Unnoticed Mixes and Variations

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Bianju

Unnoticed Mixes and Variations

Post by Bianju »

So, I was listening to Venus and Mars' much-appreciated needledrop of the Odeon "Beatles' Second Album" and noticed that the mix of Money (That's What I Want was not the standard mono version, despite the album being in general mono and seeming to use standard mixes throughout. I believe this is a fake mono mix made from the original stereo mix, which may make some sense if the source tapes are the same as Capitol's, except it seems like the rest of the album uses the standard remixes. This song has some other interesting variations, like the German "And Now... The Beatles" which has the barely-audible hi-hat count-in for the left side a fair bit more prominent (which to me at least confirms the "two mono mixes" theory for the stereo mix of this song).

Are there other uncatalogued remix variations like this? Series like 'Every Little Thing' are pretty completist, and so is the "Beatles Complete Variations" PDF (if you've had the chance to read said document). Especially since Japanese variations seem to be somewhat uncatalogued, I'm wondering if any forum members have encountered some surprising variation in their travels.
jpgrcat007

Re: Unnoticed Mixes and Variations

Post by jpgrcat007 »

I think, every nation that EMI released, there's bound to have unusual mixes

on various formats, limited editions, etc

This is why every piece of Vinyl record & Various Tapes

should be ripped at the highest level for quality
Venus and Mars

Re: Unnoticed Mixes and Variations

Post by Venus and Mars »

Bianju wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:12 pm So, I was listening to Venus and Mars' much-appreciated needledrop of the Odeon "Beatles' Second Album" and noticed that the mix of Money (That's What I Want was not the standard mono version, despite the album being in general mono and seeming to use standard mixes throughout. I believe this is a fake mono mix made from the original stereo mix, which may make some sense if the source tapes are the same as Capitol's, except it seems like the rest of the album uses the standard remixes. This song has some other interesting variations, like the German "And Now... The Beatles" which has the barely-audible hi-hat count-in for the left side a fair bit more prominent (which to me at least confirms the "two mono mixes" theory for the stereo mix of this song).

Are there other uncatalogued remix variations like this? Series like 'Every Little Thing' are pretty completist, and so is the "Beatles Complete Variations" PDF (if you've had the chance to read said document). Especially since Japanese variations seem to be somewhat uncatalogued, I'm wondering if any forum members have encountered some surprising variation in their travels.
It seemed to me that Money and others sounded a bit muffled, the first two albums, the singles sound great and dymanic, that may explain that the source is stereo, Japan has very rarely released records in Mono, they were almost always in Stereo, thanks for the info! :)