Nobody Told Me (Restored Demo)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Hidlive

Nobody Told Me (Restored Demo)

Post by Hidlive »

Hey all,

Back in 2020 i had cleaned up the home demo of Nobody Told Me on the Lennon box set. Today i realized that by syncing up one of the bootlegged double-tracked mixes with the box set version, i could widen the stereo image a bit! And then, when i was about to make this post, i forgot there was a THIRD overdub (for some reason) on another bootleg. I hope there isn't any more.... anyways yeah, this sounds a lot more full than most mixes of the demo. I might try this out with any more of the '80 demos tomorrow. Feel free to critique!

hxxps://mega.nz/file/GVAlxYAQ#ze2am11iC ... FOUVCMV0jo
alphabeatles

Re: Nobody Told Me (Restored Demo)

Post by alphabeatles »

That was fun, thanks!

And it reminds me, with all of the new demixing capability, these demos are ripe for mining.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Hidlive wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:55 am Hey all,

Back in 2020 i had cleaned up the home demo of Nobody Told Me on the Lennon box set. Today i realized that by syncing up one of the bootlegged double-tracked mixes with the box set version, i could widen the stereo image a bit! And then, when i was about to make this post, i forgot there was a THIRD overdub (for some reason) on another bootleg. I hope there isn't any more.... anyways yeah, this sounds a lot more full than most mixes of the demo. I might try this out with any more of the '80 demos tomorrow. Feel free to critique!

hxxps://mega.nz/file/GVAlxYAQ#ze2am11iCUnu99mxAHvxErJx_ny1kGqU3FOUVCMV0jo
I really like this!
But the vocal seemed a little buried.
So, I isolated the vocal track at x-minus.pro and laid that atop your original file.
Here it is. See what you think.

hxxps://we.tl/t-02w1BrOr1E
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
Hidlive

Post by Hidlive »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:09 pm
Hidlive wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:55 am Hey all,

hxxps://mega.nz/file/GVAlxYAQ#ze2am11iCUnu99mxAHvxErJx_ny1kGqU3FOUVCMV0jo
I really like this!
But the vocal seemed a little buried.
So, I isolated the vocal track at x-minus.pro and laid that atop your original file.
Here it is. See what you think.

hxxps://we.tl/t-02w1BrOr1E
great job! I was so focused on getting a satisfying sound i forgot to make sure John was audible, lol.

I've been casually making more of these demo sync-ups today, but i gave up because of how there are THREE Woman demos with double tracking!!! here's all i made today: hxxps://mega.nz/folder/rUxEwa4K#eldQHRU6gftAzPAQ47O1og
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

great! are you Juha who was behind the amazing "John Lennon - Between The Lines" set ?
Hidlive

Post by Hidlive »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:22 am great! are you Juha who was behind the amazing "John Lennon - Between The Lines" set ?
never heard of 'em!
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Hidlive wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:37 pm great job! I was so focused on getting a satisfying sound i forgot to make sure John was audible, lol.

I've been casually making more of these demo sync-ups today, but i gave up because of how there are THREE Woman demos with double tracking!!! here's all i made today: hxxps://mega.nz/folder/rUxEwa4K#eldQHRU6gftAzPAQ47O1og
Thanks!
This new batch is better balanced.
I really like some of these demos better than the subsequent studio recordings. More down to earth.
Last edited by Rave O Lucien on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

These will be an interesting listen, thank you.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

This is amazing!
do you have more?

I don't remember the complete intro for Beautiful Boy with John's burb before singing.
Then, Woman take 10 is superb; the stereo is amazing with headphones. To my ears it sounds better than the His Master's Choice material.
There is just a very short dropout on one channel of "Woman take 10" at the beginning.

http://lifeofthebeatles.blogspot.com/20 ... lines.html
for the track-listing

the "Between The Lines" set was a free-fan label (Pine Apple records) collecting all demos 1975-1980 John Lennon.
This was done in the late 90's; so, PRIOR the His Master's Choice label (which surfaced with new demos unbooted with "At Home", etc...)