re:(RAM: Paul McCartney) - phase corrected version-NEW UPLOAD 29-5-22 remix

Fan created remixes and rare variations
fishbeardsunset

re:(RAM: Paul McCartney) - phase corrected version-NEW UPLOAD 29-5-22 remix

Post by fishbeardsunset »

:D Updated new re-up link
Hi Everyone. Someone was recently asking whether a remix had been made of this album. As you may be aware, The "Ram" album has always been out-of-phase- and so I recently I managed to acquire "stems" which I was informed had come from the Hoffman DCC version, to enable a remix of this album, (albeit not 5.1 surround files as I'm not sure they exist as yet)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway I hope you enjoy 8-)

NEW Link good till 5.6.22
hxxps://we.tl/t-0pKMFBHLMP
Last edited by fishbeardsunset on Sun May 29, 2022 7:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
D-listener

Re: Ram - Paul McCartney- (phase corrected version) new remix

Post by D-listener »

Thank you-can't wait to hear you remix.

Question on out of phase comments. Did anyone who remastered this fix the out of phase so famous on the lp? You would think Hoffman would have. Or would they have to go to multi master tape...Thank you!
fishbeardsunset

Hi there - I acquired the "multitrack stems" from a chap who said the source material he used was from the 2011 version- that's all I know
I obviously did a bit of tweaking here and there to get the sound that I was happy with
Hope that helps 8-)

PAUL & LINDA McCARTNEY
RAM
Pitch and phase corrected from the CD on DCC GZS-1037
Remasters Workshop
RMW 756

The Ram album has always been out-of-phase. It is unclear at what stage this happened - either the finished
mixes were played on a machine that had misaligned playback azimuth and copied onto a machine that was
true, or the finished mixes were played on a machine that was true into a machine whose record azimuth
misaligned. When it's been mastered by EMI or MPL or DCC, they've each used the same tape, which has
the same phase issues. The only way to get a better-sounding Ram album would be to go back to the
master mixes of each track and recompile it from scratch. Short of that happening, phase correction can
be applied in Adobe Audition 3, which is what we have done for this edition. It makes an audible improvement.

In the uncorrected version, the sound is brighter in the left and duller in the right. When OOPSed, the lead
vocals are still plainly audible, and summed to mono, the sound goes dull due to phase cancellations.
In the corrected version, both channels have the same EQ and the stereo image is more focused and sharp.
When OOPSed, the lead vocal, which was panned to centre, completely disappears except for its reverb.
In mono, the sound is crisp and well-defined. On this issue, the album sounds closer to how it did when it
was recorded - a version that no one has heard but Paul and his engineers... until now!

The Steve Hoffman remaster on DCC is generally regarded as the best-sounding iteration of this album, so that's the one we used for this project.

ffp file and artwork are included.

Please preserve the lossless quality of this material.

Uploaded to Demonoid September 25, 2011.

Enjoy!

Remasters Workshop
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

This is brilliant FBS, thank you for sharing.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Thank you FBS, this is great!! 8-)
—Keith
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

The only issue with the phase is the stereo mix is about four samples off, which indeed makes the right channel sound a little dull and causes the middle channel to smear, it's a lot more noticeable on headphones. There was no issue with the finished master, I believe Steve was wrong about this one.

I have made an attempt to fix some of the songs on the album, here is one example:

Thank you for your post fishbeardsunset!
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Let the big dog eat!
This is a triumph.
Thank you, fishbeardsunset!
This is the best I've ever heard RAM sound.
There is tasty guitar on Eat At Home and a wheezy organ or accordion Admiral Halsey.
There is a bunch of other stuff that I had never heard, too. But, better than that is the harmonic tension(???) has been removed and the music sounds alive and natural. RAM fans...now hear this...
KC
fishbeardsunset

Kwai Chang wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:57 am Let the big dog eat!
This is a triumph.
Thank you, fishbeardsunset!
This is the best I've ever heard RAM sound.
There is tasty guitar on Eat At Home and a wheezy organ or accordion Admiral Halsey.
There is a bunch of other stuff that I had never heard, too. But, better than that is the harmonic tension(???) has been removed and the music sounds alive and natural. RAM fans...now hear this...
KC
:D Hi Kwai... Thank you for your kind words- :D, as I spent a considerable amount of time on this one. Glad you enjoyed it and hope you managed to check some of my other posts out along the way. All the best to you for 2022
Appleyard

Post by Appleyard »

Fishbeardsunset, I cannot begin to describe how many new sounds I'm discovering in your phase-corrected remix, especially in monkberry, admiral Halsey and back seat. Thank you so much for making the new go-to version for me! Cheers.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

:D Brilliant, i love it. Thank you. Ram is one of my all time favourite albums.

Is there any chance the stems could be shared? :mrgreen: