Fan created remixes and rare variations
BeatleGuy1949

Re: "Australian" version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank You paul62. Digging these mixes!!
Tex

Post by Tex »

paul62 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:32 am Here's the beta version of "She's A Woman" for now!!!
05 She's A Woman (cleaned up and remastered from GH Vol.2 LP by paul62)
https://yung.cloud/track/38084/05-shes- ... -by-paul62
Paul, have you heard the stereo mix with the count-in that was on the 1981 "bounus" EP from the EP box? It's on the CD EP box also. That tape appears to be the ORIGINAL stereo master minus the severe mid-range boost and compression of the supposed stereo "master". The sound quality is closer to the other stereo mixes on "Beatles For Sale". I think in 1964 they just redubbed the master with a huge 2K boost + compression and labeled the new tape the "master" and filed away the original. Then while compiling tapes for the vinyl EP box they decided to use this unknown mix tape on the "bonus" EP. It's obviously a separate tape (not just a different mastering) because the other one probably labeled "stereo master" was transferred for "Past Masters" years before the CD EP box.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm
paul62 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:32 am Here's the beta version of "She's A Woman" for now!!!
05 She's A Woman (cleaned up and remastered from GH Vol.2 LP by paul62)
https://yung.cloud/track/38084/05-shes- ... -by-paul62
Paul, have you heard the stereo mix with the count-in that was on the 1981 "bounus" EP from the EP box? It's on the CD EP box also. That tape appears to be the ORIGINAL stereo master minus the severe mid-range boost and compression of the supposed stereo "master". The sound quality is closer to the other stereo mixes on "Beatles For Sale". I think in 1964 they just redubbed the master with a huge 2K boost + compression and labeled the new tape the "master" and filed away the original. Then while compiling tapes for the vinyl EP box they decided to use this unknown mix tape on the "bonus" EP. It's obviously a separate tape (not just a different mastering) because the other one probably labeled "stereo master" was transferred for "Past Masters" years before the CD EP box.
My theory is that the original mix was sent to Australia and they'd not got it back in 1981, so did a new remix. They might have got the original stereo mix from Germany, or perhaps the Aussies found the original spool of tape with that one song and sent it back.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
paul62

Re: Cry Baby Cry (Take 1 blended with the regular version) - Can You Take Me Back (fadeout fixed)

Post by paul62 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:11 am The story is that when the cds came out in 87 they threw all their previous master tapes in a skip and they were rescued and taken home by an employee. Lucky guy.
Lucky guy, all right! I hope he, his friends and family have enjoyed listening to the tapes through excellent gear through the years. More importantly, I hope someone in his inner circle can convince him to run off 24 bit 192 kHz transfers and share the transfers via torrents for the rest of us!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Lord Reith

Re: Cry Baby Cry (Take 1 blended with the regular version) - Can You Take Me Back (fadeout fixed)

Post by Lord Reith »

paul62 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:48 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:11 am The story is that when the cds came out in 87 they threw all their previous master tapes in a skip and they were rescued and taken home by an employee. Lucky guy.
Lucky guy, all right! I hope he, his friends and family have enjoyed listening to the tapes through excellent gear through the years. More importantly, I hope someone in his inner circle can convince him to run off 24 bit 192 kHz transfers and share the transfers via torrents for the rest of us!!
I read that with one of those audiophile uploads, maybe it was that German Pepper tape. But I seem to recall there was no chance of him sharing them.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm Paul, have you heard the stereo mix with the count-in that was on the 1981 "bounus" EP from the EP box? It's on the CD EP box also. That tape appears to be the ORIGINAL stereo master minus the severe mid-range boost and compression of the supposed stereo "master". The sound quality is closer to the other stereo mixes on "Beatles For Sale". I think in 1964 they just redubbed the master with a huge 2K boost + compression and labeled the new tape the "master" and filed away the original. Then while compiling tapes for the vinyl EP box they decided to use this unknown mix tape on the "bonus" EP. It's obviously a separate tape (not just a different mastering) because the other one probably labeled "stereo master" was transferred for "Past Masters" years before the CD EP box.
Yes, I've got that one!! I shared a 'drop of the vinyl EP back "in the 'zone" (and have cleaned that up a bit more since then).

I've got "She's A Woman" on the Australian Greatest Hits Volume 2 LP and also on the Toshiba version of The Beatles Box. I've done 24 bit 48kHz 'drops of all three, using the same gear in the digitisations.

To get the fairest comparisons, I've roughly speed-matched the Oz LP version (slowed down by -0.375%) and the Toshiba LP version (speeded up by +0.450%) as well as volume-matched these two versions to the UK vinyl EP version to give you an idea of the EQ profile of each. I've also got the '88 CD version from Past Masters made into a 32-bit float 48kHz file and volume-matched to the other versions shown.

Then, I've got the EQ profile of the Australian-cut LP version of "Kansas City - Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey", reduced in volume to equate with "She's A Woman" - this EQ curve shape is midway between the Australian-cut version of "She's A Woman" and the UK and the Japanese vinyl versions (which are similar to each other). The CD one is dissimilar to the vinyl versions. (RIAA equalisation imposed on the signal by the phono pre-amp when 'dropping the vinyl is a factor to consider, too).

"She's A Woman" from UK-made SGE1 vinyl EP

"She's A Woman" from Australian-made TBGH Vol. 1 vinyl LP

"She's A Woman" from Japanese-made TBB (FL) ​vinyl LP

"She's A Woman" from '88 CD made into 32-bit float 48kHz file and volume-matched

"Kansas City - Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" from Australian-made BFS LP
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:31 am I read that with one of those audiophile uploads, maybe it was that German Pepper tape. But I seem to recall there was no chance of him sharing them.
You might be thinking of the AudioPhil versions of Abbey Road and SPLHCB - I don't know if there are any more Beatles albums from AudioPhil.

The EMI Australia dupe master-tapes might be better off ending up with AudioPhil than ending up in landfill...!!!

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

BeatleGuy1949 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:02 pm Thank You paul62. Digging these mixes!!
Glad you like them!! I've sent you a PM!

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

paul62 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:31 am I thought I'd share the rare "Australian" version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand", taken from the Greatest Hits Volume 1 LP I've shared here.
Quite a lot of work was needed to get this one into shape!
https://yung.cloud/track/38083/05-i-wan ... -by-paul62
(I'll share the rare "Australian" version of "She's A Woman", taken from the Greatest Hits Volume 2 LP I've shared, as well).
This is an amazing mix! Lots of details that were inaudible on my old Capitol 45!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
Tex

Post by Tex »

Paul, why would you bother with a vinyl rip and restoration of "She's A Woman" when there is a superb digital transfer done for the 1992 CD box set of the EP masters? I think the EP masters are actually better masterings of the songs even though they are 2nd generation. The bonus EP is most likely the actual 1st gen masters though.

I'll upload "She's A Woman" to a dedicated thread when I get time since it's an important master and superior (I think) to the supposed master tape used for "Past Masters". Also the CD EP versions of "Hand" and CBML and other singles destroy the "Past Masters" versions. Seriously, y'all are missing out by ignoring the CD EP box.
Last edited by Tex on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.