Strawberry Fields Forever (Vee-Jay Remix)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Vee-Jay

Strawberry Fields Forever (Vee-Jay Remix)

Post by Vee-Jay »

Hey, Folks -

Although I think we can all agree that George Martin pulled off a minor miracle by merging together two takes with completely different instrumentation, tempi, and KEYS(!) to create the final edit of Strawberry Field Forever, something about the released version always bothered me. Part of it was the selected tempo, which to me makes John sound like he's in the slow-motion section of a Bugs Bunny cartoon (I'll... get... you... ra...bbit!). :lol: The other part of me felt like something was missing at the moment of the splice at "going to" about :59 into the song.

Well, here's my humble attempt at "fixing" these things. Using the 1987 Magical Mystery Tour CD as my source audio, I increased the tempo... not only to solve the slow-mo problem, but also to "brighten" the song a bit in a higher key overall.

I also discovered that the "dead spot" at the splice in the released version was due mostly to the abrupt cut-off of the legato flute part (which had been playing for several bars up until that point) and Ringo's drum fill (which was also suddenly cut off). So, I patched in a few seconds from Take 7 into the mix, which not only allowed these two instruments to keep playing another few seconds until their more natural end point, but also "thickens" the vocal track with a homemade ADT of sorts, making the transition from the original edit sound as if it were intended in the first place. The whole thing seems to have more "kick" to me now... at least to my ears. :roll:

Anywho, I hope you enjoy it. Here 'tis:

hxxps://we.tl/t-CjJWNhLDRa
alphabeatles

Re: Strawberry Fields Forever (Vee-Jay Remix)

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks VJ! Nice work. The pitch adjustment of the first part is a BIG improvement over the original and makes the splice less painful, although it's still a bit of a bump.

How about trying more of a crossfade at the splice? ie, begin the cello part early if possible as a fade-in.

OR on the R channel at the splice, do a 75-100% fade-in of the first couple of seconds of cellos. OR amplify the little section of John's vocals on the R channel going into the splice for a better volume match.

Continue the flute on the L channel past the splice. I don't hear it on your edit (I listened to isolated channels).

Finally, John's vocal needs to be brightened up and brought forward after the splice to match the first part (they get buried in the cellos). If possible!

Anyway, if you did nothing but the pitch change this would be a major improvement!

This splice, originally pulled off quite well considering 1967 technology, is worthy of more study and improvement...
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Very nice! Great so see you here as well.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

I love this!
Good to see and hear you again!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
niallquinn

Post by niallquinn »

Not listened to yet, but many thanks!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I did a similar thing when I was younger using the speed control on my turntable. I always thought the whole song was too slow. I remember first buying the song on an EP and really liking the song until about a minute in when suddenly it went all horrible. I didn't know why at the time. But that splice was a terrible idea. John Lennon said later on that it was a "stupid mistake".

It would have been cool if they'd issued take 7 as a single and then saved the fast scored version for the lp. That would have been something really new and innovative.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Cool!, Another good idea is comparing take 7 to take 4, it is slow vocally as if take 6 onward was sped up for vocal overdubs. If you slightly slow down take 26, those vocals were recorded at a slower speed then speeded up. Not unusual, since Penny Lane had overdubs done at various speeds as well. So if someone matches Lennon's vocals of both takes to the right pitch, then matches the tempos then edit them together, that'd make a different listen to as well. Now of days, you could probably get the backing tracks and isolate vocal stems and get really fancy with it, but my concept is basically how they could have done it then if they had some of the tech we have today.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

:D Hi Veejay- Enjoyed listening to your remix- and you have done a superb job IMHO 8-) Thank you for your efforts :D
ringo9

Post by ringo9 »

Having two versions and one in Pepper would have been great. I've always imagined it after ADITL. Where would you guys place it? Thanks for the remix Vee-Jay!
Vee-Jay

Post by Vee-Jay »

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the kind feedback!
alphabeatles wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:56 pm Thanks VJ! Nice work. The pitch adjustment of the first part is a BIG improvement over the original and makes the splice less painful, although it's still a bit of a bump.

How about trying more of a crossfade at the splice? ie, begin the cello part early if possible as a fade-in.

OR on the R channel at the splice, do a 75-100% fade-in of the first couple of seconds of cellos. OR amplify the little section of John's vocals on the R channel going into the splice for a better volume match.

Continue the flute on the L channel past the splice. I don't hear it on your edit (I listened to isolated channels).

Finally, John's vocal needs to be brightened up and brought forward after the splice to match the first part (they get buried in the cellos). If possible!

Anyway, if you did nothing but the pitch change this would be a major improvement!

This splice, originally pulled off quite well considering 1967 technology, is worthy of more study and improvement...
Hi, alphabeatles! I'm afraid that you think me capable of moving the world! :lol: Perhaps Lord Reith might take up that mantle...
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:07 pm Very nice! Great so see you here as well.
Rave Olucien wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:22 pm I love this!
Good to see and hear you again!
fishbeardsunset wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:14 pm :D Hi Veejay- Enjoyed listening to your remix- and you have done a superb job IMHO 8-) Thank you for your efforts :D
Thanks, gang! (I really miss that bowing smily face...) It's like old times, huh? :D
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:23 pm I did a similar thing when I was younger using the speed control on my turntable. I always thought the whole song was too slow. I remember first buying the song on an EP and really liking the song until about a minute in when suddenly it went all horrible. I didn't know why at the time. But that splice was a terrible idea. John Lennon said later on that it was a "stupid mistake".

It would have been cool if they'd issued take 7 as a single and then saved the fast scored version for the lp. That would have been something really new and innovative.
Agreed. Although they did do it about a year later with the various versions of Revolution...