Disque Americ Revolver

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Re: Disque Americ Revolver

Post by Lord Reith »

r9453 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:24 pm "The first four albums from 87 are lousy."
I was sorry to read that. For no other than sentimental reasons I'm fond of the 1987 CDs. By 1987 I was mainly listening to my own cassette dubs of the (stereo) LPs. When the CDs came out it was very exciting.

I thought it was a bit strange that the first four were in mono but back then I had never heard the mono albums. So that was cool 8-) which has added to my fond regard. Admittedly, in the early 2000s when I had the chance I made digital copies of my stereo LPs and burned them to CDR. By 2009 I was busy with family and work so I didn't get the mono re-issues until recently.
Well, the Disque Americ versions of AHDN and WTB seem like better transfers to me than the originals, but they are still not as good as the 2009 monos.

However I am not entirely happy with the 2009 mono albums either. The eq is often different to the mono vinyl, sometimes markedly so.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lbrow65

Post by Lbrow65 »

I am embarrassed to say that I have missed the Disque Americ Revolver share. I tried it on 23 June but it said it was already expired. Could be because I am in OZ and on the other side of the world. If some kind soul could reupload the disc it would be much appreciated.

A big thanks to yymca6 for providing a link.
Last edited by Lbrow65 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Lbrow65 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:44 pm I am embarrassed to say that I have missed the Disque Americ Revolver share. I tried it on 23 June but it said it was already expired. Could be because I am in OZ and on the other side of the world. If some kind soul could reupload the disc it would be much appreciated.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Yves
AnitaZ

Post by AnitaZ »

Thank you for the fresh link.
Anita.
magoocus

Post by magoocus »

Two of those first four '87 mono cds are out of phase, which might be one reason for their lousiness. AHDN is especially bad.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

magoocus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:04 pm Two of those first four '87 mono cds are out of phase, which might be one reason for their lousiness. AHDN is especially bad.
I will have access to this Revolver edition (plus TWA) sometimes this weekend and will rip it next week. I'll post the result and you can compare with previous uploads.
Yves
micktanner

Post by micktanner »

michael_charles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:29 am
20YearsAgo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:06 am
michael_charles wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:16 pm

20yearsgo, Sorry for the question are you saying go there for my post as the WA Disque Americ has not been posted on this site, nor in that thread, from my knowledge.

Thanks,

Michael
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=544&p=7474#p7474
Ok, I give up. I know Revolver is there but I do not see the White Album (WA)

Thanks
Michael...if you are still interested it is still here:
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

From the original 1987 cds,I have SPLHCB through Abbey Road.
I bought them back in 1989.
I always thought SPLHCB sounded the best.
I have never heard PPM through Revolver,and I read someplace years ago that it was PPM and WTB
that was in Mono,and now I just read that the first four 1987 UK CDS are the UK Mono Mix.
Mike
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:28 pm From the original 1987 cds,I have SPLHCB through Abbey Road.
I bought them back in 1989.
I always thought SPLHCB sounded the best.
I have never heard PPM through Revolver,and I read someplace years ago that it was PPM and WTB
that was in Mono,and now I just read that the first four 1987 UK CDS are the UK Mono Mix.
Mike
The first four were in mono, the next two were 1987 remixes, then in 1990 Disque Americ had to make new glass masters and so Capitol needed to access the tapes again, at which point they were sent different tapes of Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, A Hard Day's Night and With The Beatles.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
paul62

Post by paul62 »

magoocus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:04 pm Two of those first four '87 mono cds are out of phase, which might be one reason for their lousiness. AHDN is especially bad.
Just shared this over at my board (hey, magoocus, you're welcome to join if you wish: just send me a PM if you are interested):

I did a quick check of the first track from each of the four mono '87 CDs: three were 100% in phase and one was a tiny bit out of phase: if the track is 1.00 at the bottom (to the right of the multi-coloured strip), then it is in phase (especially if it is 1.00 for the whole duration of the track).

A track 97% or 98% in phase is only a sample or two away from being 100% in phase (in Audacity, the track can be split and samples inserted on one channel, at the front end: this is a time-consuming "trial and error" method).

Another way (which avoids the issue of phase differences between channels) is to split the dual mono tracks and make a single mono track from each channel (something which I've done and which I've talked about here, before).

Besides all of what I've written above, being not quite 100% in phase doesn't make a mono track bad or less enjoyable to listen to.

A Beatles fan, stuck on a desert island with nothing but the '87 CDs and a boombox to listen to, still has a fine collection to scratch the Beatles itch with!!

"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!