Disque Americ Revolver

Fan created remixes and rare variations
20YearsAgo

Re: Disque Americ Revolver

Post by 20YearsAgo »

michael_charles wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:16 pm
20YearsAgo wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:39 pm
michael_charles wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 pm I've never been able to get my hands on the White album Disque Americ, still searching.

MIchael
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=544&p=7474#p7474
20yearsgo, Sorry for the question are you saying go there for my post as the WA Disque Americ has not been posted on this site, nor in that thread, from my knowledge.

Thanks,

Michael
bonniegreg

Post by bonniegreg »

I don't think the Disque Americ White Album has been posted. The post of Revolver is terrific, though. Thank you!
michael_charles

Post by michael_charles »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:06 am
michael_charles wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:16 pm
20YearsAgo wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:39 pm

20yearsgo, Sorry for the question are you saying go there for my post as the WA Disque Americ has not been posted on this site, nor in that thread, from my knowledge.

Thanks,

Michael
Ok, I give up. I know Revolver is there but I do not see the White Album (WA)

Thanks
paul62

Re: Disque Americ SPLHCB

Post by paul62 »

Just downloaded the Disque Americ version of SPLHCB via a torrent I've found: here's a blown up snapshot of the centre of the disc/disque:

Here's a snapshot of the EAC log of my '87 CD next to the EAC log of the DA version: obvious differences in the indexing:

Here's two snapshots, each showing the left channel of SPLHCB/WALHFMF: the DA version is on the top and my '87 CD is underneath.
Note that there is a volume difference (0.614 dB) between the two versions for the same segment of the same channel of WALHFMF.
Note that there are differences in the shape of the waveform (compare the bottoms of the two waveforms for SPLHCB, directly above the letter A in the word Amplify, to see what I'm talking about).

There's very subtle differences in the EQ of one compared to the other: first snapshot below shows what needs to be done to the left channel of the DA version of WALHFMF to make it closer to the left channel of the regular '87 CD version of WALHFMF. Once this is done, the volume difference between the two segments under review becomes a lot smaller (0.032 dB), as we can see in the second snapshot below.

(This isn't an exhaustive comparative analysis of both versions of the CD, by any stretch of the imagination. Assuming all of the tracks follow this pattern, though, I don't think the subtle volume/EQ differences would be noticeable enough to most people (not even to Brian Wilson in his prime years!!) to make anybody choose one version over the other).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

powerPC wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:50 pm LR (or anyone), I have a question about Abbey Road (toshiba) which PROBABLY belongs in a new thread... If so, I'll be glad to create a thread for that. But you mentioned de-emphasis applied; I remember when I got mine, it was already in FLAC format with no mention of de-emphasis applied to it or not. I do recall reading (or hearing) that the de-emphasis was automatically applied by some CD players when playing back the CD itself? I may have misunderstood all that discussion going on, but my question to you is would it be possible to make the FLAC files to include the de-emphasis? (it's all greek to me, any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!)
The earliest cds had treble pre-emphasis encoded into them which was meant to be reversed by the player. After a while they abandoned this and players no longer did de-emphasis. This meant that when fans in the 90s started comparing the old cd to the 87, it sounded far brighter and they mistakenly attributed this to superior mastering. In fact, once properly de-emphasised it sounds much the same as the lp or 87 cd. However it is completely unprocessed, so is worth getting for that reason because the other cds have early fades.

I'm going to post an Abbey Road "shoot-out" of five different versions of Come Together. Let your ears be the judge.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Following on from my earlier post, I lined up the left channel of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds from the regular '87 CD to the left channel from the Disque Americ version. Zoomed in, drilled down to the granular level to see the samples and get the two versions lined up: one of these then became a right channel in a two channel mono file -

I then pulled out everything that was common to both -

and was left with a vestigial amount (which can then be amplified to make another version with good sound quality) -

The tracks on the first four mono CDs have a slight EQ/volume difference between the left and right channels: pulling out everything that's common to both channels leaves a vestigial amount (which can be amplified to make another mono track with good sound quality).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

ringo9 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:29 pm For what is worth these are the Canadian cds available at rhe russplace

Beatles For Sale (1989 Canada, Parlophone Canada C2 46438, Disque Americ)
Help! (199... Canada, Parlophone C2 46439, Disque Americ) Original Mix
Rubber Soul (198... Canada, Parlophone C2 46440, Disque Americ) Original Mix
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1989 Canada, Parlophone C2 46442, Disque Americ)

Let It Be (1995 Canada, EMI Canada C2 07777 46447 2 3, Cinram)
Do you have links for these?
Yves
Albert Grove

Post by Albert Grove »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:43 am Once again here is my own "best of" list of Beatles cds:

PPM thru BFS: 2009
HELP: Disque Americ 1990
RUBBER SOUL: 2009 mono bonus disc
REVOLVER: Disque Americ 1990
PEPPER, MMT, YS: 1987
WHITE ALBUM: 30th Anniversary Version 1998
LET IT BE: 1987
ABBEY ROAD: Toshiba 1983 (with de-emphasis applied)
PAST MASTERS: 1988
SINGLES: 1989
Thanks! Could you also list what are according to you the best sounding mono cd's?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Albert Grove wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:35 am Thanks! Could you also list what are according to you the best sounding mono cd's?
Well I like all the 2009 monos but prefer the singles from 1989 to Mono Masters because they are closer to the original eq of the vinyl singles, especially some tracks in particular like I'll Get You and All You Need Is Love, where the 2009 monos sound nothing like the vinyl singles.

The first four albums from 87 are lousy.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
r9453

Post by r9453 »

"The first four albums from 87 are lousy."
I was sorry to read that. For no other than sentimental reasons I'm fond of the 1987 CDs. By 1987 I was mainly listening to my own cassette dubs of the (stereo) LPs. When the CDs came out it was very exciting.

I thought it was a bit strange that the first four were in mono but back then I had never heard the mono albums. So that was cool 8-) which has added to my fond regard. Admittedly, in the early 2000s when I had the chance I made digital copies of my stereo LPs and burned them to CDR. By 2009 I was busy with family and work so I didn't get the mono re-issues until recently.
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud