All Things Must Pass [Kenny Saxton Remaster]

Fan created remixes and rare variations
KennySaxton

All Things Must Pass [Kenny Saxton Remaster]

Post by KennySaxton »

Back in the days in BootlegZone, I once mentioned that somebody paid me to remix All Things Must Pass. I respectfully declined his offer and said I would do it anyway. However after several failed attempts, I found where it all went wrong: I was using the defected 2001 Remaster as base all along! The distortions at the end of every song and throughout I Dig Love were nowhere to be fixed and it was a pain try to remove plosive noises in Wah-Wah, not to mention the brickwalled mastering made all songs sound like a hard punch into your brain.
Luckily, a friend mine who owns a copy of original 1987 CD release of All Things Must Pass ripped a lossless copy for me. At the first listen, I was astonished not by its wide dynamic range but how low in volume is was pressed. I have to add around 10db gain to match 2001 Remasters, some songs need more.When the volumes are adjusted to a normal level, I found the sound while dynamic, is so dull that it lacks both high and low ends and in general lifeless.
That's when I finally decided to to use 1987 versions as the base to remix/remaster. Apart from fixing the problems I mentioned, I also made the bass and drums sound more punchier. Additional steps are taken to compress, for I've found a particular way to maximized the songs' subtle, powerful energies while retaining Phil Spector's wall-of-sound atomsphere and not spoiling sound quality.
After all songs are remastered, I took a further step to look for an alternative take of I Live For You, which is free of later overdubs and re-recordings, to add it to the collection as a special bonus.
When the work is all done, I am not quite as confident as now to post it. At first I thought some of my treatments were somewhat radical (especially the compression) and people may dislike them. But when I found that during my absence in the forum, people actually tried to track me down in the vast Internet to listen to my works, I am deeply touched. Some found the lossy preview of the whole remastered album on NetEase Music website and PM'ed me that my remasters are excellent. It truly gives me courage to post the remasters.
So here are my months of effort and blood and tears, I hope you all will like it! :lol:

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/eAoE2LSQ#N5KnNDAhm2ZImxp3k3NmAQ
Words and gibberish remixed from Merriam-Webster's by Kenny Saxton
James carlane3

Re: All Things Must Pass [Kenny Saxton Remaster]

Post by James carlane3 »

Thanks Kenny!!!!!!!!!
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Thank you Kenny, I will listen to your work with affection!
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Thank you Kenny, I will listen to your work with affection!
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Brilliant! Thank you Kenny -- your hard work and gracious sharing is MUCH appreciated! Looking forward to this with anticipation 8-)
—Keith
davetuba

Post by davetuba »

Thank you!
aslak

Post by aslak »

Just sitting here listening to your remix. Mission accomplished Mr. S.

Excellent!! Thank you very much indeed. A lot more punch, everything is clear and vibrant. I was disappointed with the recent remastered box set. I couldn't really hear much difference to the original or other versions. It is a bit weak and insipid - this isn't. It is sharp and sparkling. Nice.

Cheers
A
Cranberry Sauce

Post by Cranberry Sauce »

Thanks Appreciate all the work you do on your releases.
WoodLennon

Post by WoodLennon »

I had listened to the preview on NetEase Music and I liked it a lot but this version is extremely better, you did your job Kenny, thanks.
I made an artwork a few months ago when I listened to the preview, the first one was made with screenshots of the "Run Of The Mill (Take 36)" video and the other one is more traditional
Attachments
Alt. Cover (2).jpg
Alt. Cover (2).jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2565 times
Cover.jpg
Cover.jpg (306.98 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
Last edited by WoodLennon on Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

Thank you. I have always loved your work!