The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Qwazi

Re: 'Birth of the Beatles' film from 1979

Post by Qwazi »

Brilliant project! Cheers!
HannibalTwin8

Post by HannibalTwin8 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 am I did four songs quickly yesterday and they seem to work okay although synching them to Rain's versions is a bugger because their drummer's timing is absolutely shocking. Makes you realise how good Ringo was.

Was Rain really the best tribute group Dick Clark could lay his hands on? They not only don't sound like The Beatles, they are just a terrible band with a terrible singer. Synching up Roll Over Beethoven nearly made my ears melt having to listen to it over and over again!

I think the best video quality is DocRobert's dvd version. It runs at the wrong speed of 25fps instead of 24 but this is actually good because it gives clean frames that haven't been telecined and can be put through a film dirt removal tool and then slowed down accordingly. Okay, it's only vhs but it's 14:9 and uninterrupted and the audio quality is also very good (mono). And it's the extended edit. So I'll upload a new version of BOTB with two different soundtracks: the remade one and the original at the correct speed.

There's some fun possibilities here! Aside from using ISHST from the Star Club I think it will be fun to use the Cavern version of Kansas City. The hardest part will be overlaying conversation and audiences over the new audio... but, gentleman, we have the knowledge, we have the technology... we can rebuild him!

ImageImage
If anybody can do it, it's Lord Oscar Reith Goldman. :D
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 am I did four songs quickly yesterday and they seem to work okay although synching them to Rain's versions is a bugger because their drummer's timing is absolutely shocking. Makes you realise how good Ringo was.

Was Rain really the best tribute group Dick Clark could lay his hands on? They not only don't sound like The Beatles, they are just a terrible band with a terrible singer....
May have been true then, but Rain is still out there touring and they have newer members now. (I believe that the Broadway show "Beatlemania" may have morphed from that original line up possibly).

They actually aren't bad at all. They put on a good show and they have a keyboard player in the background doing all the orchestral stuff. Seems to work well. Personally I'm not a big fan of groups who put on wigs, terrible Liverpudlian accents and the Sgt. Pepper pajamas (pretending to be 20 year olds while actually being closer to 60) but, outside of that, these guys are pretty good. Their "George Harrison" is a fantastic guitar player.
My opinions are my own, but, my dog tends to agree with everything I say.
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Was Rain really the best tribute group Dick Clark could lay his hands on? They not only don't sound like The Beatles, they are just a terrible band with a terrible singer. Synching up Roll Over Beethoven nearly made my ears melt having to listen to it over and over again!

I think the best video quality is DocRobert's dvd version. It runs at the wrong speed of 25fps instead of 24 but this is actually good because it gives clean frames that haven't been telecined and can be put through a film dirt removal tool and then slowed down accordingly. Okay, it's only vhs but it's 14:9 and uninterrupted and the audio quality is also very good (mono). And it's the extended edit. So I'll upload a new version of BOTB with two different soundtracks: the remade one and the original at the correct speed.

There's some fun possibilities here! Aside from using ISHST from the Star Club I think it will be fun to use the Cavern version of Kansas City. The hardest part will be overlaying conversation and audiences over the new audio... but, gentleman, we have the knowledge, we have the technology... we can rebuild him!

ImageImage
So Rain was trying to be true to Pete Best’s timekeeping skills?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

JoeWadley wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:27 pm So Rain was trying to be true to Pete Best’s timekeeping skills?
He he!

Actually looking at that Dizzy Miss Lizzy clip, as they come off the stage you can see the overhead microphone at one point. This indicates that the film was meant to be cropped to 16:9 rather than 14:9 like the BBC did. But I'll keep it 14:9 because I hate matting! Give us the full frame A Hard Day's Night on bluray like the old dvd.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:14 am I will have a go at dubbing some of the songs and post the results.
I've suggested to you a couple of times over the years to replace tracks in the AHDN film with alternate EMI or BBC tracks and genuine live concert audio into the Scala Theatre faux concert. You've probably had the same ideas yourself, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't give it a go (apart from the fact that other projects get in the way, as always...!!!).

Replacing Budokan live audio with EMI studio versions could yield some interesting fan-made "promo films" - I remember you dubbed some Candlestick Park audio to some Budokan footage ("Budokandle" was the name you gave the results) years ago.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Here's Roll Over Beethoven and Kansas City. KC is a bit rough at the end but it's still pretty cool to see them miming to the real thing. Rain, Rain, go away, don't come again another day! :lol:

https://tinyurl.com/2fumeehy
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

Video is curropted.
Qwazi

Post by Qwazi »

Thank you LR! This is pure gold. Fascinating to watch and listen with real Beatles in the mix.

Vid worked fine for me. I could watch this whole film again like this!
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:35 pm
Same up here where I am. I'm from Northampton and down there we say GRASS as in ARSE. Up here in the North West it's GRASS as in LASS! Same with BATH. I say BARF, up here it's BAF! And I'll never get used to people calling trousers PANTS up here. Pants are underwear, like UNDERPANTS! TROUSERS TROUSERS TROUSERS! Pants are Y fronts!!!
I know we've moved on a further three pages but I must pull you on this Mark. Pants are smart trousers/ in Liverpool we also call them Keks. Underpants are called underpants because you wear them UNDER your pants! Simple! :lol: