HELP! My Canadian Disque Americ re-master cd 2020 plus extras

Fan created remixes and rare variations
fishbeardsunset

Re: HELP! My Canadian Disque Americ re-master cd 2020 plus extras

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Engonoceras wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:01 pm Did you you use the specific vintage EQ points or only modern EQ?

There's a huge difference.
Hi there- All I can tell you, as I am not "technically minded", is that 99% of my remixes are all done by ear... I do have a number of 32 bit plugins that I use within Audacity such as: Reaper's/Cockos ReaEQ which is a multi-band equalizer plug-in where you can add additional bands and save presets- and the use of High and low pass filters.

If I think it sounds ok through headphones, I will save the file and monitor it for sound quality- but don't keep altering the file as you may know that this can be "destructive" in Audacity, so; would prefer to redo it again keeping the "master" open and creating a new version to keep. (Hope that makes sense :roll: :roll: :roll: )
fishbeardsunset

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:01 pm Your work on the Help CD has been very enjoyable.......thanks for your work.
Check your PM box for a special thanks!
:D Hi there- Thanks for your comments. Message received- and PM replied to -grateful to you for that :D
fishbeardsunset

jpa wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:18 pm Thanks for this present - surely that's how I like this track!
"Your'e very welcome! :D and I hope I have passed the audition.... :roll:
Tex

Post by Tex »

fishbeardsunset wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:22 am Hi there- All I can tell you, as I am not "technically minded", is that 99% of my remixes are all done by ear... I do have a number of 32 bit plugins that I use within Audacity such as: Reaper's/Cockos ReaEQ which is a multi-band equalizer plug-in where you can add additional bands and save presets- and the use of High and low pass filters.
Back in the day in conjunction with the basic EQ of the REDD desk they used a plugin module made by EMI called a "brilliance box" with specific EQ points. The points were at 100hz, 2700hz, 3500hz and 10,000 hz. Much of the specific totality of the Beatles/Abbey Road mixes and EQ's of specific elements used these points. It is literally the sound of their mixes along with the microphones and recording setup. When a vocal or guitar has a midrange-y quality it may have a narrow 2700hz bump. When a snare drum has a snap and cymbals have a bright quality they may have a little 10k + treble. These bumps also act as a way to sort of alter the instrumental balance of a mono backing track. You can also use these point to deconstruct or reconstruct the tonality of the mixes. For example on the raw takes of "Strawberry Fields Forever" the vocal is very harsh and grainy. But, if you dial back that 2.7k on the center channel where the vocal is it suddenly has the slightly hollow pushed back quality just like the 1971 stereo remix. If anyone wants to tinker with the Beatles they need to have those points added to their DAW EQ rack. When Hoffman gave out HIS mastering advice for these Canadian CDs he used those very points because that's what was used in the mixes in the first place.
4-track-mind

Post by 4-track-mind »

Six-of-the-seven original '65 mixes accessible, at least, off the Capitol soundtrack version (excepting: the Duophonic "Ticket to Ride" in that case) were not mastered (apparently) with the same level of Dexterized treatment across all FORMATS. Neither the records nor the 2006 Rainbow Vol. 2 box (Capitol) HELP! disc, for example, sound the same as the 1970 reel to reel of it (which, I would have thought was going to sound just like the 2006 disc: because a copy of that master, ordinarily, was what the reel would've been duplicated from....but IT WAS NOT).

Staying with "The Night Before" just to demonstrate (a song, I think, is one of Paul's most underrated and personally is in my top 10 list): the source of the 1970 Ampex reel to reel has very little post-production reverb on it at all; as well as: the electric piano is not overloaded in the right channel (like on almost every other incarnation of the original Capitol source has it). Reel to reel was never dubbed from LP equalized masters (Hoffman's circus hawking megabuck vinyl GOT IT WRONG....they're jealous of a "club" higher-end they are on the outside of). So, there's really not much of a stretch between the U.K. source and listening to what an American TAPE can reveal at the end of the day: if one seeks out (what was) the top of the analog food chain to begin with.

THE NIGHT BEFORE 32/192 STEREO (from: the 7 1/2IPS, 1970 Ampex reel of the Capitol "HELP!" soundtrack; L2386....played on: a rebuilt Panasonic RS-736 deck in the family since my father had bought it in 1972).

(there for as long as anyone wants it)

[hxxps://mega.nz/file/E9InVSyb#u_1MfKtgh ... CSocZVZm80]
Think for yourself 'cause I won't be there with you... :lol:
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

4-track-mind wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:35 pmTHE NIGHT BEFORE 32/192 STEREO (from: the 7 1/2IPS, 1970 Ampex reel of the Capitol "HELP!" soundtrack; L2386....played on: a rebuilt Panasonic RS-736 deck in the family since my father had bought it in 1972).
Thank you for taking the trouble and for your generosity with this track.

Unfortunately the result sounds very thin, like stereo AM radio. Compare this to Dr. Winston's (whoever he is) rip of the same tape from about a year ago. Sounds like glorious FM by comparison, even at 16/44 (and holds its own against all other versions of the US release, vinyl, tape and CD):

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1PUd7KNh5ygifVfhz7_tiymlBiOsyhX-9/view?usp=sharing

Whether it's your tape or the deck, I don't know. I haven't messed with reel-to-reel since the late '70s! ;-)