Some Other Guy (LIVE at The Cavern Club) [*COLORIZED*]

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Tex

Re: Some Other Guy (LIVE at The Cavern Club) [*COLORIZED*]

Post by Tex »

The Three Stooges shorts had excellent colorization they actually did research into the color of clothes and props.
Paharishi

Post by Paharishi »

What happened at minute 1:17?
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:04 am The best hand colorization I've ever seen is Casablanca, and that was done 30 years ago. Whoever did it went to extraordinary trouble. Usually in those movies they would just colour the actors and everything behind them would be a wash. But in that one they literally hand coloured every insignifant object on the set. It is quite extraordinary.

I Dream Of Jeannie Season 1 is pretty good too. When the money's there, the results can be surprising. Unfortunately I think AI colorization has rung the death knell for hand colorizing.
...and the rise of purple-colored smudges! Thank god for AI, or we would never have known how much PURPLE everyone wore back then!!!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

dascottjr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:45 am ...and the rise of purple-colored smudges! Thank god for AI, or we would never have known how much PURPLE everyone wore back then!!!
Oh yeah, I hate that too. You'd think an artificial intelligence would be smart enough to know that people don't often wear purple... or NEVER if they have any taste!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Computer Gary

Post by Computer Gary »

dascottjr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:45 amwe would never have known how much PURPLE everyone wore back then!!!
Prince was an influencer before there were influencers... :mrgreen:
Grandfather: I must see Paulie!
Cop: Go home, then, and see him on the telly!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Some of the Beatles tv appearances should be relatively easy to hand colorize in this day and age. I mean, you only have to colour the first key frame and the software does the rest of the shot. So you've really only got to cover each camera angle (three?) and the rest is automated. The Ed Sullivan Shows would be good candidates, with only a few audience shots to complicate things.

I'm always so sad that the 65 Sullivan appearance missed the colour era by ONE WEEK. And that Washington DC was supposed to be videotaped in COLOUR, not b&w (can't recall why it didn't happen). Washington would have been our one chance to see The Beatles perform in their light blue suits.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I agree, ONE WEEK! Sickening! :roll:
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

What are the "lost" tv appearances you would love to see the most? Going from memory some of them are:

The 625 Show (1963)
Sunday Night At The London Palladium (63 and 64)
Juke Box Jury (three solo appearances and one group appearance)
It's the Beatles (1963)
Pops And Lenny (63)
Top Of The Pops (quite a few, but the 66 appearance was notable)
The Eammon Andrews Show (long, interesting interview where they get put down by the other guests and then perform Eight Days A Week I think)
People And Places (four appearances in late 1962)
Thank Your Lucky Stars (again, quite a few, but the first one with Please Please Me was truly historic)

If I had to choose just one... it would be tough, but I think the 1964 Palladium. That's such a cool performance and I've always wanted to see it. Apple have an inline audio copy btw... drool.
deadman

Post by deadman »

Does anyone know if the original film of the Cavern performance still exists? Having this scanned in HD would be quite something.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

deadman wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:23 pm Does anyone know if the original film of the Cavern performance still exists? Having this scanned in HD would be quite something.
Take 1 mostly used in anthology seems to be in very good condition. But the cuts to take 2 revealed that it is in the usual crappy quality. I think take 2 must only exist as some sort of higher generation print, and possibly the negative of take 1 survived.