Re: EVOLVER (Can't Buy Me Love)

Post by powerPC »

Thank you LR!! 8-)
—Keith
rfwood1

Re: EVOLVER (Can't Buy Me Love)

Post by rfwood1 »

Lord:

You continue to amaze. Thanks so much for generously sharing your expertise with us.
Lord Reith

Re: EVOLVER (Money)

Post by Lord Reith »

Okay, in anticipation of Thursday's grand unveiling of Money and Till there Was You, here is a stereo mix of Money from the mono With the Beatles.

Now, there are notable differences between the mono and stereo mixes as fans have always known: the piano part is a different take, the drums come in later, and there are clacking drumsticks at various points. But while demixing this I found other interesting details which shed some light on how it was recorded.

This demix has the same stereo picture as the stereo album version: voices and George's guitar in the centre, drums and bass on the left, John's guitar very slightly to the left and piano on the right. The piano here however is a different overdub to the one on the stereo lp, and it also has clacking drumsticks and clapping which can be heard through the entire instrumental introduction, during the middle solo section and at a few other odd moments. It was while listening to this that I thought I had something wrong... if they were clapping and clacking on the right channel piano overdub then the other claps in the centre vocal channel shouldn't be there, right? wrong. I found that both sets of handclaps are present on the mono mix. But wait, there's more! While isolating the vocals from the instruments I also found much to my surprise that there is a third harmony part on the "that's what I want" response vocals from Paul and George. Now John was busy singing the lead and couldn't sing two things at once, so this extra harmony had to be overdubbed while they were also adding the clapping to the vocal track. They then added the piano and for the take used on the mono lp, also added more clapping and drumsticks.

So the recording sequence would be:

- live take with everyone in their regular roles as in the BBC versions

- an overdub onto the vocal track of an extra harmony below George's part on the "that's what I want" backing vocals and some handclaps during the solo

- a piano overdub onto this new version, with clacking drumsticks and more handclaps (used for the mono lp)

- an alternate piano overdub, with no extra sounds (used for the stereo lp)

Anyway, blah blah blah, here it is. Enjoy! https://tinyurl.com/expires-June-6th :ugeek:

(This zip also includes changes to two other songs: Oh Darling I've ditched some vocal reverb I added, preferring to keep it authentic; and Strawberry Fields take 6 with mellotron with the overly loud ending tidied up).
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Re: EVOLVER (Can't Buy Me Love, Money + new re-up)

Post by Lord Reith »

I've also made a new link with all 18 tracks so far: https://tinyurl.com/expires-june-6
Applejam101

Post by Applejam101 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:52 am I've also made a new link with all 18 tracks so far: https://tinyurl.com/expires-june-6
Thanks Mo! (Looks closer at avatar…errr LR)
James carlane3

Post by James carlane3 »

Thanks!!!
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Thank you very much, Lord Reith.
ringo9

Post by ringo9 »

Wow. Still amazed at your knoledge. How I wish I had a musical ear to separate the harmonies. Please keep writing and explaning your work. Anyway I wanted to ask you. Do you tihink this demixing software will evolve to the point of being able to delete shouts and claps from audience recordings of gigs? That would be something!
studio2

Post by studio2 »

Hats off to LR. This whole evolver series has been amazing and more importantly turned 50+ tunes into sounding like they were recorded yesterday.
Can't wait for the next incarnation of Abracadabra. Just a thought with the recement 50 years of RAM and a mono version available....are you not tempted..... Thanks again for your mind boggling mixes, amazeballs...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ringo9 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 pm Wow. Still amazed at your knoledge. How I wish I had a musical ear to separate the harmonies. Please keep writing and explaning your work. Anyway I wanted to ask you. Do you tihink this demixing software will evolve to the point of being able to delete shouts and claps from audience recordings of gigs? That would be something!
The extra harmony line is very subtle on Money. But it adds texture to those backing vocals that is not present on other versions, makes them more Motown. It was only after stripping away all the backing that I heard it, and it really blindsided me. I thought I knew every second of these tracks backwards. But it also helps cast some light on Lewisohn's slightly confusing detailing of the overdubs. They couldn't have overdubbed the clapping/vocals at the same time as the piano, because the stereo and mono mix have different piano but the same extra vocals/clapping. Also it seems they were on hand to add more percussion for the mono mix but not for the stereo.

I've not done any live demixes. It could be interesting though.
studio2 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:28 pm Hats off to LR. This whole evolver series has been amazing and more importantly turned 50+ tunes into sounding like they were recorded yesterday.
Can't wait for the next incarnation of Abracadabra. Just a thought with the recement 50 years of RAM and a mono version available....are you not tempted..... Thanks again for your mind boggling mixes, amazeballs...
Oh no! I can barely keep up with all the group stuff I'd like to do! You should see my "to-do" list! :lol: