EVOLVER

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Re: EVOLVER (Mirror Mirror + Now And Then)

Post by Lord Reith »

I've heard the guitar based GOWM yes. Not sure I would use it but it could be interesting to add guitar to a piano demo and just keep John's singing. In fact I think I would be better doing a full blown studio version because John's simple piano demo is so nice. Can't imagine getting it any better than that.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
studio2

Post by studio2 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:37 am I've heard the guitar based GOWM yes. Not sure I would use it but it could be interesting to add guitar to a piano demo and just keep John's singing. In fact I think I would be better doing a full blown studio version because John's simple piano demo is so nice. Can't imagine getting it any better than that.
The others have been so thoughtfully done and treated with a gentleness and lightest of touches. Your approach is similar to the way a restorer of fine art approaches their work.

Now and then, is beautiful and I even catch myself humming at times. Patiently waiting for GOWM.

Thank you so, so much.
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:37 am I've heard the guitar based GOWM yes. Not sure I would use it but it could be interesting to add guitar to a piano demo and just keep John's singing. In fact I think I would be better doing a full blown studio version because John's simple piano demo is so nice. Can't imagine getting it any better than that.
Of course either acoustic guitar or single-tracked vocal/piano would be nice. I specifically mentioned the guitar version thinking it would be easier to work with. That "Dakota" piano can be rather grating to my ears. I also think the guitar vocal is a bit clearer and more Beatlesque. No matter what you choose to do, or not do... the versions you've updated and augmented will always be on my go-to play list. Thanks again, Ron
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks guys. Between the piano and guitar demos there are three John vocals. I'm interested to see what I could do with this song.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
El_Garnatí

Post by El_Garnatí »

It would be great with GOWM Lord.
One idea: Could something similar work on John's demo of "Mucho Mungo" to do something similar to this song?
I think it's a great song that later turned out pretty bad on Harry Nilsson's album.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

John re-recorded at the Dakota "Mucho Mungo" (with Sean in the background playing).
Now the source (from tape) is complete (on the last His Master's Choice 2020 "Unfinished") with the second extra coda-middle-8 missing from the LLTs (and the Between The Lines set) with some lyrics, obviously dedicated to Sean, whereas the first batch of demos (I believe 3 acoustic take of home demos were around) which precedes "Pussy Cats" studio sessions could let us believe that "sweet thing" was May Pang.
It also turned out that the sound quality of the Dakota demo is now better than the 3 acoustic demos from 1974.
I believe that John probably removed the coda-middle-8 of "Muncho Mungo" in favor of Mt.Elga (as suggested Harry Nilsson) as we can hear when John is presenting and playing this song to Harry because of "I Saw The Light" by Todd Rundgren. There is nothing in the discussion between John and Harry about some simlarities to "I Saw The Light" from the studio sessions I've heard. And I can't spot, despite the first notes of the middle-8 which reminds "I Saw The Light" a little bit something like a plagiary; it's a bit reminiscent, but just the beginning of the middle-8; and the melody of the verses is totally different.

It's also interesting that at the Dakota, several years after the release of "Pussy Cats" (which is an album I've always loved : Save The Last Dance For Me is superb, and Black Sails is a magnificent haunting song) John even covered again "Many Rivers To Cross" on guitar + rhythm box, keeping the same tempo and arrangement than the one he produced for Harry (with a superb string arrangement (he kind of "recycled" - he admitted that on the radio) for #9 Dream.
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

I recently - ok, about a year ago now - produced a version of GOWM using John's piano demo, added a few strings, bass and a few other parts (I even imitated a George solo from one of his solo songs).

It worked out pretty well I thought. If anyone fancies a listen I can post up a link sometime.

AiTE
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

I fancy a listen. You might want to start a new thread so it doesn't get mixed in with Lord Reith's productions.
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
El_Garnatí

Post by El_Garnatí »

AndInTheEnd wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 pm I recently - ok, about a year ago now - produced a version of GOWM using John's piano demo, added a few strings, bass and a few other parts (I even imitated a George solo from one of his solo songs).

It worked out pretty well I thought. If anyone fancies a listen I can post up a link sometime.

AiTE
Of course. Please.
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

Hi guys

Ok. I have just sent a copy to our Good Lord to see what he thinks of it.

It was (a) very quickly knocked together early last year, and (b) isn't the greatest fidelity (I tried to keep it not too different to John's demo..), but if he can rest my nerves about sharing it, then I'll whack up a link!!

AiTE