Pete Best's Beatles - Boys

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Rave O Lucien

Re: "Australian" version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:00 pm Also the CD EP versions of "Hand" and CBML and other singles destroy the "Past Masters" versions. Seriously, y'all are missing out by ignoring the CD EP box.
I recently read in SHF that the best version of "She Loves You" is in the CD EP box.
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
Tex

Post by Tex »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:20 pm I recently read in SHF that the best version of "She Loves You" is in the CD EP box.
Posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=537&p=7414#p7414
r9453

Re: Cry Baby Cry (Take 1 blended with the regular version) - Can You Take Me Back (fadeout fixed)

Post by r9453 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:31 am But I seem to recall there was no chance of him sharing them.
That take it to the grave attitude shits me to tears! :!: :cry:
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud
Lord Reith

Re: Cry Baby Cry (Take 1 blended with the regular version) - Can You Take Me Back (fadeout fixed)

Post by Lord Reith »

r9453 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:31 am But I seem to recall there was no chance of him sharing them.
It might be he is afraid someone will join the dots and realise who it was.

But, yeah, there are those sort of people. The late owner of Revolver Records in NY told me that he'd talked with collectors who said they'd rather their stuff be destroyed than heard by other fans. Pretty bizarre attitude.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:36 am
r9453 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 pm
It might be he is afraid someone will join the dots and realise who it was.

But, yeah, there are those sort of people. The late owner of Revolver Records in NY told me that he'd talked with collectors who said they'd rather their stuff be destroyed than heard by other fans. Pretty bizarre attitude.
Remember the fabled “Entomology” tape years ago? Same mentality there (although I don’t know if that tape actually existed, but used to be the “holy grail” of Beatlegs”).
—Keith
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm Paul, have you heard the stereo mix with the count-in that was on the 1981 "bounus" EP from the EP box? It's on the CD EP box also. That tape appears to be the ORIGINAL stereo master minus the severe mid-range boost and compression of the supposed stereo "master". The sound quality is closer to the other stereo mixes on "Beatles For Sale". I think in 1964 they just redubbed the master with a huge 2K boost + compression and labeled the new tape the "master" and filed away the original. Then while compiling tapes for the vinyl EP box they decided to use this unknown mix tape on the "bonus" EP. It's obviously a separate tape (not just a different mastering) because the other one probably labeled "stereo master" was transferred for "Past Masters" years before the CD EP box.
Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:00 pm Paul, why would you bother with a vinyl rip and restoration of "She's A Woman" when there is a superb digital transfer done for the 1992 CD box set of the EP masters? I think the EP masters are actually better masterings of the songs even though they are 2nd generation. The bonus EP is most likely the actual 1st gen masters though.

I'll upload "She's A Woman" to a dedicated thread when I get time since it's an important master and superior to the supposed master tape used for "Past Masters". Also the CD EP versions of "Hand" and CBML and other singles destroy the "Past Masters" versions. Seriously, y'all are missing out by ignoring the CD EP box.
I always liked the sound of the EP Collection on CD: well before the 2009 mono reissues came out (or were even rumoured to be coming out), I was hoping that more EP collections could be compiled to collect all the other tracks in mono. (I made posts about that at SH Forums back in the day, which as I read them again, makes me realise why I got into audio tinkering in the first place!!!).

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... st-3135499
You can build your own mono MMT if you shell out for the CD Singles and EP box-sets........
paul62, Jan 2, 2008

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... st-3277434
The CD EP Collection and the CD Singles Collection, though expensive to buy, are a way to get a really nice sounding mono MMT album, most of PPM in mono, most of AHDN in mono and much of BFS in mono.

