Mirror Spock, Ebbetts and others: How do they measure up for you, now?

Fan created remixes and rare variations
RLester

Mirror Spock, Ebbetts and others: How do they measure up for you, now?

Post by RLester »

Just a question for the table. I'm thinking of how well some of the legendary remixers sound compared to recent brilliant work featured here by LR, Saxton, Hummus, etc.

Any thoughts welcome.
Lord Reith

Re: Mirror Spock, Ebbetts and others: How do they measure up for you, now?

Post by Lord Reith »

Mirror Spock confounded everybody with his mono-in-stereo mixes a long time before spectral demixing. Very clever.

Not sure I've ever heard an Ebbetts remix?
KennySaxton

Post by KennySaxton »

Dr. Ebbetts just transfered the vinyl rips. He didn't do remixes I suppose?
Words and gibberish remixed from Merriam-Webster's by Kenny Saxton
jpa

Post by jpa »

Ebbetts was accused by some for equalizing. Actually, I like his touch!
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I think the whole purpose of the Dr. Ebbetts catalog was to bring the best sounding digital versions (at that time) of the Beatles' work. While the CD's at the time of their initial release in the 80's were fairly decent, an obvious improvement over the crust, pops, and crumples of overplayed records and tapes, they weren't optimal. Plus there's the adherence to the original Parlophone titles as gospel to the exclusion of all other worldwide releases, many of which offered different versions and occasionally superior mixes.

Ebbetts, I believe, gave a rare purpose to piracy, and took virgin needle-drops into the digital realm, proving that the initial CD releases actually paled in comparison. He also included the Mono and Stereo versions of the US and UK releases, as well as releases from around the world. And since the internet means that everything is available to all, it opened whole bunches of our eyes and ears.

Once the remastered boxes were released on 09/09/09, "Dr. Ebbetts decided to put an end to his 14 year-old project. Proclaiming the remasters to be "good enough to make the Ebbetts catalogue solidly inferior,"..."

But his stuff still persists to this day. And it's darn good stuff, too.
Last edited by Ziggy C on Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

I know I've said these before but... what about Mirror Spock and pbthal needledrops?
RLester

Post by RLester »

Ah, of course, my error - I didn't mean to put him there as a remixer, but rather was inquiring about how important his needle drops are to folks now that we have work such as yours, Lord. I still have FLAC files of all of those Ebbetts releases, but seldom listen to them anymore except to compare.
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:30 am Mirror Spock confounded everybody with his mono-in-stereo mixes a long time before spectral demixing. Very clever.

Not sure I've ever heard an Ebbetts remix?
RLester

Post by RLester »

I think you're correct - absolutely, my mistake. And thanks again for your work,
KennySaxton wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:55 pm Dr. Ebbetts just transfered the vinyl rips. He didn't do remixes I suppose?
RLester

Post by RLester »

Thanks, yes, and I'm in no rush to get rid of his catalog. I'm just preferring the beautiful stuff I've found here now.
Ziggy C wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:51 pm I think the whole purpose of the Dr. Ebbetts catalog was to bring the best sounding digital versions (at that time) of the Beatles' work. While the CD's at the time of their initial release in the 80's were fairly decent, an obvious improvement over the crust, pops, and crumples of overplayed records and tapes, they weren't optimal. Plus there's the adherence to the original Parlophone titles as gospel to the exclusion of all other worldwide releases, many of which offered different versions and occasionally superior mixes.

Ebbetts, I believe, gave a rare purpose to piracy, and took virgin needle-drops into the digital realm, proving that the initial CD releases actually paled in comparison. He also included the Mono and Stereo versions of the US and UK releases, as well as releases from around the world. And since the internet means that everything is available to all, it opened whole bunches of our eyes and ears.

Once the remastered boxes were released on 09/09/09, "Dr. Ebbetts decided to put an end to his 14 year-old project. Proclaiming the remasters to be "good enough to make the Ebbetts catalogue solidly inferior,"..."

But his stuff still persists to this day. And it's darn good stuff, too.
RLester

Post by RLester »

Patrick, you may well have said it before, but I'm sorry to say I missed it, so could you say more? Thanks!
Patrick Healy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:53 pm I know I've said these before but... what about Mirror Spock and pbthal needledrops?