ABRACADABRA! (V4 upgrade 2022)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
AnitaZ

Re: ABRACADABRA! (V4 upgrade 2022)

Post by AnitaZ »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:06 pm I am struck by how similar the sound is to carl perkins' early work. In around May 1964 they bseem to have gone on a Perkins kick, recording one of his songs for the EP and filling two BBC sessions with Perkins covers. they also met him of course. So I think they were very much influenced by his sound for this album. It is certainly more "rockabilly" than "rock".
Absolutely! I always refer to BFS as the "Gretsch" album :) And then "Rock and Roll Music" was my intro to the Beatles as it was a huge single hit here in Germany back then. The first 7inch I bought with my own money!
Anita.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks again guys.

I think they did a brave thing with BFS. In a way it was just a big a break as Rubber Soul or Revolver was. They switched from their dance hall/beat group sound to something far more countrified. That's why i think they ultimately ditched Kitten, because by the end of the sessions they must have realised it just didn't fit in anymore. It's more like Slow Down.

Interestingly in this case, none of the other bands really followed suit and they basically abandoned this country approach in favour of a folky feel for their next metamorphosis. I think the Help! album caught them in a bit of a hiatus, not quite knowing what they were anymore. But all very interesting. Most of the other groups just kept putting out the same old stuff.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:01 pm Thanks again guys.
The sound of this set is incredible. I Feel Fine never sounded so crisp. Thanks as always for all the time you put in to these releases. I was listening in my car and noticed the ID3 tag after each song said (2021 Edition). Should I just load this bad boy up into Mp3tag and change it to (2022 Edition)?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

cliftdean74 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:28 pm The sound of this set is incredible. I Feel Fine never sounded so crisp.
Thanks. I left the drums at the side because they are so unusual, but put the plucky bass in the centre. Seems to work.
Thanks as always for all the time you put in to these releases. I was listening in my car and noticed the ID3 tag after each song said (2021 Edition). Should I just load this bad boy up into Mp3tag and change it to (2022 Edition)?
The reason I left the tag saying 2021 is so that these revised volumes will still load up alongside the older volumes. Otherwise, you end up with two different sets on your device, one with the 2021 stuff and one with the 2022 stuff.

If people want each volume to be separate on their device (rather than one long album), load up the entire set of 9 volumes in mp3tag and delete the "ALBUM ARTIST" field. You can then change the album title to 2022 if you wish.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

AnitaZ wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:28 pm And then "Rock and Roll Music" was my intro to the Beatles as it was a huge single hit here in Germany back then. The first 7inch I bought with my own money!
Anita.
I first heard that song in the cartoon series and really loved it. John's voice was just so authoritive. He's the guy who owns the room when he walks in. He's the Man.
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

I always regarded BFS as one of their weakest albums (although I Feel Fine is my favourite song bar none), but I find myself probably listening to it more than any other album.
I also like playing lots of the tracks on my guitar (along with the AHDN album).
So it's great to hear these songs as fresh and crisp as this.
Thank you LR.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:01 pm They switched from their dance hall/beat group sound to something far more countrified. That's why i think they ultimately ditched Kitten, because by the end of the sessions they must have realised it just didn't fit in anymore. It's more like Slow Down.
I agree, but I never understood why it wasn't then slated for an US release, eg Beatles IV was just 11 songs and was a hodgepodge already to say the least (and could have included Slow Down as well).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

IFeelFine wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:09 am So it's great to hear these songs as fresh and crisp as this.
Thank you LR.
Thankyou my boy.
harrylime wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:17 am agree, but I never understood why it wasn't then slated for an US release, eg Beatles IV was just 11 songs and was a hodgepodge already to say the least (and could have included Slow Down as well).
Dave Dexter Jnr works in mysterious ways!
List of my stuff: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1962

"They shall mount up with wings, as eagles."
jpa

Post by jpa »

I've always enjoyed George's great guitar work on BFS. The LR treatment certainly emphasizes it in the best possible way!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

jpa wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:20 pm I've always enjoyed George's great guitar work on BFS. The LR treatment certainly emphasizes it in the best possible way!
George did some great guitar playing on BFS yes. I've always loved his playing, and struggle to understand the notion that has arisen in recent years that he was no good. In the 70s and 80s, it was Ringo that was no good and George was always regarded as a fine guitarist.