolver French Odeon release 1969 - Taxman

Post by Yellowwhale456 »

Just watched an interesting youtube post ( Link: about the 1969 French Revolver album on the Blue Odeon label. The presenter states that the version of Taxman on this issue has no studio chatter or count in, at all, just starts. There is also a small flap on the back cover, purpose unknown. Can anyone with this French album verify the audio is different, or why the flap is there , is this audio a rarity in the collectors realm or well known. . Cheers
jpgrcat007

Re: Revolver French Odeon release 1969 - Taxman

Post by jpgrcat007 »

If we go thru every Beatles Release worldwide, I'm sure Most LP's will have a mix different to other releases depending on which country the record was released..That's why I hope every LP, 45, & EP's, & Various tapes gets ripped at 24/96
Tex

Post by Tex »

Why would someone make video with a claim of different audio and then not play it? He's not going to get a copyright strike on the intro.
Click bait?

There's only ONE stereo master tape and all the other countries got a copy of that one tape (or from a safetey dupe). There's simply not going to be a tape with an alternate mix on it.

If there is no George at the beginning it was simply chopped off by French Odeon it doesn't require a different mix.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

According to this site, the lack of count-in has existed on the French version of Revolver since the 1966 release.
sirpaulstarling

Post by sirpaulstarling »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:29 pm Why would someone make video with a claim of different audio and then not play it? He's not going to get a copyright strike on the intro.
Click bait?

There's only ONE stereo master tape and all the other countries got a copy of that one tape (or from a safetey dupe). There's simply not going to be a tape with an alternate mix on it.

If there is no George at the beginning it was simply chopped off by French Odeon it doesn't require a different mix.
Hi there. I'm the guy in this video and I assure you I've tried to get audio samples on my channel in the past and youtube ALWAYS catches them. I hate when videos have click bait titles that don't produce the goods. The great thing is that I can (and will by the end of this week) rip side one of my LP and upload it here. Stay tuned.
Captain_Kidd

Post by Captain_Kidd »

Hi All,
I have a 70s French pressing of Revolver and can confirm that 'Taxman' has no count in. It's not a different mix but simply the count in has been trimmed off. Perhaps French EMI thought that the intro was not meant to be released when they heard the master tape. If you think about it the only other count in prior to 'Taxman' was 'I saw Her Standing There' (and that was part edited off when released by VeeJay in the US) - they probably thought that was supposed to be trimmed too. Makes for a nice variation whatever the reason! :)
The Cap'n
sirpaulstarling

Post by sirpaulstarling »

As promised, here's a needle drop of CLSO 1105 (1969 France), as shown in the video. Features Side 1 and Side 2 (AIFF 24bit/44.100 kHz) plus the front and back LP covers and the LP labels (side 1 and 2). Ortofon 2m blue stylus on a Duel 1218 record player into Kenwood KA-6100 receiver stereo out into Mobile Pre USB into Mac/Logic Pro. Not the best pressing I've ever heard, but certainly is a nice listen. Enjoy!

hxxps://we.tl/t-3919a4Pxod
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Awesome! Thank you!
Ants

Post by Ants »

Captain_Kidd wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:33 pm Hi All,
I have a 70s French pressing of Revolver and can confirm that 'Taxman' has no count in. It's not a different mix but simply the count in has been trimmed off. Perhaps French EMI thought that the intro was not meant to be released when they heard the master tape. If you think about it the only other count in prior to 'Taxman' was 'I saw Her Standing There' (and that was part edited off when released by VeeJay in the US) - they probably thought that was supposed to be trimmed too. Makes for a nice variation whatever the reason! :)
The Cap'n
Also, the ending of I Want You (She's So Heavy) was faded out in the first Italian pressing.
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

Thank You for the upload.

The mono pressing also lacks the Count-in, according to 'The Beatles Mixes' book by Holger Scholer and Thorsten Schmidt a very interesting read.

@ants they also say that the ending of I Want You (She's So Heavy) faded out in the first Italian pressing and has alternate stereo separation than the UK stereo pressing.