White Album Super Deluxe extraction mixes?

Fan created remixes and rare variations
yymca6

Re: White Album Super Deluxe extraction mixes?

Post by yymca6 »

Kwai Chang wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:02 pm
millerTEK wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:07 am yes, the multitrack presentations in many cases if you extract the channels, can reveal the actual overdub and other isolated items in their correct placement BEFORE they were mixed down to their original stereo release. This is especially notable on the white album since many of the songs were simpler and so the fewer overdubs that were recorded on available tracks were revealed when these new MULTITRACK releases came out on DVD/Bluray.
plenty of software out there that extracts each channel on a DVD or Bluray with surround music into SEPARATE WAV files.
HAVE FUN!!!! you'll be AMAZED what you can find!!!
steve
Thank you, Steve!
You are another great reason to join this forum. I would urge everyone to seek out your contributions here.
Then, they might understand that there is NOTHING finer than praise from a connoisseur!
Very nice comment!
KC
Excellent comment KC!

BTW were you in a sunshine band one day (note the small characters...)?
Yves
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Thanks for the nice comments regarding my observations and theories. With these surround mixes - it appeared logical to me that for Giles to make a GOOD surround mix, he would want to have access to and use any available material recorded on each individual track (4 tracks for 4 track recorders, and so forth). This is BEFORE the final mixing and reduction to a FINAL 2 channel STEREO master to be released.

Not an easy task. WE know Sgt Pepper was recorded on a 4 track recorder - but had so many more than 4 overdubs used. So to make track space available, mixdowns would have to be made. So some items could not be isolated if source material was not available.

Using the Recording Sessions book - and referencing days when certain SI overdubs were recorded, you can match up those overdubs on an isolated track in the surround mix. on that day if multiple overdubs were recorded - you might find those overdubs were eventually mixed down to ONE TRACK and that might explains why certain combinations of instruments are together in a specific track isolation.

Hope that makes sense, as it is so much fun to research and match up isolated channels form the surround mixes and see what follows the recording continuity documented in the book.

Honestly, as I got older and stopped clubbing on the weekends each night - (and got married), I find this is very enjoyable activity to keep busy and still have a drink at the same time! Try it! it makes your Beatles hobby so much more satisfying...LOL
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

SO regarding WILD HONEY PIE - I noticed when extracting the channels of the BLU-RAY - I mentioned EARLIER that 4 different tracks were recorded and mixed together by Paul. HOWEVER, I discovered listening to each channel I extracted and found FIVE different recordings cleanly separated and available in the surround mix of that song that are REMARKABLY different. So I researched to find more info and discovered the exact number of times Paul played this short song and kept COMBINING it with EACH previously recorded performance. See wiki's quote form Paul:

McCartney said of this song: "We were in an experimental mode, and so I said, 'Can I just make something up?' I started off with the guitar and did a multi-tracking experiment in the control room or maybe in the little room next door. It was very home-made; it wasn't a big production at all. I just made up this short piece and I multi tracked a harmony to that, and a harmony to that, and a harmony to that, and built it up sculpturally with a lot of vibrato on the [guitar] strings, really pulling the strings madly. Hence, 'Wild Honey Pie', which was a reference to the other song I had written called 'Honey Pie'."[3]

So my previous comment about Wild Honey Pie the other night was theoretically correct in what Paul was doing and how he mixed his multiple performances into one song together - however I FOUND A 5th complete recording among my 6 channel extract!

SO, I"M GOING TO GIVE YOU ALL A DOWNLOAD LINK to the 5 versions I found and was able to extract in their own isolated track. When you listen to each and note the variations, Paul's task of combining all of them makes sense.

hxxps://mega.nz/file/J1d3CbTR#yDn5GJMLP ... cJcTxGDXqY

It actually gives more significance to that crazy short song!

steve

PS -

PASS THIS AROUND:
HOW TO GET RID OF THE DECRYPTION KEY MESSAGE:

look carefully at what the FORUM POSTS for the URL links: they are XX'd AND THEY ARE ABBREVIATED ( ... ) in the URL.
right click, select COPY LINK (do not use your mouse to highlight and copy the link as that copies the ' ... ' abbreviated part.
paste the FULL URL (note the '...' goes away and you PASTED THE FULL LINK - compare it.)
replace the XX with TT in the beginning of the hyperlink. works every time.
If that doesn't work - I use FF and Edge - consider that or you have other issues not the fault of the poster. sorry.

steve
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

The 5.1 mix actually uses modern varispeed on the available performances, making them sound distinct when some are actually the same.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Intriguing - Thank you for the share....
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

csnyfan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:29 am The 5.1 mix actually uses modern varispeed on the available performances, making them sound distinct when some are actually the same.
true about varispeed when constructing a 5.1 mix using today's tech, but back in 68 during the session, Paul says he recorded several multiple and different versions of this short song with the intention of combining them into a 2 channel stereo mix (and yes, syncing them manually since no varispeed was around back then) and so - with this new source...extracting the 5.1 channels you can better isolate and clearly reveal each performance (and their significant differences) he chose to mix together to complete the song. These are definitely not similar or fooling me due to varispeed.
Download the tracks I uploaded and see. These are very unique.

