Garrett's Mixes

Fan created remixes and rare variations
nowhereman87

Re: Garrett's Mixes

Post by nowhereman87 »

Garret/SteakWay I'm glad to meet you again in this new forum, thanks for continuing to share your remixes!...
So among the "old glories of BootlegZone" now only csnyfan, coltturkey and dave1dmarx are missing here? Could someone contact them to let them know? ... who else is missing?? :?:
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Hey everyone, thank you very much for your warm welcoming.

Lemonhead; I am a severe procrastinator so I apologise for never finishing my Esher project. Hopefully I'll sit at my computer soon and bang the rest of them out. For now though, here is what I have finished: the first 14 tracks, with most I have also isolated the individual recorded two-tracks so you can hear each separate performance, with some leakage on the overdub tracks. Also, a DES mix of the alternate "Sour Milk Sea" on the bootleg tapes. Here is a download for all of this:

http://www.dereferer.org/?https%3A%2F%2 ... hbA1LhrwHa

Rave O Lucien; Thank you, indeed. Funny enough, today is the first day of hurricane season. Let's hope for a calm year!

EdinSc; And Your Bird Can Sing was isolated from the 5.1 Anthology DVD and then I mixed and remastered it.

"Good Morning", "Michelle", "Oh Darling", "Run For Your Life", and "Wait" were all remixed and remastered from the Rockband multitracks, in an attempt to recreate either the original four-track or more, depending on if the song utilized track-reduction.

"From Me To You" and "There's A Place" were done with with the bootleg tapes, which have a higher fidelity. I isolated drums and bass using DES spectral isolation techniques using moises.ai and iZotope RX7, and I isolated the harmonica for "There's A Place" by syncing the bootleg tape with the finished master on the 2009 CD.

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" is a DES remix, but also a remaster. The mono mix, as well as the 1963 stereo mix, have a much different EQ from any subsequent mixes every released. I tried to apply this original EQ to the 1966 stereo mix.

Anyways, here is another project I have been working on. The first side of "Help!" in it's original stereo form, remastered. My source is the recalled Canadian EMI CD which mistakenly had the original 1965 stereo mixes, instead of George Martin's '87 remix. To me, the 1965 stereo mix of this album is arguably one of the best stereo mixes the Beatles ever released, but I don't believe it's ever been presented properly in the digital domain.

This album, and especially this side, are near and dear to me as this CD, along with Past Masters 2, was the only music I had of the Beatles in my adolescence.

When I remaster songs, I usually try to keep a reference track. For these, I had two reference tracks. A rip of the 2014 mono vinyl, and The Capitol Years Vol 2. CD (2004 version). The Capitol Set is really a remarkable achievement, with fantastic mastering. Of course, they are only dubs of dubs of the master tapes, where-as the EMI Canadian CD are dubs of the LP masters (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong). The Capitol Years set is also compressed, but of course this is the analog compression applied in the 60's, so it still sounds quite good.

Enjoy!

http://www.dereferer.org/?https%3A%2F%2 ... 0FcGhIQnPP
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Garrett wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:59 am Anyways, here is another project I have been working on. The first side of "Help!" in it's original stereo form, remastered. My source is the recalled Canadian EMI CD which mistakenly had the original 1965 stereo mixes, instead of George Martin's '87 remix. To me, the 1965 stereo mix of this album is arguably one of the best stereo mixes the Beatles ever released, but I don't believe it's ever been presented properly in the digital domain.

This album, and especially this side, are near and dear to me as this CD, along with Past Masters 2, was the only music I had of the Beatles in my adolescence.

When I remaster songs, I usually try to keep a reference track. For these, I had two reference tracks. A rip of the 2014 mono vinyl, and The Capitol Years Vol 2. CD (2004 version). The Capitol Set is really a remarkable achievement, with fantastic mastering. Of course, they are only dubs of dubs of the master tapes, where-as the EMI Canadian CD are dubs of the LP masters (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong). The Capitol Years set is also compressed, but of course this is the analog compression applied in the 60's, so it still sounds quite good.

Enjoy!
There's "The Beatles Box (From Liverpool)" set (that was put out in 1980) to think about, too, which has the whole of the UK Help! LP (except for Dizzy Miss Lizzy) included: I've got the Toshiba pressing of that box set (and I think that this might have the best version of the Help! LP I've heard).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Lemonhead

Post by Lemonhead »

Hi Garrett, absolutely no need to apologise! You and others are giving your time and expertise for free, and sharing your work with the rest of us. It's great to hear some more of these wondeful Esher mixes, and also to have the overdubs on a separate track. Beautifully done. Thank you. Looking forward to hearing the others if and when you can finish them.
Ken_peps

Post by Ken_peps »

Thanks so much - fantastic remixes! I just missed the first one of your latest w/Good Morning, Good Morning, etc. Would anyone be kind enough to re-up?
Antonio218

Post by Antonio218 »

Awesome. Thanks very much Garrett