Instant Karma (Top Of The Pops twin track)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Kwai Chang

Re: Instant Karma (Top Of The Pops twin track)

Post by Kwai Chang »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:24 pm I believe he did at one or both of the Madison Square Garden concerts.
Thank you, Darth!
Where's my memory?
Where's my elephant?
Much appreciated.
Won-to-won.
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Anyone heard Midnight Oil's excellent cover of Instant Karma, performed live at a lunchtime concert in New York? they dedicated it to the (elephant's) memory of John which was touching.

Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

WilliamShears wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:24 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:52 pm It is bad enough when people REALLY DO post things in wrong sections. If someone posts something in a correct section it seems silly to read critical comments as if a remix doesn't belong in a remix section. If someone wants to get a yeast infection over wanting to put this in the wrtong section, why not just post a link to this post over in the John (Solo) section instead of telling Lord Reith to clutter a wrong section with it.
Totally agreed. There's grey area on some shares that could be placed in multiple locations, but it doesn't make much sense yet to split up other forums. Anything that is obviously in the wrong place gets moved without much fuss, and that's worked fine for us so far.
I agree with that. And everyone for the most part knows Lord Reith does remixes, Beatles and solo. If people think those in another section should be notified then they can freely do it, but I think everyone knows where to find the great work of Lord Reith so why should people get so anal? He himself said he debated putting it in the video section. If he himself wanted to, it's technically both. Or he himself could even post a link in the videos section to this post. I feel a web site creator has their freedom to make their site how they wish. We as members can find simple ways to best use what we are given properly and avoid criticizing. I don't mean anything harsh to those who made suggestions either. I was even being silly about it. I think the more confusing part of the site is when there are multiple posts of the exact same things by different people now and then But hey, that's worse on most sites. LOL, look at torrent sites when you get like around 100 people leaking the same tv show, etc. Right? Less than a week most those torrents end up with 0 seeders, lol.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Kwai Chang wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:07 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:24 pm I believe he did at one or both of the Madison Square Garden concerts.
Thank you, Darth!
Where's my memory?
Where's my elephant?
Much appreciated.
Won-to-won.
KC
And if you look around his rehearsal of it is on One to One rehearsal tapes too.
tdgrnwld

Post by tdgrnwld »

Thank you, LR!
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:55 am Anyone heard Midnight Oil's excellent cover of Instant Karma, performed live at a lunchtime concert in New York? they dedicated it to the (elephant's) memory of John which was touching.

Now that was very cool. My kid thought it sounded like Mick Jaggar singing with Velvet Underground. I said it's not Mick. He said, well it's not Lou Reed. I said, it's not even Velvet Underground. Moments like these just go to show sometimes we need to use headphones....
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

I remember the One-To-One rehearsal of "Instant Karma! John is commenting the dry drum by "slack! slack! slack!" (or something close) and what is very nice is near the end John is singing "Yeah, yeah, yeah!" with the same melody than "She Loves You". Which emphasize the feeling I got that the piano-intro (opening note) was borrowed from one of his Jukebox 45rps , the verse reminds me the melody-verses of "All You Need Is Love" and the chorus is a bit reminiscent of "She Loves You" yeah-yeah-yeah chorus.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Actually, the Instant Karma I love the most is from the evening One To One Concert (not the afternoon gig - that was shite) where it is very similar to Midnight Oil's take on it, but of course with John's voice.

It's on a dvd but the name of it I've forgotten. There's only about five or six songs from the evening show.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:24 am Now that was very cool. My kid thought it sounded like Mick Jaggar singing with Velvet Underground. I said it's not Mick. He said, well it's not Lou Reed. I said, it's not even Velvet Underground. Moments like these just go to show sometimes we need to use headphones....
They were a fantastic live band, utterly amazing. This video takes me back... and that is a PROPER Aussie accent, folks!

maxwilbury

Post by maxwilbury »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:14 am Here is something interesting you'll all enjoy...

As you may or may not know, when John appeared on the BBC's tv chart show Top Of The Pops in 1970, the MU restriction about performers miming was still in place. Therefore John had to add live vocals to a prerecorded backing tape.

So you've all seen the video? Yeah, of course you have. In mono.

But here is the video synched to a demixed stereo version. On the left you have the original acetate that John was miming to (thanks to the chap who gave me this... 11 years ago now so I've forgotten your name!) and on the right all the live audio that wasn't on the acetate. This includes: John's vocal with slapback echo, the distant sound of Alan White's live drumming (which has different fills to the single... watch and listen closely) and some guy in a yellow jacket banging a tambourine out of time. In fact, both Al and Yellow Guy go out of time towards the end but John (with the aid of headphones) manages to stay in synch.

One thing I love about this clip is watching Klaus Voorman's face. You can see him getting a huge amount of pleasure out of watching John perform live. It must have been extraordinary for him to be up there with John, having seen him as an unknown all those years ago on a rickety stage in Hamburg.

Enjoy!

https://tinyurl.com/expires-June-9

Image Image

(btw, this is an interlaced video... on VLC Player set the "deinterlace" option to "Yadif (2x)"

A big thank you Lord. Incredible what you are able to achieve. We are transported back on in that London BBC Studio 8.
But some guy in a yellow jacket... ?? Come on !!

BP Fallon

“Bigger than me?! That's not that hard to do, people back in my day were much shorter than they are today.”
~ Jesus on The Beatles