But in any case, not to argue, my comments are theorized as nobody really can know the production for sure unless you have the source tapes. I'm sure there are many other interpretations by others including yourself as well. It's good to have multiple interpretations known so others can use that info draw their own conclusions too!

steve
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

csnyfan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:29 am The 5.1 mix actually uses modern varispeed on the available performances, making them sound distinct when some are actually the same.
Now, that's what I call St Johns Wood high-handedness. If this keeps up, Giles might become mayor of Hooterville! So, I thought I remembered the story that Steve is telling with a slightly different plot. I thought Paul had checked into number3 for a night of selfish egotism repair and had the idea of two recordings similar arrangements of the song, only the vocals would be sung at opposing registers in various parts of the tune. I never realized the song was so short. THAT's a tribute to the McCartney confidence. He was right. The song goes everywhere with the slightest movement of the clock. Even if you watch the clock on the wall...the second hand stops. Like the boat in the picture will move and pitch about but only if you stare at it. I'm still reeling from that spooky sound...What about Twangy strings? It sounds like a Dobro covered with surfboard wax. I thought I was hearing Robert Johnson. U-Turn...I'm back, sorry! Anyway one verse was sung high the same verse in version 2 was sung low. then the opposite for the last verse. It's not important...except I thought there was two recordings not four. And, now we have a Varispeed appied strictly to fulfill the Atmos tracks. That's as ridiculous adding echo to create the illusion. No wonder I thought Paul was partying with Robert Johnson. And, I was just kidding about the surfboard wax. It sounds like the entire instrument has 'pitch' on it. The fingers get sticky and the strings resonate like a violin bow! I only noticed that just now. I don't have surround or 7.1 etc. So are three of those slight of vari-hand? Or, is Paul McCartney out at the crossroads? I also noticed they are b,c,d,e,f and no 'a'. Okay, only 5 different versions...meaning 2 real/3 varispeed or 4 real/1 varispeed. I don't really care except that laborors aren't allowed to use power tools! Safety first.
Perhaps, REVOLVER was even more committed with ponging rigidness...NO cigar with most of the tracks. Magoocus current sessions made me think, they had great ideas...TOO MANY for the technology. And, now Giles is waiting for the get-away car to be invented. This forum is passing him by. So what! He has better outtake mixtapes in his car. Because, he's run out of separated tracks. He's only got AI and that ain't enough. So, DON'T TOUCH IT. It's their best ideas. The album is peerless. Don't touch it.
Thanks, for the 'fun'!
KC

Oh, Yves...I almost forgot. I had a band in 1975, I lived in Florida compliments of Skylab. My band was called King Crimson & The Sunshine Band!
(Cat's foot, uh-huh uh-huh Iron Claw uh-huh uh-huh)
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Both of you are wrong to some extent.

The original was recorded onto 4-track tape. During original mono & stereo mixing, the contents of the 4-track were copied to several/a different tape machine(s) to be able to (independently) varispeed only some of the tracks. The engineer had to manually manipulate the speed of the tape machine with the copy during mixing to create the varispeed effect. This meant the varispeeded tracks could be mixed with the not-varispeeded original into the mono or stereo mix.

Giles did the same and talks about the process at length in an interview. So yes, the original mix could only be approximated by using a new performance of varispeed. However, here we know that several passes of varispeed were used as the same track appears twice with different varispeed on the 5.1 mix. Tracks have been chopped up and edited and mixed into different channels for the 5.1 remix.

Here's a track layout:
1 staccato rhythm guitar, bass/kick drum, vocal a - NOT varispeeded on original stereo mix
2 syncopated tapping on guitar body, vocal b ('I love ya honey pie' at the end)
3 melody guitar, vocal c nasal harmony - normal AND heavily varispeeded on original stereo mix
4 extra guitar (leaves out some notes), vocal d falsetto harmony - differently varispeeded on ch 5 & 6 of 5.1 mix

It's possible to get the more or less clean track '2' from the 5.1 mix as well.
Last edited by csnyfan on Sun May 29, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Here's the first 2 tracks of Wild Honey Pie, panned hard left and right, no varispeed:
hxxps://we.tl/t-8WAtn1mzoM
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thanks csnyfan for your shares...