'Birth of the Beatles' film from 1979

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
MarkRJones1970

'Birth of the Beatles' film from 1979

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Has anyone got this in decent quality? The version on YouTube is very blurry and barely watchable. I did get a DVD of it once but it wasn't much, if at all, better than this:

I had it on video once when I taped it off the TV in the mid80s. Taped over it ages ago. Now I wish I hadn't as it was much better quality than that version.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
beatlefan99

Re: 'Birth of the Beatles' film from 1979

Post by beatlefan99 »

Here you go :

RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

:lol: :lol: You're better off watching The Ruttles.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I saw that at the cinema in 1979. I actually found it acutely embarrassing because the singing was so bad. The session was full of other teenagers, most of whom probably only knew one or two Beatles songs but that film would have put them off The Beatles for life.

There's two things I vividly recall:

- The opening credits played over a silly waltz time version of My Bonnie which got loads of sniggers and catcalls from the other kids (replaced with She Loves You in some countries).

- In one of the intense scenes with Brian and "Eppy", Brian turns to John and hesitantly says, "John..." and some wag in the audience screamed out "I LOVE YOU!" and the whole place just erupted with laughter.

A few years after that it was on tv and I watched it with my mum who found it really funny, and in fact the humour is the one thing they got spot on in that movie. Usually Beatles tribute films have actors delivering "funny" lines in that dreadfull Yellow Submarine drawl, but they got the delivery and timing perfect. So 1 out of 10 for the music and 10 out of 10 for the laughs.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Actors who attempt Scouse always sound like Brummies, "She luvs yow, awlruyt" :lol:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

RunoutGroove wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:32 am Actors who attempt Scouse always sound like Brummies, "She luvs yow, awlruyt" :lol:
And my pet peeve: British actors who think Australians pronounce "grass" to rhyme with "lass". I can't believe in 2021 they still haven't got this right.

GRASS rhymes with ARSE!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

RunoutGroove wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 am :lol: :lol: You're better off watching The Ruttles.
I always thought Oasis' entire early career was based on the song Cheese And Onions.
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:38 am
RunoutGroove wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 am :lol: :lol: You're better off watching The Ruttles.
I always thought Oasis' entire early career was based on the song Cheese And Onions.
I said exactly the same thing over in The Ruttles thread. It's an insult to The Ruttles. Don't want to offend Oasis fans, but who collects them, or compares their stereo pressings from Guadalupe with mono versions from Uzbekistan? No one I tells ya!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

RunoutGroove wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:51 am
Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:38 am
I said exactly the same thing over in The Ruttles thread. It's an insult to The Ruttles. Don't want to offend Oasis fans, but who collects them, or compares their stereo pressings from Guadalupe with mono versions from Uzbekistan? No one I tells ya!
Well to be fair I like some of their songs, and I also think Noel is a frigging fantastic guitarist and hilarious to boot. But a lot of their songs sound like Cheese And Onions.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I think 'Piggy in the Middle' is amost as good as 'I am the Walrus'.In fact, seeing the film clip to go with 'Piggy...' was the 1st time I got any idea of what MMT was going to be like as, back in the early 80s, I hadn't even ever seen ONE clip from MMT. Glimpses of it were very rare. The very 1st clip I managed to see was the montage shown in the 'Movie Medley' promo which made me really want to see it, it looked amazing. (Yes i was a tad let down when I did eventually see it, but it still has its good bits)

After watching the Rutles film for the 1st time sometime 1982 I was looking forward to hearing 'I am the Waitress', as advertised on the album cover for 'Tragical History Tour', but that one STILL hasn't surfaced. Saying that, none of them have. So no 'The Fool on the Pill', 'Lying', 'Blue Gay Way', 'Your Mother Should Go', 'Hello, Get Lost', 'W.C.Fields Forever', 'Denny Laine', 'Abie Your A Rich Man' or 'All You Need is Lunch'! :( Maybe one day ay!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK