Disque Americ Revolver

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Disque Americ Revolver

Post by Lord Reith »

Anyone got a Canadian disc of Revolver pressed by either Disque Americ, or Cinram?

This is different from the standard 1987 cd in that there are no early digital fades and you can hear the tape hiss between tracks. Also the gaps between songs aren't shortened.

Disque Americ got sent some erroneous tapes by Capitol when Canada decided to start pressing its own cds in 1990. Cinram ended up with the same tape when they started pressing it too in 1995.

Don't upload it here if you have it... just let us know!

Here for interest's sake is the tape for Rubber Soul that was sent to Discque Americ in 1990. As we know, they famously sent Mike Jarrett's remaster of the original stereo mixes of RS and Help instead of the 1986 Martin mixes.

1.jpg
1.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (176.65 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
Last edited by Lord Reith on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lemonhead

Re: Disque Americ Revolver

Post by Lemonhead »

First-time poster but long-time follower of the old site. It's wonderful to see this new site up and running.

Lord Reith, thank you for all the great work you do. I just wanted to check if you meant 'Rubber Soul' and not 'Revolver', as the images are for Rubber Soul. On my hard disk I have a copy of a CDR I received in the snail-mail days which purports to be 'The Beatles - Rubber Soul (Disque Americ/Cinram)" and has the same track listing as in the images you posted.

My archived copy is in 'Sd2f' format (an obsolete Mac format), but I could extract the audio.
walrus gumboot

Post by walrus gumboot »

The pics are for Rubber Soul ....so is it definitely Revolver that you're looking for ?
Track06

Post by Track06 »

To me, they could be Volume One and Volume Two.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

LR, I have located Rubber Soul, Help! and Sgt. Pepper from the same label on Soulseek. I have them on hand.
Last edited by alphabeatles on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

I recently picked up the Disque Americ Revolver. The fades are not digital fades, they fade naturally to tape hiss unlike the common 1987 CD's that have quicker fades. Plus on a track like "I Want To Tell You" you hear clearly the first guitar notes while on the common 1987 CD the fade in is a little late on that intro.
One correction on Lord Reith's post, the tape hiss does not continue between tracks. This is the case on "Help" and "Rubber Soul" as well as "Revolver". I just did a quick check on all 3 to be sure.
Chicagofanforever 5+

I have to post a correction on my previous post. After a closer listen and turning up the volume I noticed it does not go to total silence between tracks. The tape hiss fades to a lower level but not completely, so I'm in total agreement with Lord Reith's previous post.
I also checked "Help" & "Rubber Soul" and they are all the same. Happy hunting to everyone!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Lemonhead wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:35 pm Lord Reith, thank you for all the great work you do. I just wanted to check if you meant 'Rubber Soul' and not 'Revolver', as the images are for Rubber Soul
Oh yes I mean Revolver though I see how the RS documents I posted might cause confusion. I just posted them because I think they're interesting and maybe some people haven't seen them (on the Hoffman forum).
Track06 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:30 pm To me, they could be Volume One and Volume Two.
Ha ha! :lol: Thanks George.
Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm I recently picked up the Disque Americ Revolver. The fades are not digital fades, they fade naturally to tape hiss unlike the common 1987 CD's that have quicker fades. Plus on a track like "I Want To Tell You" you hear clearly the first guitar notes while on the common 1987 CD the fade in is a little late on that intro.After a closer listen and turning up the volume I noticed it does not go to total silence between tracks. The tape hiss fades to a lower level but not completely, so I'm in total agreement with Lord Reith's previous post.
Wow, how much did you pay? I've only heard the end of Taxman and then the start of Eleanor Rigby but what I heard is the original full fade of Taxman dissolving into pure tape hiss, and then a drop in hiss as you say which is probably the leader tape in between tracks. Analogue electronics do produce faint hiss so this accounts for the remaining noise.

Yesterday I checked Beatles For Sale and when you invert the Discqu Americ version and mix it with the Capitol version you get total silence. So that one is clearly the same. But Doug says that the first two albums don't synch, which can only mean a different analogue transfer. Did they do it twice?!
alphabeatles wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:04 pm LR, I have located Sgt. Pepper from the same label
I haven't heard anything about that one but it's worth checking out!
Chicagofanforever 5+

I was very lucky. I check e-bay once in a while and happened to find one for $12.00. Very Lucky!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 am I was very lucky. I check e-bay once in a while and happened to find one for $12.00. Very Lucky!
I've heard that in the past few days they've gone up to around $50.