Abracadabra Vol. 5 (Help!)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Josh

Abracadabra Vol. 5 (Help!)

Post by Josh »

This one's for Lord Reith- Any updates on Abracadabra Vol 5? I can't wait to hear it. Thanks! :D
Lord Reith

Re: Abracadabra Vol. 5 (Help!)

Post by Lord Reith »

Josh wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:04 am This one's for Lord Reith- Any updates on Abracadabra Vol 5? I can't wait to hear it. Thanks! :D
It's finished and will be part of the complete set.

Currently I'm halfway through Vol.9, and then after that I will fix up some other loose ends and share the whole thing. :ugeek:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
rhino

Post by rhino »

Looking forward to it. Thanks Lord Reith !
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Wonderful news!!
James carlane3

Post by James carlane3 »

Great News!!!!!
Tex

Post by Tex »

Help! is on the way...

The production and sound quality on that album was kinda mushy/soft and I can understand why it is more difficult to do separations of the backing tracks. The bass guitar is so ill-defined and indistinct on many tracks. This must be where Norman Smith started to not care anymore about their sound. The previous album (BFS) is high fidelity by comparison.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:33 am Help! is on the way...

The production and sound quality on that album was kinda mushy/soft and I can understand why it is more difficult to do separations of the backing tracks. The bass guitar is so ill-defined and indistinct on many tracks. This must be where Norman Smith started to not care anymore about their sound. The previous album (BFS) is high fidelity by comparison.
To me the big problem came with them recording the backing first and then adding the vocals later. When you have a live vocal, there is a lot of ambient noise that leaks onto the vocal microphone from the instruments, and this adds liveliness to a mix. In the stereo mix of the Help! album, the thing that strikes you most is that this extra ambience is no longer there, and the vocals appear to "float" ethereally above the music. They seem to have tried to get around this by adding a lot of reverb to the vocals on some tracks, but in my opinion it only made it worse. The mono mix of the lp is nicer because it sounds more coherent and there's not so much reverb. That is the sound I tried to capture with the new stereo remix. But really the songs and vocal arrangements are lightyears away from Rubber Soul which was only a few months away. I think they were probably at crisis point during the Help sessions, not really sure of their future. The music tends to reflect this. They sound a bit lost and unsure of themselves.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Josh

Post by Josh »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 am
Josh wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:04 am This one's for Lord Reith- Any updates on Abracadabra Vol 5? I can't wait to hear it. Thanks! :D

Currently I'm halfway through Vol.9, and then after that I will fix up some other loose ends and share the whole thing. :ugeek:
Fantastic, LR! Thank you for the update. I didn't realize that it was such a pain to complete.
Ernesto

Post by Ernesto »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 am

Can't wait for it! Love your work!
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

Never understood the criticism of Help. it's a top 5 Beatles album for me. Only a couple of duffers - Act Naturally and Dizzy Miss Lizzy.

Nice to see actor Derek Nimmo has joined the forum.