The Ed Sullivan Shows By Mirror Spock

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Beatles4you

Re: The Ed Sullivan Shows By Mirror Spock

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Beatles4you wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:58 pm Image
THANK YOU, Beatles4you!!!
I am intrigued by the photo above! Can you offer any description of what that is a picture of?
Is that a mirror? A monitor?? I have never seen this image before.
I realize we aren't seeing a mirror image, so why is the audience looking away from the stage? Very cool!
I think it is also pretty awesome that Sonny Liston and Joe Louis are in the audience. Sonny was featured on one episode of Ed Sullivan where he was seen jumping rope...on stage! Did the Beatles visit Cassius Clay at his gym AFTER the Ed Sullivan show? Clay had not yet fought Sonny...but, by the time Liston was on the cover of Sgt Pepper, the world of boxing had been turned upside down by their meetings in the ring!
Very strange!
I appreciate your fast reply!
Thanks, again!
KC
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

It's a mirror, one of several lining the ballroom. Looks like the image was simply flipped. They can be seen in these soundcheck and performance shots, too:

Here's another (earlier?) posed shot on the same stage set in the Deauville's Napoleon Ballroom...

...and one featuring Ed Sullivan.

BTW, the Deauville Hotel has been shuttered since 2017, and was the subject of a preservation/renovation campaign that appears to have failed.

https://mdpl.org/blog/2021/01/guest-pos ... cy-shared/

https://www.facebook.com/The-Deauville- ... 837738819/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -2017.html

There seems to have been more activity involved in the Sullivan-Miami taping than we may have realized, as the resulting photo coverage also includes apparent rehearsals elsewhere in the hotel, with the Fabs in different poolside-friendly togs.

Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

rtbcIII wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:36 pm Image
Wow! This is a Spaniard in the itinerary!
What's going on here? Does the Deauville have a Club 33, or what?
Those couldn't be the planned attire/costumes for such an exclusive! I mean, they really hauled their amps to Florida? I don't get that. Have the VOX rep deliver new ones for free! And since we were eventually going to wonder why we never see the amps on any Ed Sullivan performance, should we assume that the boom mic and the PA System(?) and the VOX amplifiers were all used in a complimentary manner to an efficient degree? That's actually believable when you look at the CBS crew. Are they from New York? They must be. They have spent big money to bring all of that equipment. Very impressive. Did Ed do shows on location very often? The scaffold to support those cameras is massive. I wish there was some photos like this from the 9th.
I can't believe I failed the flipped image test! Yikes!!
Thank you for the help!
KC
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

yymca6 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:23 pm Following your prior posting of almost anonymous Beatles on stage for the Ed Sullivan Show, this one is a gem.
Seeing Ed close by makes me think it might be the rehearsal but I may be wrong. Almost 60 years later I doubt someone could tell when the picture was taken.
Keep up your search KC you are getting [cl]ose to the whole truth, nothing but the truth.
Yves
The Truth-----> Brain Damage is what I'm looking for. I'll settle for a piece of chocolate!
My imaginary hunting dog is on point and I must say, I am curious about the Deauville Hotel and the virtual lack of nubile Beatles love!
This place shouldn't be empty and if the hotel happens to be the winter venue for the upper echelon, then THAT alone would be a good reason to not show the crowd at all! No youth??? And, Sonny Liston in the audience? That might mean many things but I think Miami was meant to let them think they were resting. I wonder if SELTAEB might have been on site.
Regardless, I appreciate your words of encouragement, Yves! Anyway, nothing is unexpected in show biz. If I'm not mistaken, The Beatles will have the top five records on Billboard's Hot 100 in a week or so. The United States have just turned right at Greenland!
Thank you!
KC
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Kwai Chang wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:52 pm
yymca6 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:23 pm Following your prior posting of almost anonymous Beatles on stage for the Ed Sullivan Show, this one is a gem.
Seeing Ed close by makes me think it might be the rehearsal but I may be wrong. Almost 60 years later I doubt someone could tell when the picture was taken.
Keep up your search KC you are getting [cl]ose to the whole truth, nothing but the truth.
Yves
The Truth-----> Brain Damage is what I'm looking for. I'll settle for a piece of chocolate!
My imaginary hunting dog is on point and I must say, I am curious about the Deauville Hotel and the virtual lack of nubile Beatles love!
This place shouldn't be empty and if the hotel happens to be the winter venue for the upper echelon, then THAT alone would be a good reason to not show the crowd at all! No youth??? And, Sonny Liston in the audience? That might mean many things but I think Miami was meant to let them think they were resting. I wonder if SELTAEB might have been on site.
Regardless, I appreciate your words of encouragement, Yves! Anyway, nothing is unexpected in show biz. If I'm not mistaken, The Beatles will have the top five records on Billboard's Hot 100 in a week or so. The United States have just turned right at Greenland!
Thank you!
KC
The Deauville was an expensive place to stay, almost the most expensive place at the time in Miami Beach. And it was mostly the choice of Beatles un-lovers, maybe haters. No kids, no teens at that time of the year I guess as it is not Spring break. And we are in 1964, remember.

So they probably add to pack the place with these kids, that's for sure.

And I don't see neither liston Cassius Clay in that hotel either, for obvious reasons in those days.
Yves
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

There's a lot of dodgy info regarding their week-long Miami stay and what happened when/where. But, as they say, pictures don't lie. They're wearing different sets of casual clothes/shoes in those stage rehearsal/soundcheck pics (some that indude Sullivan), which tends to argue they might be from different days, or at least time of day. The elsewhere-in-hotel rehearsal features yet another set of clothes/shoes. And of course the dress rehearsal we have the video of features their full stage outfits.

Note: "Elsewhere" pics have been variously ID'd as in a hotel basement (one with windows and curtains?) or from the ballroom; wherever, it's elsewhere in the hotel. Would make sense that they might rehearse "elsewhere" while the location TV set was being finalized. That would also minimize interference with hotel operations and avoid overzealous fans.

Elsewhere-in-hotel rehearsal (2/14 or 2/15?):

Stage rehearsal/soundcheck/photo-session (2/15?)

Stage rehearsal (2/15 or 2/16?)
(Note John and Paul's change of clothing)

Beatles4you

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

XLNT.

That first rehearsal featured some interesting technology - mic stands sans microphones. Surprisingly minimalist for 1964. ;)

Given how often they're captured in frame, be interesting to know what the reporter/photographer-to-Beatle ratio was during that stay. Seems like management's press philosophy there was "come on down!" Unimaginable today.
Gummo

Post by Gummo »

Those rehearsal pix are sooo cool, I just can't.

Thanks, folks!