TAXMAN (+ new alt mix)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
theboxinargentina

Re: TAXMAN (Stop Saying It Can't Be Remixed mix)

Post by theboxinargentina »

theboxinargentina wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:12 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:10 am They say a picture says a thousand words, so here is a picture in sound...

https://tinyurl.com/she-will-just-be-till-17
Nice! Are you going with a more modern mastering these days?
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Have you considered remixing the Candlestick tape LR? I would personally love that one.
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Late as always, but I love it. Thanks a lot LR :D Robert
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

theboxinargentina wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:12 pm Nice! Are you going with a more modern mastering these days?
No not really the brighter sound is because it's the anthology version. The original Revolver mix is very dull sounding (meaning lacking treble, not as in boring :lol: )
Rupert Pupkin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:25 pm Could it be the first Beatles pre-Money Pink Floyd track ? I doesn't have the "Money" signature (King Crimson Ladies OfThe Road premiered it (with the sax solo, one year before Pink Floyd), but now I can imagine hearing coin or cash register on "Taxman".
There is this bombastic bass (a kind of bass, heavier and nastier than Paperback Writer), George's sarcastic voice, and these harmonies (John :mrgreen: )
such great song. And what a mean guitar solo.
The bass guitar on this track is amazing. It is really quite funny but i heard an interview with Macca in the 1980s where he was talking about where he got his melodic bass style from. And he replied "Brian Wilson!" because of pet sounds, noting how odd this was because "Brian is not really known as a bass guy". I guess he didn't realise that the bass on all those sessions was played by the amazing Carol Kaye. I love that Paul's unwitting inspiration as a bassist was a woman, and not only that but one of the few woman bass players there has been.

I hadn't thought of the Money connection, but yeah that is interesting.

There's a bit in the Twickenham sessions where Paul is singing something that goes "Ohhh yehh, ohh yeah baby blue, baby blue-ooo" and he uses a similar voice to the Taxman count-in. Can't remember where that song is but it's on the Black Album.
snrub wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:43 pm Thank you LR, I was today years old when I learned that (i.e. from you)!
Well there you go, I am of some use! :D
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Fun 4 None wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:32 pm Have you considered remixing the Candlestick tape LR? I would personally love that one.
No but I can take a look at it if you like.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:55 pm
Fun 4 None wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:32 pm Have you considered remixing the Candlestick tape LR? I would personally love that one.
No but I can take a look at it if you like.
I would love it cause it's the only 66 US tape publicly around and it's a very historically important show obviously. I'm sure you'd do a great job on it.
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:39 pm
theboxinargentina wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:12 pm Nice! Are you going with a more modern mastering these days?
No not really the brighter sound is because it's the anthology version. The original Revolver mix is very dull sounding (meaning lacking treble, not as in boring :lol: )
Yes the sound is substantially more clear on the Anthology version. So I figured it out, a setting on VLC Player / my headphones was making your mix extremely loud! It was me, not you!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

theboxinargentina wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:31 am Yes the sound is substantially more clear on the Anthology version. So I figured it out, a setting on VLC Player / my headphones was making your mix extremely loud! It was me, not you!
Ahh, I thought you meant the extra top.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

This is incredibly well-done, and a revelation. Never one to complain about anyone's work, I did note that it was kind of empty in the right until Paul came in with his solo. Was there anything else in the mix that you could have put there? And as another person pointed out, it needs more cowbell. But still, I am not complaining, because it is a much better mix than EMI gave us, and it sounds pretty freakin' incredible. Thanks for your work.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:22 am This is incredibly well-done, and a revelation. Never one to complain about anyone's work, I did note that it was kind of empty in the right until Paul came in with his solo. Was there anything else in the mix that you could have put there? And as another person pointed out, it needs more cowbell. But still, I am not complaining, because it is a much better mix than EMI gave us, and it sounds pretty freakin' incredible. Thanks for your work.
I only did it very quickly just as a demonstration so haven't listened to it since. But I could move the bass guitar a bit to the right I suppose. I'll do that later when I am at home. Glad you liked it anyway!