Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Fan created remixes and rare variations
ianbuckers

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Post by ianbuckers »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:50 pm OK, Ian's is tonally closer to my rip but still a bit muted sounding. Paul's is very muffled compared to mine and Ian's.

Honestly I would just ditch the De-Emph script or whatever and do it by ear because the other way is simply not accurate according to my samples. The results speak for themselves.
You can't use your analogue rip as a benchmark. From SoX - Sound eXchange...

"A typical CD deemphasis circuit of the time might be out by as much as a dB."

So de-emph filters are regarded as more accurate.From SHF...

"To my ears SoX is the most transparent way to do it. Even better than any CD player's de-emphasis that I have heard."

You suggest the uploads using Sox are closer to yours than mine.From SHF...

"The Foobar IIR filter also uses SoX and I agree it is great."

...and...

"In the wiki - http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis - the following is stated:

"WaveEmph, SoX, and all of the foobar2000 plug-ins have been tested and produce nearly identical output. The differences are minuscule and inaudible."

Conclusions:

Any differences in results using plug-ins are NOT down to one filter being more accurate than others.

So any CD rips using the leading digital de-emph filters will be accurately de-emph'd. So we must assume any difference in various digitally de-emph'd rips must lie elsewhere. Different pressings? There were at least 2 variations of the japanese pre-emphasised Abbey Road (I may well try using foobar de-emph on the raw upload from yymca6 and see if it produces a better sounding result).

Analogue rips can not be guaranteed to be quite as accurate. Because of possible inaccuracy in the players de-emph circuit as noted in the discussions on SoX - Sound eXchange but also let's remember there a small degree of amplification by the player and (if recorded thru an amplifier) a further degree of amplification by the pre-amp. All CD players (if using the analogue outputs) and all amplifiers sound different so analogue rips will sound different depending on the equipment used. Basically a further EQ difference is introduced. So we cannot use an analogue rip as a benchmark.

"Honestly I would just ditch the De-Emph script or whatever and do it by ear because the other way is simply not accurate according to my samples."...No! That is clearly not correct as demonstrated by above. If it produces a result you like as your listening copy great. But not as an accurate rip of the original source.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Thanks paul62 for all of this!
Yves
Tex

Post by Tex »

Your de-emps are closer to my live rips and, yeah, they may have one or two decibels less treble than mine that sounds about right. Paul's de-emph sounds nothing like either of ours they sound VERY muffled like shaved off above 15khz. I just played them all again side by side again. I can still hear up to 17khz. Clearly one de-emph method is faulty. You guys need to like actually use your ears and stop trusting those darn scripts as your objective truth. There are now THREE versions posted people should listen to each side-by-side on a full system (not computer speakers!) and make an objective opinion which sounds best or most closely matches a real CD playback. With that I'm out of this discussion. Please don't throw EQ charts and SHF quotes at me either I'm done. Cheers.
Last edited by Tex on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neal Nollie

Post by Neal Nollie »

Has anybody got a rip of the de-emph'd black triangle abbey road they are willing to share?
paul62

Post by paul62 »

More than anything else, I'd prefer to think of my AR uploads here as recreations of the tracks from the Pro Use LP (as played through my hi-fi system, with whatever tonal anomalies or differences that process gives to the signal output): bringing up the matter of the Black Triangle CD's status as a pre-emphasis/de-emphasis kind of CD is meant to create some interesting debate and discussion.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
paul62

Post by paul62 »

yymca6 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:37 pm Thanks paul62 for all of this!
You're very welcome, my friend! It's a shame that I can't offer you a bowl of my chicken soup, though!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

paul62 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:20 pm
yymca6 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:37 pm Thanks paul62 for all of this!
You're very welcome, my friend! It's a shame that I can't offer you a bowl of my chicken soup, though!!
Enjoy the soup! Maybe one day we'll be able to upload food and recreate it with the help of 3D printers 😜
Yves
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

paul62 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:49 am Image
Aha! The de-limiting setting for the 2009 remasters! GOOD one, paul62!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Thank you Paul, another gem for my collection! :D
—Keith
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Nollie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:03 pm Has anybody got a rip of the de-emph'd black triangle abbey road they are willing to share?
Yes, as great as Paul's new version sounds, I'd also still like to have this as well for my collection (my FLAC files are NOT de-emphasized)...
—Keith