Help! new remix - 2022 (sourced from Mirror Spock)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
fishbeardsunset

Help! new remix - 2022 (sourced from Mirror Spock)

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Hi There :D It’s been a while since I uploaded anything but today here in Cyprus, it has been especially hot with temperatures in the 80° f plus degrees so I need “HELP!” :roll:
I recently downloaded the MFSL, Mirror Spock, 2005 version of HELP! that I had not heard before from here, and was curious to see how it compared with the Disque Americ version that I had remastered and was pleasantly surprised.

So decided to try and separate the tracks into stems, but it went a bit pear- shaped :oops: as this LP does not really lend itself to multimixes- so finally hit upon a compromise of sorts with a hybrid version :roll: which I have put together
I’ve not altered the mixing of the original album but beefed it up somewhat and given it a punchy feel compared to the somewhat mellow Disque Americ version..
Anyway hope you enjoy... (link good for 7 days)

hxxps://we.tl/t-wXWPuca9Ol
BTL1210

Re: Help! new remix - 2022 (sourced from Mirror Spock)

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME - Thank you fishbeardsunset
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

Thank you-can’t wait to hear this one!
jpa

Post by jpa »

Thank you very much!
beatleross

Post by beatleross »

thankyou for this one
gaizoku

Post by gaizoku »

Thank you.
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Thanks a lot fishbeardsunset, this sounds good - but the volume on the vocals differ quite a but (very good on I've Just Seen A Face and others, but somewhat too low on others like Another Girl, You're Going To Lose That Girl, Act Naturally, You Like Me Too Much, Tell Me What You See and Yesterday. Not so much too low but still a bit on Dizzy Miss Lizzy and I Need You etc) - or maybe it's just me and my ears and wishful thinking of how I hear them in my head. Thanks again :D Robert
fishbeardsunset

:D :D Hi Robert thanks for your feedback and sorry that you are experiencing certain volume discrepancies
I will try and explain what may be the problem here.

Firstly in Audacity- All files are set to -1db to avoid possible clipping /distortion

I also use Foobar as my main player and use “replaygain” to control the playback levels when burning to cd.. Sometimes there are anomalies between tracks and then these have to be manually tweaked. (before burning)

ReplayGain is … a technique invented to achieve the same perceived playback loudness of audio files. (~ Hydrogen audio Knowledgebase)

ReplayGain … allows players to normalize loudness for individual tracks or albums. This avoids the common problem of having to manually adjust volume levels between tracks when playing audio files from albums that have been mastered at different loudness levels. ~

If you’re using track gain, every song is played at 89 dB; no song is any louder than any other. If you’re using album gain, tracks will be played at 89 dB plus or minus a few dB, depending on how much louder or quieter each track is relative to the other tracks on the album. By definition, album gain is not going to make all tracks as loud as possible; the quieter tracks are going to remain that much quieter than the louder tracks, and they’ll average out to 89. (~ Hydrogen Audio)

I’ve gone back over the tracks you mention as being low and can only find “Another Girl” and “You’re Going to Lose that Girl” as being slightly down in the vocals- through my system. They were are all set to play at 89db. (ALBUM GAIN)

I was trying to boost the sound of “Johns Hohner electric Pianet piano” on a few tracks which may have resulted in some “quieter” vocals being affected- :roll: anyway, I have increased the volume levels on these two tracks by +1db and they sound ok, to my ears anyway

If you have not tried Foobar I recommend you downloading it from here : www.foobar2000.org. It might possibly be the answer you are looking for

Hope that "HELPS!"
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Thanks a lot for your thorough answer fishbeardsunset, I had only listened through the 'Quick Look' (preview) function, not via any sound program, which sometimes gives small but different sounds, I will do that next (I don't use Audacity for playback). I will also turn the volume up on my amp. But to be clear, what you've done sounds very good and I'm not complaining as I really like your work, a good choice to use Mirror Spocks remixes, so all I can say is I'm sorry if I offended you in any way with my reflections, it won't happen again. Kindly :) Robert
And sorry but I can't use foobar as I'm on Mac since 1987 at work, and at home a few years later when I bought my first Mac - the last PC I worked on had MS-DOS 3.1 (if I remember correctly) which was pre Windows. Oh, stop that rambling
EDIT - there is a Mac version but not fully functioning, just found it
fishbeardsunset

beatlesnyttigt wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:45 am Thanks a lot for your thorough answer fishbeardsunset, I had only listened through the 'Quick Look' (preview) function, not via any sound program, which sometimes gives small but different sounds, I will do that next (I don't use Audacity for playback). I will also turn the volume up on my amp. But to be clear, what you've done sounds very good and I'm not complaining as I really like your work, a good choice to use Mirror Spocks remixes, so all I can say is I'm sorry if I offended you in any way with my reflections, it won't happen again. Kindly :) Robert
And sorry but I can't use foobar as I'm on Mac since 1987 at work, and at home a few years later when I bought my first Mac - the last PC I worked on had MS-DOS 3.1 (if I remember correctly) which was pre Windows. Oh, stop that rambling
EDIT - there is a Mac version but not fully functioning, just found it
Hi Robert :D Thanks for your response and you have not offended me in the slightest, it's only through feedback such as yours that I can try and remedy any possible variations in the sound discrepancies- so no need to apologise 8-). I remember, when I started to put together the "Alternative Abbey Rd" remixes and the levels were all over the place as I could not get each track to sound more or less the same (on cd) and wasted God knows how many blank cd's, till I finally managed to get it to sound how I wanted. There's' also a difference between what I perceive to be ok through headphones and then play it through my sound system and is completely different (and can often end up getting binned! :roll:) So,I will agree that there are probably a few tracks that may need some adjustment at some point, so will consider it a "to do " project when I get time. I did not realise there was a Foobar version for Mac which is interesting to note - and I will try and find out if there are any software progs out there that will try and help me achieve a more balanced mix :D