Lennon Making Imagine Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
buzby22

Lennon Making Imagine Question

Post by buzby22 »

We now have alot of movie footage of John making imagine coming in from:

Imagine TV movie (1971 and a new edit(?) in 2018)
Imagine (the 1988 Andrew Solt movie)
Gimme some truth (2000 with a new edit in 2019)
Above us only sky (dvd 2018)

All of these have different edits and camera shots and DVD extras etc. In particular the 'above us only sky' has a very much longer segment of John talking with Curt Claudio and new takes of songs etc not featured before.

My question is has anyone tried to work the various edits and bits of footage into something more comprehensive that has the best bits of everything?
Hitachi

Re: Lennon Making Imagine Question

Post by Hitachi »

There is a great breakdown of all the scenes filmed for the "Imagine" doco and it's off-shot docos since them (eg: Gimme Some Truth & Above Us Only Sky) at the truly wonderful and essential Beatles film & video site "The Beatles on Film". Check out the John 1971 page here:
http://www.beatlesonfilm.com/jl1971.html
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I started at one point to try to edit clips to put some of the footage in chronological order, and you can't with some. Sometimes there is wrong audio synchronized to footage When you try to do Jealous Guy and study to sound to mouth movements, they really take freedom of the fact that takes are similar with mouth movements for angle shots that you'd only have head placement that makes it obvious that some footage isn't for what you are listening to. Don't ask which one's are good or bad. Above Us Only Sky wasn't bad with audio with wrong footage, as much as it was choppy, but I gave up. I think I rearranged audio in the right order and gave up on the footage. My questio overall has been the How Do You Sleep session. I used all sources and have like three different orders of the order all the session material goes in and two outtakes I can't figure out where they go in any of those orders?
buzby22

Post by buzby22 »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm I started at one point to try to edit clips to put some of the footage in chronological order, and you can't with some. Sometimes there is wrong audio synchronized to footage When you try to do Jealous Guy and study to sound to mouth movements, they really take freedom of the fact that takes are similar with mouth movements for angle shots that you'd only have head placement that makes it obvious that some footage isn't for what you are listening to. Don't ask which one's are good or bad. Above Us Only Sky wasn't bad with audio with wrong footage, as much as it was choppy, but I gave up. I think I rearranged audio in the right order and gave up on the footage. My questio overall has been the How Do You Sleep session. I used all sources and have like three different orders of the order all the session material goes in and two outtakes I can't figure out where they go in any of those orders?
Thats really interesting and I can see how that makes this difficult. I wonder if 'Imagine all the outtakes' or the new superdeluxe set could help pair the right pieces together.