I think we need a thread specifically about how a fan with the original '87 CDs and access to audio editing software can improve the sound of the '87 CD tracks (maybe a step by step guide for each track, if someoone is kind or keen enough?).

paul62, Feb 26, 2008

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... st-3294134
I'm thinking of creating a mono "Rubber Soul" using the four tracks from the CD EP Collection, getting the remaining ten tracks from the stereo CD and folding then down and adding "Daytripper" and "We Can Work It Out" from the CD Singles Collection (and maybe even a folded-down "12 Bar Original" from "Anthology 2"). Has anybody else reading this tried this (and is willing to make any comments, good or bad)?
paul62, Mar 3, 2008

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... st-3513584
I'd like to see another EP Collection (or two) issued, with the rest of the mono tracks from Please Please Me through to Rubber Soul. Revolver and SPLHCB can be broken up into three EPs, the white album into five or six EPs and the songs from Side One of the Yellow Submarine LP (except Yellow Submarine and All You Need Is Love) can go on one EP. I'd want the same sort of sonic quality that the Singles and EP collections have and great artwork on the covers of the new EPs.
This would be a way to get the mono mixes remastered and reissued. It could also be a highly profitable venture for EMI and Apple Corps!

paul62, May 31, 2008

Here's the EQ moves you'd need to do to make the '88 Past Master CD version of "She's A Woman" more like the '99 EP version (on CD):

Here's the '88 Past Master CD version of "She's A Woman", made to sound more like the '99 EP version (on CD):
hxxps://gofile.io/d/AmZDVY
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Tex

Post by Tex »

Well there ya go there was 2.7k hump added for the defacto stereo master as I've said for years now. Also looks like they dialed back the 10k. Those bumps might actually be much more narrow if they used the "presence box" and simply re-dubbed the original stereo master through the desk and presence box to make the defacto stereo master. Anyone know what EQs were built into the desk besides just bass, treble and the 5k "POP" boost?

"The Presence Boxes were based on an earlier Abbey Road design from 1955 and re-created as the RS 127 in 1962. It was required to add to the available treble frequencies on the EMI recording consoles, being 2.7 Kc/s, 3.5 Kc/s and 10 Kc/s which could be boosted in 2 dB steps up to 10 dB (or reduced when necessary). The grey unit had to be plugged into a purpose made rack of equipment placed behind the recording console and as it was purely passive it required a remote amplifier."

Once you know HOW something would have been done at EMI Studios you then can understand WHAT was actually done just by listening to it. THEN you can quickly and properly decode the EQ characteristics of the mixes and the elements and eliminate the guesswork trying to tonally match things.

I don't know the exact width of the "presence box" notches but the EQ adjustments in the graphic above are surely way too broad and flat I would think. The presence box has 2.7K alongside 3.5K so there can't be much width to either or they just overlap. A broader dip at 2.7K probably sounds better to our modern ears but I don't think the engineers at the time would use such a broad dip. I'd love to see some actual technical data though I could be wrong. By the way you can reduce John's vocal nasality with a slight dip in the 2.7K. The EMI engineers knew what they were doing when they selected those values.
paul62

Re: "Her Majesty"

Post by paul62 »

powerPC wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:04 am Personally I like Her Majesty inserted back into the medley. It’s a perfect fit (since it was sliced out of it anyway), and kinda flows well because MMM says “takes him out to look at the queen… always shouts out something obscene” 😂
If "Her Majesty" was performed at a much quicker tempo (perhaps on a ukelele) and placed where it was meant to be, that might have worked even better, methinks.

An idea that has just come to mind is to graft some Ringo drums to "Her Majesty" (from either "Mean Mr. Mustard" or "Polythene Pam") to provide a better flow and provide a link between "Mean Mr. Mustard"/"Her Majesty"/ "Polythene Pam". So, I'm 'thinking of linking' as someone once sang,,,!!!

When John returned his MBE, I could imagine him busking a version of "Her Majesty" for a laugh...!!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Re: The Big Medley

Post by paul62 »

Here's the first draft, with "Her Majesty" back in place between "MMM" and "PP", with drumming from "MMM":

https://yung.cloud/track/38191/the-big- ... -by-paul62

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Re: The Big Medley

Post by paul62 »

Here's an oldie of mine which I thought I'd share here. The left channel was the 1999 remix, OOPSed and synched to the right channel (which was the 2009 reissue of the mono master): 60-195Hz centred in 9Hz steps to complete the remix. The track is 100% lossless: no AI stems were used in preparing this track (which pre-dates the spectral/AI era).

Only A Northern Song (100% lossless remix by paul62).wav
https://yung.cloud/track/38192/only-a-n ... -by-paul62

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing