First US Visit 1964 - Best Quality and Most Complete Footage?

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
HannibalTwin8

First US Visit 1964 - Best Quality and Most Complete Footage?

Post by HannibalTwin8 »

Wondering if any body could point me to a release that has the Maysles brothers (and others) footage of The Beatles First US Visit in 1964. I have the official DVD set (Why no blu-ray? Why no Sullivan blu-ray?} but wondering what else is out there. Any suggestions?
Yellowsubmarine

Re: First US Visit 1964 - Best Quality and Most Complete Footage?

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

They have to do something like an extended version next year for 60th anniversary of the first US visit.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I remember in the mid-90's when there was a bunch of hoopla surrounding a rebroadcast of the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan's show. I remember watching and waiting. Watching and waiting. And watching and waiting for the Beatles to play. At the time, it seemed like a lot of the program was padded by showing footage of The Beatles playing with the press, goofing around, and a lot of other footage of the effect The Beatles' arrival seemed to have locally. Now that the Ed Sullivan shows have been officially released in their entirety, all of the Beatles' magic can be placed contextually among the other TV-ready acts of the era.

The Beatles First US Visit was also released officially on DVD several years back. Complete with commentary by the film-maker.

As time has worn on, I have gravitated a bit more to the various video compilations which gather all available footage of the Fab Four. Press, concerts, etc.

I can envision a 60th Anniversary release of some kind. Perhaps with the cleaned up version of the Washington concert.

OK....I'm babbling a bit.
HannibalTwin8

Post by HannibalTwin8 »

Ziggy C wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:13 am I remember in the mid-90's when there was a bunch of hoopla surrounding a rebroadcast of the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan's show. I remember watching and waiting. Watching and waiting. And watching and waiting for the Beatles to play. At the time, it seemed like a lot of the program was padded by showing footage of The Beatles playing with the press, goofing around, and a lot of other footage of the effect The Beatles' arrival seemed to have locally. Now that the Ed Sullivan shows have been officially released in their entirety, all of the Beatles' magic can be placed contextually among the other TV-ready acts of the era.

The Beatles First US Visit was also released officially on DVD several years back. Complete with commentary by the film-maker.

As time has worn on, I have gravitated a bit more to the various video compilations which gather all available footage of the Fab Four. Press, concerts, etc.

I can envision a 60th Anniversary release of some kind. Perhaps with the cleaned up version of the Washington concert.

OK....I'm babbling a bit.
What are some of those compilations? Looking for the any footage from the period to expand on the First US Visit idea. I'm trying to get ready for the anniversary coming up in February.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

HannibalTwin8 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:48 pm
What are some of those compilations? Looking for the any footage from the period to expand on the First US Visit idea. I'm trying to get ready for the anniversary coming up in February.
The FAB releases which abound in this Forum...loaded with archival footage. There's a 23-volume set devoted to 1964. It shouldn't be too hard to find.