Revolver + Announcement

Fan created remixes and rare variations
BradPuett

Re: Revolver + Announcement

Post by BradPuett »

I would also like to see this re-uped please … Thank you!
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

BradPuett wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:50 am I would also like to see this re-uped please … Thank you!
ReUp-----> hxxps://we.tl/t-6ZUHSXbvoZ
Thank you, RalseiDeltarune!
KC
longoeduardo

Post by longoeduardo »

Thank you !!!!
Rosiebear

Post by Rosiebear »

Thank you !!!
gvout

Post by gvout »

Thank you.
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Many thanks Kwai and RalseiDeltarune :D Robert
Tex

Post by Tex »

I didn't want to start a new thread but just wanted to post a few comments about how I have tweaked the 2002 remixes for myself or made suitable alternate versions.

"Taxman" - The new stereo mix is wonky to me with the heavy filtering and floaty vocals. To young ears it probably sounds great but I'm not a fan. Instead of tweaking the 2022 remix (nothing really tweakable) I just ran the original 1966 stereo mix through Demucs and and my DAW to put the drums and guitar solos in the middle. Moving the guitar solo to the middle in the 2022 remix was actually a good move. Demucs did a really good job separating the elements especially the guitar solo from the tambourine and I didn't have to pay Peter Jackson a Hobbit's fortune.

Eleanor Rigby - The 2022 remix is a keeper. No wonkiness or massive remix goofs or at least nothing to really bitch about.

"Love You To" - No opinion except it SHOULD have been longer like the mono mix. Need more listening.

"Here, There and Everywhere" - Ran it through Demucs and my DAW to greatly reduce the vocals which were too dang loud.

"Yellow Submarine" - I already have a good home-brew remix with music and lead vocals dead center and FX and backing vocals in wide stereo. I had to cobble together 4 different mixes/sources but it works. The 2022 remix is a step backward.

"She Said She Said" - Ran it through Demucs and my DAW to bring up the drums and boost the mid-range to make it sound a bit more like the 1987 CD. They totally wrecked the original stereo mix on the 2009 remaster. This song is supposed to sound GRITTY. The crash cymbals have definitely been neutered deliberately. I used to say this track was proto-grunge but I can't say that anymore. The 2022 version sounds like "ice cream" as John would say. WHY Giles?

"Good Day Sunshine" - Lord Reith's spectral remix is fine.

"And You Bird Can Sing" - I don't like the cloudy narrowed vocals on the 2022 remix. Instead, I ran the 2009 remaster through Demucs to get a decent drum track isolation and used that to nudge the drums to the middle and keep the wide stereo (ADT) vocal effect. The result is a PERFECT mix. By "nudge" I mean I added the isolated drum track into the right channel at a certain level which gives the effect of pulling the drums to the middle. This additive method also raises the drums level a few decibels which was needed. The guitars and vocals remain exactly how they should be.

"For No One" - Ran it through Demucs and my DAW to reduce the vocals and bring up the bass guitar (which was way too quiet) and the drums. Sounds awesome. The "Anthology" video remix was also great but did not have the drums seperated.

"Dr Robert" - Same as "And You Bird Can Sing".

"I Want To Tell You" - The 2022 remix is a revelation. Keeper.

"Got To Get You Into My Life" - I'm not able to hear this accurately since my vintage EQ/amp is having sound issues (likely bad capacitors) but it sounds very shrill compared to what I had before. I need to hear this on a good setup. The original horns track were indeed recorded in "stereo" or at least as two distinct tracks but on the 2022 remix it still sounds like they added a layer of ADT to smear them across the sound-stage. The drums still sound weak.

"Tomorrow Never Knows" - The original 1966 stereo mix is perfect anything else only pales in comparison. Now I DID slightly remix the original stereo mix years ago but only to very slightly reduce John's 2nd vocal isolated in the right speaker. Digitally de-mixing a drums track into individual crash cymbal, ride cymbal, toms, snare and kick drum tracks only reduces the impact of the original recording in my opinion. They think they are clever but it's a bridge too far for me.

My overall complaint about the 2022 remixes is that they sound like they digitally compressed the individual tracks of the 4-track BEFORE doing they even did the new stereo mixes. This gives everything a fake loudness or punch. When elements hit you in the face at full volume and all frequencies pumping that tells you it's been digitally compressed even more. This would be part of their "restoration" process. An obvious example would be what they did for the "Help!" DVD stereo mixes.

I realize Geoff Emerick compressed the crap out of the tracks while they were being recorded (using analog compressors) but there was no need to add more I don't think. Over the years we've heard bits and pieces of the raw sessions tracks in video presentations and the sound is huge and dynamic to start with.

Overall the 2022 remix is only passable for me but will probably be the "go to" version for younger and never fans.
BradPuett

Post by BradPuett »

Kwai Chang wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:50 am
BradPuett wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:50 am I would also like to see this re-uped please … Thank you!
ReUp-----> hxxps://we.tl/t-6ZUHSXbvoZ
Thank you, RalseiDeltarune!
KC
Thank you, Kwai Chang!
Tex

Post by Tex »

I've been tinkering with the And You Bird Can Sing (take 5).

So far I've panned the drums (demucs-extracted) more to the middle as that makes more sense.

This recording is so bass heavy and mid-range weak its needs a TON of help. I assume it was just recorded that way and that's why Lewisohn described it as "heavy". He's a peerless researcher and good writer but a terrible musical and technical analyst. I'm still waiting to hear the "heavy metal" version of Tomorrow Never Knows :lol:

My sound "improvement" so far is a hefty 6 decibel boost at the 2700 hz mark which is one of EMI's vintage EQ's and what they would have used had they chose to release this take. Also 3 decibels at 10,000 hz which is another EMI vintage EQ. Unfortunately I don't know how broad these EQ bumps should be.

Here's just the drums, bass and guitar if such things excite you. (new file with cymbal dropout fixed)
hxxps://we.tl/t-ymbXTczZv7

I'm curious if anyone else has worked on this and what they did.